September 2, 2014

Jane After Dark: 'Supernatural' - Doesn't Anyone Stay Dead on This Show?

by Jane Boursaw, posted Mar 27th 2010 4:25PM
Supernatural, In the Beginning
Seriously, doesn't anyone stay dead on 'Supernatural'? Not that I'm complaining. I was devastated at the end of season three when Dean was attacked by the hell hound and dragged off to hell, and pretty excited when he was yanked back to life. I kept waiting for some big reveal that his resurrection was all a dream or alternate universe or something, but after meeting the angel Castiel, I'm convinced that Dean is back for real.

It's interesting. I kept wondering why Dean had gone to hell rather than heaven, because he's a good person doing good things in the world, so why wouldn't he go to heaven? On the other hand, Dean didn't believe in heaven or God or angels up to this point, so maybe that would automatically send him to hell? Nah, I'm not buying that.

On the third hand (because it's 'Supernatural,' so there can actually be three hands), Dean made the deal to save Sam's life with a demon, and maybe that deal included being sent to hell. I was thinking it just meant that he would die, but not necessarily that he'd go to hell. I'm going with door number three on this one. The crossroads demon sent him to hell.

I'm half-way through season four right now, and this is my favorite season so far. As some of you have said, the mythology really kicks in during this season. I love that Sam looks like he's headed down a Darth Vader path to the dark world, but I can certainly understand Sam wanting to exorcise demons with his powers. Both he and Dean would likely be dead by now if Sam hadn't done that.

I also think that Sam is strong enough to push back against the forces of evil. He's believed in some pretty impossible things up to this point, and that alone makes me think he would never go all the way to the dark side. Or if he did, he'd find a way back, especially with Dean watching his back.

Dean, apparently, remembers hell, but we're only seeing little flashes of red eyes and such in his nightmares. I hope we get to see the real deal at some point. And I wish he would do some, as he says, "couples therapy" with Sam about what happened to him there. If anyone can understand, it would be Sam.

I'm also guessing that since John Winchester made it out of the gates of hell, that Dean probably didn't see him down there. Where is John? I'm guessing in heaven. He's a good person, too, but probably got sent to hell same as Dean -- because he made the deal with the demon to save Dean's life.

Some favorite moments so far:

'Mystery Spot': The whole episode was pretty funny, but that opening scene with Asia playing on the radio was fun to watch over and over.

'Ghostfacers': It always puts a different spin on things when the show is told from the perspective of someone other than the brothers. We got a bit of that in season two's 'Roadkill' with Tricia Helfer. Plus, it's just fun that the show riffed on all the ghost-chaser shows on TV right now.

'Yellow Fever': I laughed out loud when Dean was being terrorized by that tiny little dog with the pink ribbon.

'Metamorphosis': Ewwww...

'In the Beginning':
This is probably my favorite episode so far, mainly because it dumped several major shockers on us all at once. It wasn't John who was the hunter, it was Dean and Sam's mom, Mary, and her father! I did not see that coming, nor did I see this episode playing out the way it did, with Mary telling Dean that she would do anything to keep her children from entering the life she'd led as a hunter. I guess she didn't listen to Dean's warning about that fateful day when the yellow-eyed demon paid a visit to Sam's nursery.

We also got to see how the Metallicar came into being. This is one of those episodes, though, where you go, wait, if Dean hadn't gone back in time, then things would have turned out much differently. John would have bought that hippie VW bus, and Mary might be dead, having never lived long enough to have Sam and Dean. It's one of those 'Terminator' mind twisters -- if Sarah Connor hadn't conceived a son with John's time-traveling father, etc...

On to the rest of season four. I'll probably wait until season five is released on DVD to watch it, as it's a little easier for me to watch and write about that way. Or not.

sean

Just wait for season 5, mythology on crack....

April 09 2010 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A.S

To answer the question in your title - no. Multiple times no.

April 07 2010 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

just saying, SN in the best show ever.

You should finish the 4th season, and see the episodes of season 5th that have allready air, so you could do the reviews of the show!!! (or someone in tv squad), Brett love used to do it, but now he reviews the show on clique clack :)

March 29 2010 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane Boursaw

Thanks for bearing with me in my 'Supernatural' newbiness. I'm just watching 'Heaven and Hell' and wow, those angels are nasty! They must be Old Testament wrath-of-god type angels.

March 29 2010 at 4:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jedaqia

Apparently you're just getting into this. Dean went to hell cause of the demon deal...& other reasons mentioned in Season 5. But you're not there yet so no spoilers for you. & the heaven thing....don't worry you'll see that in Season 5 too. Cmon Jane, keep up with us, all the SPN fans hardcore out there. We love to welcome new fans!

March 29 2010 at 1:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Ah, thanks for clarifying about the demon deals. It makes complete sense. The demons must be pretty ticked that Dean was yanked back to life. And that John managed to escape, for that matter. :-)

March 28 2010 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

Yep, Jane, you seem to have missed a pretty big plot point there. The other commenters have already said it: the crossroad demon bought souls in exchange for favours or wishes. From there on, it didn't matter what you did, Hell owned our ass. You got a maximum of 10 years or so, then the debt came due and Hell collected.

There was never any doubt Dean would be dragged to Hell once the year was up. That was why Sam, in particular, spent all of season 3 being emo and guilt-ridden.

John did the same with the yellow-eyed demon: sold his soul in exchange for Dean's life. But John Winchester is kick-ass and managed to escape Hell when the demon gate was opened. They never say, but one assumes from the sparkly lights that he went to Heaven. Probably by kicking down the door.

March 27 2010 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teresa

Oh, and in season 4 you will find out more about Dean's stint in Hell. I'm not spoiling anything, I just wanted to feed you a little morsel, hehe. It's quite the revelation, too.

Also, I can't listen to "Heat of the Moment" now without thinking about "Mystery Spot", lol. And yeah, "Ghostfacers" was fun.

March 27 2010 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teresa

I loved "In the Beginning!" It was so cool to see that their mom was so bad-ass!

And yeah, it's a known fact (I thought) that if you make a deal with the Crossroads demon you go to Hell. Usually, the deal lasts for 10 years but I think Dean made his for a shorter period of time. My memory on the details is sketchy now. I watched all 4 seasons within a span of a couple of weeks so I can't remember a lot of the details now. Remember the episode from season 2 or 3 where the hellhounds were introduced? It took place in the 20s or thereabouts, with Robert Johnson (or a Robert Johnson-like blues singer, I forget) running from the hounds. That was because his deal with the crossroads demon was expiring so the hounds were after him, to take him to Hell. I'm almost certain that episode covered the "make a deal with the x-roads demon, go to Hell" thing. I'll have to rewatch the entire series again sometime.

March 27 2010 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Manal

Actually, anyone that made a deal with a crossroads demon (or yellow-eyes in John's case) goes to hell, that's the deal. You're basically giving the demons your soul in exchange for a certain amount of time and a 'wish'. That's why it was so hard for Dean and Sam, they both knew Dean was going to hell and that he was going to suffer. If he was going to Heaven it would've been sad but not as bad either.

March 27 2010 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Manal's comment
Manal

Sorry, forgot to add that in "In the Beginning", it's not that she didn't listen, it's that her memories of the boys were erased so she didn't know about the warning anymore.

I'm so glad you're watching this, this show needs way more recognition then it's getting!

March 27 2010 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply