September 2, 2014

'Grey's Anatomy' - 'Suicide is Painless' Recap

by Michael Pascua, posted Mar 26th 2010 1:18AM
Owen pre-Seattle Grace
(S06E18) We finally find out more about Owen's past this week on 'Grey's Anatomy.' The big story revolved around Owen and his time in the army. He's forever filled with guilt that he could have saved his friend's life if the two just held on for an extra few minutes. The biggest problem is that Owen can't put in his head the fact that his squad leader accepted that he was going to die and was at peace. Owen was afraid and still is today, causing him to have trouble sleeping at night. If he could open up to Christina or his therapist, then he might be able to be at peace with the situation.

I wish the show had a bit more of a budget for set design because I didn't believe one minute of the scene that was supposed to be the desert. The explosion was really cheesy looking, and I couldn't believe that Owen was the lone survivor.

Teddy's patient Kim (played by Sara Gilbert from 'Roseanne' and 'The Big Bang Theory') has terminal cancer and wanted an assisted suicide. I never knew that it was such an ordeal for an assisted suicide, but with no turning back, I understand that it should be intricate. Teddy supports the idea and wants to kill the patient, but Owen's past thinks that she can be saved. Sadly, the cancer is so terminal that even a cure arriving would be too late. I was used to Sara Gilbert being sarcastic and nerdy, but I was surprised how well she handled her role. I'll admit that I got choked up when she gave the "death stops being scary" speech. Is the role Emmy worthy? It's a bit early in the TV season to say she'll win, but Sara Gilbert deserves a nomination.

After having only minimal interaction between Derek and Meredith in the past few episodes, we find the couple not in post-marital bliss. Derek is curt with Meredith and then eventually steals her surgery. Somehow both Derek with the help of the chief and Meredith with Jackson come home happy to see each other and not angry.

Richard tries his best this week to not be "The Chief" but instead one of the guys. It's almost sad to watch. Not only did his age show ("her" versus "that"), no one wanted to eat with him because he's the team coach. I'd like to see the chief return to the head position soon after Derek realized that he wants to do surgeries instead of paperwork.

Callie is nervous about having kids, and her patients this week parallel this idea. The three friends all want to do extreme things for each other but don't realize they would be happy together doing something safer. I'm not a fan of the idea that Callie blurted out the one friend's dislike of the extreme vacations. Other than Callie and Arizona not holding hands, we don't get a verbal response. Let's hope that this relationship survives this setback.

On the minor notes, kudos for Christina being blunt as to why they had to re-do a test. Is it sanitary to handle a cell phone while dealing with frostbite? I cringe imagining that the residue will end up on an ear. Also, why did it seem like every shot before the commercial was of Owen? Finally, I really like the mutual respect that Jackson has with Meredith; his one quip about Dr. Seuss changed Meridith's point of view completely.

How did you like the episode? Leave comments below.

[Find clips and full episodes of 'Grey's Anatomy' at SlashControl.]

Erica H.

I am in agreement with many of these comments... what's up with the Owen character. He doesn't even seem like the kind that Christina would go for (her professor cardio god and burke.) This is just a dead plot and at some point we need to see some movement. This just feels like its at a slow lull in some place and someone needs to push it forward. I think its leaning toward his real feelings about teddy, but we will see.. That's another couple that just doesn't have heat.. McSteamy & Teddy... Look, I watch all of the repeats on Lifetime and tivo them and watch them while the kids are sleeping... I would have been better off watching them.. Come to think of it, yesterday during nap time was the ferry crash and Ellis died and Meredith almost drowning... there, that episode showed more about the characters and was more interesting than this whole season... Meredith is gone.. Derrick needs to go back to surgery, Richard has to be the chief again, and where was Alex???? lemme guess.. out in LA with Addison? Too Many characters are uninteresting and its getting bad... they need to do something quick before cancellation comes up next year..just a thought.

March 26 2010 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

Grimacing and putting on a confused look just doesn't cut it as acting. The Owen character is taking time away from far more interesting storylines.

March 26 2010 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mitch

When can we get rid of Owen. His character is annoying and the storylines are even worse.

March 26 2010 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan Schuchts

I had to fast forward through the war scenes- hit too close to home.

I did not know in advance that Sara Gilbert would be in this episode. I did not recognize her. But I thought she was great!

March 26 2010 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I actually really liked this episode, because it made me feel something for a character that I had no feelings for before (Owen). Although I wouldn't want such a emotional episode ever week on my kooky Grey's Anatomy, I think it was a great episode and had me in tears (I know I'm such a dork) a couple of times. I didn't find it boring at all, but rather gripping.

March 26 2010 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
the dude

i think that sloan and tiger should be close buddies. they seem to have one thing in common, and it isn't golf.

ok, owen, the flashbacks and the trauma he endured and the reality of war time, i hope that at some point we get some closure for the character. all we seem to have for him is his trauma from combat driving him in his work and social life. where do we go from here? at some point it becomes a lizzy/denny plot rut.

grey has become almost a ghost on the show this season. while it allows the other characters to get more screen time, grey needs something to make her relevant again with the all new plot threads. not just smiling at derek as he climbs into bed at the end of the show.

March 26 2010 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

"I never knew that it was such an ordeal for an assisted suicide." Well, assisted suicide is illegal in 43 states, so it's far more difficult than you might think.

While the idea of a story about physician-assisted suicide looks good on paper, the execution left a lot to be desired. At no time did we really get why this patient wants to die. You'd think it might be more emotional. Of course, I've never experienced anything like that so I don't really know.

March 26 2010 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xina

First I have to say, Teddy didn't KILL her patient, she supported her patient's right to end her own suffering. She didn't force her to take those pills, she agreed that her patient suffering was doing no one any good. HUGE difference between killing her and what Teddy did.

Second, the setting and the explosion weren't the important parts, and I think you kind of missed that. Does it matter if YOU think others should have survived, and incidentally, others did...the explosion didn't kill the LT, his injuries did, the others did in the explosion, the LT from his injuries sustained during said explosion..period. This isn't an action movie, it is a TV drama. If you focused on the explosion being lame and the dessert looking like a studio set, then you missed what was important-Owen and his LT interacting. This wasn't just some soldier that Owen wanted to save, this was his friend, one he apparently shared quite a bit with. And Owen DOES get what his problem was, as evident by what he said to the husband near the end of the show. I think Owen knows what the deal is, but letting go, and knowing you should let go are two different things.

I completely disagree. Owen is one of the best characters on the show, and am surprised anyone could say his story is boring. Maybe some would rather watch Derrick act childish and steal surgeries just cause he can?

March 26 2010 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yulande

The scene was filmed in the California desert, not on a set.

March 26 2010 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

Before the show, we were hearing how great Sara Gilberts acting would be in this episode...she didn't look sick, much less like someone dying.
And this story about Owen is just sooo boring. Did anyone even do someone last night?

March 26 2010 at 8:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply