July 22, 2014

TV Guide Picks Up Reruns of 'Weeds'

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 25th 2010 3:21PM
WeedsWhile you weren't looking, the TV Guide Network changed into a channel you actually might want to watch. What was once a channel filled with a giant TV schedule grid and various celebrity interviews and tedious gossip stories is slowly (or maybe not so slowly, based on how things are have been progressing lately) becoming a channel with actual TV shows and content.

First they picked up repeats of ABC's 'Ugly Betty,' and then a few days ago we told you that they picked up repeats of HBO's 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' (with a new panel discussion segment hosted by Susie Essman). Now MediaWeek reports that the network will start showing reruns of the Showtime series 'Weeds.'

The fact that new owners Lionsgate wants to show some scripted shows on the channel is great news. This doesn't mean the grid is going away, it's just going to be a lot smaller.

Jim

Yeah, please don't edit the original content of Weeds episodes! The show is great, but if they begin to show edited versions of it, it'll just be as lousy and boring as any other run-of-the-mill-network reruns. I'll keep my Showtime, thank you very much.

March 27 2010 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

OK. No videos or music on VH1 or MTV. Now some want no Guide on TV Guide Channel. Many people loved watching Music Videos and Music on The Music Channels. And like another commenter said, some can't view tiny print screens. And many many Americans don't have alot of money to be paying for fancy extras. And the "Guide" feature on most services is a jumbled up mess. TV Guide is good because it is a simple logical good guide to use. Like MTV and VH1 and some other channels should have; If TV Guide is going to show a few other things, Don't compromise/ruin the feature that makes the channel what it is that many people like. If you want something much else do it somewhere else. Leave what is good and loved by many, alone!

March 27 2010 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tana green

Some people need to see the listings and now can't because of these stupid reruns. Not everybody is so rich that they have fancy tvs with special buttons. You're just a bunch of rich greedy gimmes.

March 27 2010 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda A.

I think this is just a ploy to sell the printed version of TV Guide because when they shrink down the program grid to make more room for whatever show, movie, etc., they're showing at the time, it's not easy for those of us with not-so-great vision to read it.

Also, why they changed their name to TV Guide "Network" is beyond me. They are NOT a "network." Networks have affiliates -- ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS -- THOSE are networks; they have affiliates. TV Guide "Network" has no affiliates, therefore, it is NOT a network.

March 27 2010 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

Yeah but wouldn't Weeds then be censored? I don't know about you, but I think that would totally take away from the show.

March 27 2010 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken

They showed a movie the other night with a guide that was barely noticable at the bottom! Lionsgate just might scrap the guide altogether and change the focus and name of the network showing more edited pay-cable re-treads, movies, etc.

March 27 2010 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Z!

It makes totally sense. The tv guide listings are becoming more and more obsolete as most people have a guide button on their remote and they are offering shows that are not in syndication anywhere else. Plus the box is much smaller now

March 25 2010 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Z!'s comment
Niraj

But in that case, Bob's first point is still valid:
"If I want to watch the show, I would vastly prefer to see it full screen rather than shrunk down to make room for program listings."

I agree with Bob...they should pick one or the other. Having both is inconvenient to everyone.

March 25 2010 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

Could someone explain the logic of this?

If I want to see what is on on other channels, I don't really want to be distracted by a show.

Does this really just not make sense or am I missing something?

March 25 2010 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply