September 17, 2014

'Smallville' Producers Sue the WB and CW

by Brad Trechak, posted Mar 29th 2010 9:21AM

SmallvilleHollywood in-fighting is nothing new, and it's usually pretty interesting. The latest example is that the current producers behind 'Smallville' are suing both Warner Brothers and the CW. The accusation is that the company is "short-selling" the show to the network and thereby cutting the producers out of potential profit.

Money has always seemed a problem for the show. While 'Smallville' does not have the worst special effects in history (that award goes to classic 'Doctor Who'), it does sometimes appear to be made on a shoestring budget. In this recessionary environment, it should be no surprise that everybody is fighting like wolves for a bigger piece of the pie. More's the pity since the show has gotten better in the last two or three years.

The curious thing is the long-term effect. Will the producers for the tenth season now be replaced? Will this be the final nail in the coffin to make the show's tenth season its last? What do you think?

John

Umm I doubt Tom Welling will ever be a walmart greeter...

April 11 2010 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
me

I never liked this show or the idea of teenie bopping Superman.. It was too pop culture for me. Especially having grown up when Christopher Reeves was The Man Of Steel.. (R.I.P.)

Plus it just doesn't follow the comics at all. As long as this show has gone on one would think Smallville would have been flooded with federal agents or the cia trying to uncover all the rumors of fantastic things going on..

Plus, he NEVER knew Lex Luthor until he went to Metropolis.. I'm not even a Superman comic reader and I know that much..

I hate when TV does this to movies or comics twisting things to no end but to make young teen girls hot for some ex Model turned pseudo actor.

Let the show fail.. Life will go on..

In 20 years we'll see the main star working as a Wal-Mart greeter and he'll still have fan pages up wondering what happened to him..

April 06 2010 at 2:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

"Will this be the final nail in the coffin to make the show's tenth season its last?"

One can only hope.

March 30 2010 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

The original producers Miles Millar and Alfred Gough are suing Warner Brothers and the CW, not the current producers!!!

March 29 2010 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

I am a big smallville fan. I always looked forward to the Thursday night Smallville/ Supernatural combo night. Now the network has buried Smallville on Friday night - one of the worst nights of the week. They put that horrible vampire show on thursday in its place to capitalize on the vampire thing. The network is obviously trying to kill the show and it's too bad - the show has a lot of fans and the CW has very little else going on. When it's gone they'll be sorry.

March 29 2010 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

Here's my first thought: How much did the producers really think they'd get if Warner Brothers opened it up to other networks? The show is in its 10th season. Who would buy a show in its 10th season when it's already running out of places to go, plotwise?

March 29 2010 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply