October 25, 2014

'FlashForward' - 'Blowback' Recap

by Jason Hughes, posted Mar 26th 2010 3:45AM
Gabrielle Union(S01E13) While last week's mid-season premiere dived right into the mysteries behind the blackouts, revealing new secrets about Simon, as well as the missing chunks of Mark's vision, the series turned its attention to the more emotional stories this week. Mark continued working with Lloyd to piece together as much as he can about their shared vision, but it was Aaron and Demetri's futures that took center stage.

We even updated the status of Janis' ongoing attempt to ensure her vision of herself very pregnant does indeed come true. But while much of the first half of the season seemed to get mired in these personal stories, to the detriment of the overall suspense, everything is coming together so much cleaner now. I only hope it's not too late.

It's refreshing to see that there is more going on here than just the blackout and its root cause. That said, I fully expect Jericho to somehow be involved in the blackouts, as well. For now, though, they remind of The Company on 'Prison Break,' or really any other Machiavellian corporate bad guy we've seen in countless television shows. And it's always fun to watch the little guy going up against insurmountable odds like that.

I either didn't remember, or we didn't know, about Aaron's two-and-a-half month stint in jail, but it certainly explains the hard edges he's always displayed -- what's Mark's excuse? He put those edges to good use this week, tracking down the head of Jericho at his home and sending a very clear message. Still, Jericho has to be too big for a one-man operation to take down, no matter how motivated he is.

Motivation drove Zoe to some pretty severe extremes, as well, though she did so in her best lawyer-ly manner, by serving Demetri's boss with papers. I worked for ten years with lawyers, and I know how aggressive they can be. I also know that she is doing everything she's doing out of a sense of loyalty and love for Demetri. It's that alpha personality of hers.

While I liked seeing this stronger side of Zoe (why isn't Gabrielle Union a full castmember?), she still came across as very disrespectful to both Demetri and Wedeck. I do agree that the terrorist suspect is holding back, but I have a feeling it's not going to be what any of us suspects, and Zoe may regret working toward the woman's freedom.

The April 29, 2010 deadline is still looming, and it continues to add an intense level of excitement to each episode. I just wish we'd get more than the 'Present Day' tagline so we know when during the year these events are happening. Janis talked about needing to get impregnated within a week to reach the depth of pregnancy she had in her vision, but April 29 is only a month away.

I realize the last-minute change that pulled the show off the air for so long may have messed up some of their plans as far as events progressing in some semblance of real-time, but would a date kill you once in awhile? '24' reminds us what time it is down to the second on a regular basis. You can do it, 'FlashForward'! I'd love to know how much longer before Demetri is supposed to die, or how much time they have until the visions are upon us.

[To know where we've already been, you can find clips and full episodes of 'FlashForward' on SlashControl.]

Vallikat

I just watched this episode last night and I've been searching the net for some answers on the timeline.

It is apparent to me after Blowback that for the characters it is still November. Thus I'm very confused about how they plan to resolve this. I don't really expect this show to last beyond this season (and honestly, from the inception I have been curious as to how they would keep the story going past this season anyway). So with that in mind, I don't know how they expect to resolve anything pertaining to April 29th before the show goes on summer break (and what is expected to be its demise). I suppose they could "flashforward" the whole show in order to catch us up to the timeline. That feels like a cheat though and I hate to see that happen.

Anyway, as to Blowback specifically, I was disappointed in this episode after Revelation Zero. That episode really gave me hope for the future of the show. Unfortunately then Blowback fell right back into the same old patterns. Just plodding along without much really happening. With one notable exception: Aaron. I never would have thought that Aaron had that in him. For me that was completely out of left field. However it does give him something more active to do which is good.

I also thought the Lloyd/Mark interaction was good and revealed something I've been saying all along. Why aren't they pushing Charlie to reveal her flashforward if they think she knows something about D. Gibbons? Shouldn't Mark want to protect his daughter if he thinks she's going to be in contact with "a very bad man"?

March 29 2010 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JennyL

Flash Forward hit a series low in the ratings, barely beating Vampire Diaries. If we can keep this up we'll be rid of all Brannon Braga shows.

March 26 2010 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth

This show is ah-may-zing.

They are completely pulling my strings emotionally. I went right along with their character development of Simon -- hated him, started to understand him, cheering him killing that fat guy, totally into his friendship with Janis, and now psyched that he's tagging along to Somalia.

I love that we're learning more about Gabrielle Union and seeing what kind of person she is.

I loved seeing into Aaron's past with drinking, prison, and violence. Setting us up with what he went through losing his daughter, when she was a child and when she'd "died," got me totally into his fight getting her back now.

First I loved Lloyd, but now after his talk with Mark and their "agreement," something in his face made me think maybe he's the Brit we're not supposed to trust.

This show gets me cheering on violence like nothing else, because I'm always right there on the person's side where the writers want me to be. Not many shows can do that.

March 26 2010 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Binky

I agree, I like this week's episode too, even though it wasn't as strong as Revelation Zero. And the timeline confuses me as well. Obviously we know that they're not in real time otherwise Demetri would've been dead or shot already. So they may still be in early November. But again, it's still confusing since it appears like so much time has passed. But maybe it's just because the show has been off the air for so long. Anyway, I like the direction the show is going right now, hopefully it's enough to save it for at least another season.

March 26 2010 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Deej

Was that Timbaland in the final scene?

March 26 2010 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to The Deej's comment
Vallikat

Yes, that was Timbaland. Good catch. :)

March 29 2010 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

You say 24 does a good job of reminding you what time it is. On the day it takes place, maybe, but what year is it? 2015? With all the jumps in time between seasons, I have no idea what year it on the show.

March 26 2010 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zippy_zip74467

Demetri is suppose to be shot in the chest three times on a certain date. We know this, so why can't he wear a bullet proof vest?

March 26 2010 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kurt

Do we really need a review of this show?
This show was a great idea, watched the first few episodes then realized I could not care less about the characters and what happened to them. Poor execution and casting. Rest in peace Flashforward.

March 26 2010 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
the dude

wasn't janis in her second trimester in her flashforward that took place in like april supposedly? how they gonna pull that off if she wasn't pregnant around november? if demetri gets killed in march, we must NOT be in real time anymore(?), how much time passes before you have a memorial service for someone? there is something wrong with the timelines for me at this point, i have no idea where we are in time with this show anymore. is march soon or is it still last year in flashforward time?

while the episode was entertaining, it really was slow moving to me, a real lot of people sitting around and talking about plot and characterization, could not have cost much to make this episode. if you're not a fan at this point i really cannot see any one getting on board from scratch right now as it has too many plots hanging loose to pick up from a casual view.

March 26 2010 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

"I'd love to know how much longer before Demetri is supposed to die, or how much time they have until the visions are upon us."

It would certainly help create some sense of urgency that I guess we're all supposed to be feeling leading towards Demetri's death, April 29th, and the "other blackout."

Anyways, not as strong as last week's two-parter (as if anything could live up to that episode), but still all right.

March 26 2010 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply