October 26, 2014

'Caprica' - 'End of Line' Recap

by Brad Trechak, posted Mar 27th 2010 3:38AM
Caprica(S01E09) The great thing about 'Caprica' (and 'Battlestar Galactica' before it) is its ability to completely mess with your expectations. Granted, tonight's mid-season finale contained more predictability than not, but there were one or two surprises that cemented this series as one of the best on television right now.

Of course, the show ended with a ton of cliffhangers, at least one of which is easy to predict how it will be resolved based on what has happened before (and will happen again ... sorry. Couldn't resist). On a side note, Amanda Graystone was using a tablet computer at her bed. It must be a PC tablet, because if it was an iPad, the Cylon War would likely never have happened (they're so much more user friendly).

On to the spoilers ...

There were two noticeable continuity winks in the episode. The first was Daniel playing the 'Caprica' theme on the piano. The second was when the STO members answered with "so say we all."

Much of the content of this episode was predictable, starting with Zoe. It was obvious she was going to accidentally kill the cute lab tech (and that he was faking his brief confession to help her) and then get destroyed herself. We haven't seen the last of her, though. For those that recall, Sister Clarice made a copy a few episodes back. Resurrection is such a Cylon thing to do.

It was also obvious that Tamara was going to kill her father to stop him from searching for her. The only surprise in that regard came from the identity of the "helper" that Joseph Adama found in V-World. Who knew that the Tauron woman who was helping him at home and hitting on him understood V-World so well? Actually, I'm a bit vague on her identity. Who was that woman?

It's possible that Amanda survived her suicide attempt as well. Either that or she'll be getting her own avatar. The only question left to ask: was the phone call to Daniel at the end about the destruction of the Cylon, the death of his wife or both? It might have even been about the collapse of his company.

Once the interference happened, it was easy to tell that Sister Clarice was going to survive her assassination attempt. This was further cemented by the sudden coincidence of seeing Amanda Graystone on the bridge, as well as the technical interference. The background music that was playing while Amanda pondered her wedding ring was a bit too much and distracted from the scene.

James Marsters' character of Barnabas is a total dick. He's the sort of dick that only uses people, as well as spiritual organizations like the STO in a grab for power. He's also looking older and slightly fuller in the face than his gaunt 'Buffy' days.

The only place a bed in a lake would work is in V-World. In reality, it would warp the wood.

Thus we end the first arc in the series of 'Caprica.' What did you think? Did I miss anything in my analysis? Can you possibly wait until October for the second half of the season?

[View episodes and clips of 'Caprica' on SlashControl.]

Tom

Just want to say that when I survey the field (and I quite often note that there is more good tv on the air that at any other time I can remember) I'm really warming up to the idea that Caprica is (one of) the best shows on television. It surprises me too.

I love the changing perspectives of Zoe that others have complained about. Its not literal, its creative license--and it gets a great, beautiful young actress more air time. I'm not complaining about that. I don't understand people complaining this or that ASPECT of a science fiction show isn't realistic. You know what isn't realistic about this show--that pyramid would be as popular as the NFL is. Have you seen them play that game? Its like a combination of the worst parts of field hockey, jai alai and soccer.

But I digress. I am loving this show, and I am thrilled the BSG universe lives on, but it is for different reasons altogether. This is really great soap opera. The acting is Superb! The tension is real, and the storylines are engaging. The special effects are phenomenal. This is one of the best things going. I hope it lasts for a while.

I just have one question that kind of eats at me--I don't know if anyone else has already brought this up earlier in the season (so sorry if this rehashes already covered territory). Just exactly why does the Defense Department need 100,000 robot warriors? Is there a Colonial enemy that I am not aware of? Is there waring among the worlds? They all seem to get along pretty well to me. From the original series to Ronald Moore's BSG to Caprica--they all seem quite cozy actually. The mythology of the show centers around war with the Cylons. So tell me, who the hell is the enemy that necessitates such a tremendous robot army to defend against?

April 01 2010 at 2:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
twayne

DanH,
I agree there are some artistical flaws that may improve with the next part of the season.
Certainly, there are great possibilities in story lines which link this shows direction, and the story lines in BSG.
If so desired, there is a possibility of another spin off with a whole story arc that has only been scaped at the surface in BSG.
I couldn't say if the francise is willing to do so, but I see the direction that the first half season was going in the last three episodes. Prior to this, I believe the foundation of the BSG history time line (the new show) was being laid. The season first half ending brought much together even in the flaws, to move forward. From there, I believe it will get every interesting.
Just my opinion, we'll see. Any idea when the next half season begins?

March 30 2010 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan H

I really don't know why I care about what is happening to these characters, but for some reason I did. For a 40 minute show (with 20 minutes of commercials), I guess I would say there is about 10 minutes I like, and 30 minutes where I think it is just silly, not very well thought out, or a poor attempt to be allegoricalbecause it is too over the top to be comparable to real life.

No one has yet to answer my question...Up until the cylon attacked, why would anyone have cared about it? What did it ever do to actually demonstrate sentience? What was so impressive about it? It was a robot! We have those right now! It never acted out, never demonstrated that it was thinking...considering all of the other tech that exists in caprica, what had it demonstrated that was so impressive?

The whole Zoey inside of it was silly...the whole switching perspectives between the cylon and Zoey was even more silly, and the capper was the cylon seeing Zoey's reflection in the rearview mirror. Certainly not realistic, but they were clearly going for artistic, but I don't find it artistic either. If they were going for artistic, it should have been the other way around...the vision of Zoey would be driving the car and see the cylon in the rearview mirror if you want to see the duality of the character.

And certainly it isn't the only show to do it, but any show that uses the "Alias intro" to start an episode in 2010 is not allowed to be called one of the most intelligent and well written shows on tv today (and if Lost does it, which is my favorite tv show of all time, I'll still stand by this statement). By "Alias intro" I am talking about showing the most stress full moment at the end of the episode first, then follow that with "3 days earlier..." or whatever time frame. It is hack, cliche, over used, and a poor writer's attempt at foreshadowing. PERIOD. Even when they do it in shows I like, it knocks those shows down a peg. I seem to remember Alias doing it all of the time, including its pilot, and that is the first time I remember seeing it. I found it unique the first time I saw it, but after the fifth time, I saw it, it just felt lazy.

March 29 2010 at 8:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

Brad: The woman "helping" Adama is the court official that helped him track down Tamara's "New Jack City" guide a couple of episodes ago (She's been around since the first couple of episodes).

Her name is Evelyn. "Interesting" coincidence: Google to see what name is listed as Admiral Adama's mother.

March 29 2010 at 3:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

It's one of the little production touches, like the retro cars and clothing and men wearing hats, that reminds us that this is not only a different place, but a past time relative to our previous glimpse of this universe.

March 29 2010 at 2:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stinky

Did no one see the connection between all the smoking and the fire that the Graystone family home suffered when Zoe was a child? Not only that, but Daniel's Ero's Day card to Amanda called her the light and fire in his life. Fire is a theme and that is why they smoke.

It's all forshadowing for the explosions that came at the end of the episode.

March 28 2010 at 11:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eugene

I love all the murder on the show, people being cruel, assassinations, terrorist bombings, religious murders, all great stuff.

But the smoking, why do they have to glorify smoking like that? Don't they realize smoking is bad for you?

March 28 2010 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Pettus

I like the show overall but the only thing I'd change is the cheesy opening sequence of every episode.

March 28 2010 at 2:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KenMo

I'm no smoking Nazi but... :)
I don't really see why everyone in the show smokes. Is it some attempt to be controversial?
To me, it's a distraction and adds nothing to the story.

March 28 2010 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
William

"No comments on the episode title, from "Tron"..."

Actually, I figured that the title was a reference to what the Hybrids kept saying in BSG: "blah blah blah ... end of line ... blah blah blah".

March 27 2010 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply