November 20, 2014

'Project Runway' - 'Hey, That's My Fabric' Recap

by Michael Pascua, posted Mar 26th 2010 3:34AM
 Vivienne Tam shows the contestants a pretty butterfly
(S07E10) Designer Vivienne Tam visited 'Project Runway' this week. The challenge revolved around creating an original textile using HP computers. Along with the original print, the contestants had $100 to buy supplemental fabric at Mood and two days to complete the look. Maya has the most trouble because she isn't very comfortable using patterns in general.

The concept for the challenge was great. I understand that the time spent on the HP's was just shameless advertising for their sponsor, but it was important for the challenge. It looks like so much fun to run a paintbrush against a monitor and have very accurate responses.

The fabric designs seemed good on paper, but I have a feeling that only one hour of designing the textile wasn't enough. Ironically, the designers weren't given time to sketch either. Mila's fabric took no creativity at all to me; it's as if a toddler drew some straight lines. Conversely, Jonathan's is too light in the print-out that you can barely see it. It probably didn't print because of Maya using all of the red, black. and orange ink. Emilio gets narcissistic, and I'm not a fan.

Tim goes to critique the contestants. Tim wonders whether or not Mila's dress was supposed to be day or evening. Mila explains that it's a long day gown. Tim reads the text as "Seth Aaron E. Sosa" (SAESOSA) and his 40s silhouette gets mocked. Seth Aaron does a decent job with the non print section, acing most of his pieces before day two and the arrival of his fabric. Maya has a mental block; Tim tries his best to comfort her. Tim tells Anthony that he may not have been too ambitious and that could be his downfall.

Along with Heidi, Michael and Nina, Vivienne Tam guest judged. Seth Aaron's jacket was great, but the shirt collar confused me. Jonathan continues to provide pastels, but I'm more disappointed with the very soccer mom hairstyle. Emilio's was odd to me, if he helped fix the graphics, the message would have made sense. I liked Vivienne's suggestion to add a heart in the black section because it looked plain to them.Lorena continues to help her designers with the strong walk. Mila's dress is so awkward that Brandise has to lift the skirt. It's as if the Olympic rings started moving. Anthony's dress was very basic.

With Jay being the only safe contestant, the high scoring contestants were: Emilio (sophisticated, strong overall), Seth Aaron (charming, polished), and Maya (electric, intriguing). The winner was Emilio. The low scores came from Mila (Gay Flag, 70s), Anthony (same silhouette, normal) and Jonathan (horrible jacket, fabric looks dirty). Anthony was finally eliminated.

I was surprised to see Anthony survive so long, but he coasted with some decent pieces while people continuously self-destructed. He peaked at the Marie Claire challenge and never matched the success. I would have rather seen Mila finally get the cut. How did you think the elimination should have gone? Leave comments below.

[Find clips and episodes of 'Project Runway' at SlashControl.]

Z!

All of the comments on emilio's logo fabric proves he did a good job. if you ever see it any where again you will know who made the garment. I will admit i didnt see it at first but once it was explained i got it. And the way he used it turned out really nice I thought and I was surprised.

March 27 2010 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I agree with the others that Mila should've gone home. Anthony may be lacking in range as a designer but what he made last night looked MILES better than that monstrosity Mila marched down the runway, plus her model couldn't even walk in it! She should've been auf'd on the spot for that thing. And the judges' mocking of Jonathan's design was just utterly classless and he had every right to be offended. It's the first time I've felt that the judges truly owed a designer an apology.

March 26 2010 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Anthony was on of my finalists, so it is sad to see someone with personality leave. Emilio is too much drama and not enough production. do they dar let a married guy win?

I think one of the models leaves next week and not because she wants to go

March 26 2010 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

I hated Emilio's fabric...looked like something Dooney & Burke would use on a purse for teenagers.
I totally agreed with Tim, but I took it a step further when I first saw it. I read it as ES

March 26 2010 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ann's comment
Ann

I read it as ES loves SA.
and I was like what?! is Emilio using his fabric to confess his love to Seth Aaron?

March 26 2010 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

The wrong person went home, the wrong person won. No question this week.

Jonathan shouldn't have even been in the bottom, Emilio and that hideous pattern should have. Jonathan's didn't look dirty. In fact, I thought he had one of the more chic textiles this week. Emilio had one of the weakest. He was supposed to be providing an egocentric bit of branding... but branding usually requires that people see it and think of you... not see it and instantly impose another designer's initials on the thing. It was just bad, and the judges loved it. Hideous. They want to call into question the taste levels of some contestants... they should look in the mirror after last night's win.

Emilio shouldn't have gone, however... that right should've been reserved for Mila. Shocker her textile sucked. She's a one trick pony, even moreso than Anthony was.

And lastly, I think designers should be kicked out for their own hideous style. Jay and those shorts, shirt, bird-do, etc... Anthony with that members only jacket... I could go on and on... Why do designers so often put themselves in such absolutely atrocious clothes? I think someone should say to Jay, "Hey buddy, you think you're great, but maybe those short short jean cutoffs suggest otherwise?"

March 26 2010 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I also thought that Mila should have gone home, I hated everything about that dress from the textile print, to the other fabric choices, to the silhouette, to poor Brandise not being about to walk in it.

I understand why the judges sent Anthony home, he's more of a one-note than the rest of the designers left. He likes to make pretty dresses, which I'm sure he'll continue to do in the future, but I'll miss his clips that PR used as filler, they always brought a smile...

I also don't think Emilio deserved the win on this one. I was with Tim on the print, but thought it looked better on the runway than close-up. I personally would have liked to see Seth Aaron win (if he doesn't make Top 3 it's a crime) or even Maya (I liked her print the best!)

And I would have worn Jonathan's outfit over Jay's any day of the week, and thought the judges were too harsh on him.

March 26 2010 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

I loved this episode because it was such a different type of challenge, but Tim Gunn and the judges seemed especially cruel tonight. I was cringing when Michael Kors was mocking Jonathan's jacket. Sure, it was awful but the mocking was really inappropriate. Jonathan looked rightfully furious.

March 26 2010 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kathy's comment
sarah

i agree. i thought the laughing and jeering at Johnathan's piece really showed the ugly side of fashion. it made me want to change the channel.

i hate that Anthony got eliminated. i soooo wanted to see Mila go. that was the worst.

March 26 2010 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lynn

What was the point of the headline - 'Hey that's my fabric' - you didn't reference it in the piece. I got the impression someone had used another contestant's fabric - what was it all about?

March 26 2010 at 5:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to lynn's comment
Michael Pascua

I don't think that the phrase was ever really said (Like the titles to The Amazing Race or Survivor episodes) but the phrase refers to their prints that they made. So it was used in the context of "Hey that's my fabric walking down the runway" or when they arrived in the work room they had a roll of their fabric waiting for them on day two (so, "Hey that's my fabric that I designed on my work desk").

March 26 2010 at 6:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

It was the episode name, that's all.

March 26 2010 at 7:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply