April 23, 2014

'The Amazing Race' - 'Anonymous?'

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Mar 29th 2010 12:20AM
Brent and Caite transport coconuts on 'The Amazing Race'
(S16E07) Who'd be a better sponsor for the seventh episode of this season's 'The Amazing Race' than 7-Up? While I'm surprised there wasn't product placement throughout the show, it was certainly mentioned enough. And, now one team even has a lifetime supply of the beverage.

While it was a nice reprieve from the Travelocity Roaming Gnome, it makes me miss the old days when commercials were just in the commercials. What? You say I'm promoting products? Not so ... er, pass me that glass of 7-Up, please.

The dense shall remain dense while the bright get dimmer
Oh my. So many teams made so many mistakes tonight that it made an armchair warrior like myself feel so superior. After all, I wouldn't make such foolish mistakes, would I? Actually, I probably would if I lasted into the final six teams. I'd imagine the pressure of the race tends to mess with their common sense. At least one team seems to be getting more dense by the week, though.

Here are tonight's glaring team errors:
  • Steve and Allie left their backpacks at the detour. Since they had their passports and money with them, they decided to just go on without them. In retrospect, I think they made a wise choice.That said, I hope Steve gets a shirt soon.
  • Three teams left coconuts back at the start of the detour -- Caite and Brent, Jet and Cord, and Carol and Brandy.
  • Michael and Louie might have accidentally broken their roadblock clue bottle, but they knew to bring it with them to the shore. Jet and Cord left their bottle on the boat, made it to the pit stop, then had to go back to retrieve it. They were so off their game this week!
  • Anonymous. Enough said. Now I'm sure schools are teaching Nintendo and texting. Brent, it is indeed "unanimous." The words have vastly different meanings.
My ox is broken!
Yes, the infamous words of Colin in his meltdown on 'The Amazing Race 5' kept running through my mind as Brent and Caite battled with their reluctant ox. True, they weren't loose in a field with the ox, but it seemed broken nonetheless. I would think any team should be a bit leery of oxen as they tend to do what they want to do. But, then again, the other choice was dealing with a racing tortoise. Steve thought they were cool. He and Allie did well with theirs. It seems that the folks most impatient with any of the animals on the show often have the most trouble with them. Cases in point -- Brent and Caite with their ox, Brandy and Carol with their tortoise. Maybe the other teams have a tad more Dr. Doolittle in them, eh?

It seems that more than the ox is broken with Caite and Brent. It must have been a fluke that they started out so strong in the beginning of the season. I'm tired of them fussing at each other, Caite crying, Brent threatening to quit. Make them stop! Carol and Brandy are no better. I can't believe they've been finishing as well as they have with their lack of a relationship with each other. One of them blamed the other for leaving a coconut behind. Hey, at least Caite had it right ... why, it's just so unfair! Unfair that the other teams either accepted their screw-up or were careful not to leave a coconut behind.

The locale and the pit stop
One of the things I most enjoy about this show is the chance to peek in on other countries. Maybe I'm just as dense as Caite, but I wasn't familiar with Seychelles at all. I don't believe I've ever even heard of it. But ... wow. What stunning scenery! So many of the island paradises of the world have been trampled by mankind. Yet the whole area seemed pristine, gorgeous and so clean. I think their coconuts look like rocks, but I forgive them for that.

Steve and Allie, my fast-growing favorites, made it to first place at the welcome mat sans their backpacks. They won a dinner by the ocean, a massage, $7,000 each and all the 7-Up they can drink. I was happy for them -- they have the strongest bond of any parent/child team ever on the show. Jordan and Dan came in second. I'm warming to them a bit. Brent and Caite arrived third while Michael and Louie made it to fourth on their heels.

Jet and Cord, in the most miserable leg they've run, made it fifth but were sent back for the bottle clue, which enabled Carol and Brandy to slide into the fifth place slot. Thankfully, it was the second non-Philimination leg of the season, so the cowboys remain in the game. They need to get their mojo back. While I respect their mature and easy-going ways, I don't want to see them handle being eliminated before Brandy/Carol or Brent/Caite go. Giddy-up, cowboys! Get back on those horses!

Will Jet and Cord be able to recover from their non-Philimination extra task next week?
Yes, they just had a bad week295 (50.8%)
No, I think they're in trouble85 (14.6%)
I don't know I just don't want Carol and Brandy to beat them!201 (34.6%)

Eirik

Another reason just occurred to me to not allow the racers to roam around a city: They could start scouting it. While true the race often uses off-the-beaten-path locations for their challenges, there are some pretty predictable locations that you might get familiar with.

For example, you might get familiar with the city transit system. In a couple hours, you could easily figure out what stops there are for major landmarks, stadiums, waterfront locations, etc. Even just figuring out the best way to get to an airport, the closest travel agency, etc, could be an advantage if all they are doing the next day is leaving.

March 29 2010 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eirik's comment
Sigma982

Actually, at some points, they might even have more time than it appears. From what I understand, it's not always a 12-hour break between legs. Yes, if someone arrives at 1:24am, they leave at 1:24pm. But it's not necessarily 12 hours later. It could be 36 hours later. I forget where I saw this, but they never say it's the next day, and I believe there are occasions where the pit stop is extended for various reasons (whether it's weather, flight scheduling, etc.)....

March 29 2010 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

I think when Phil was telling Steve and Allie what they won, Allie was probably thinking, keep your stinking 7-Up and give me my backpack instead.

March 29 2010 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I really don't like that they're stuck without their packs... It seems unfair. Fundamentally, unfair.

They had to swim to the boats to start with. We see the detectives dive in, and 2 seconds later, in the very next shot, they're on their boat, changing into dry clothes from their dry backpacks... Ummmmmmmmmm... how did the backbacks get onto their boat dry?

And when each other team got off their boat at the end, they all left their packs.

If the detectives had production staff moving their bags onto the boat for them, why didn't Steve and Allie?

I'm actually pretty pissed about this, because I think this is a fundamental bastardization of the fairness of the race. If all the other teams had their bags transported to and from the boat for them, what's the deal?

At the very least, they should be able to retrieve the packs.

March 29 2010 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Mike's comment
Eirik

I suspect that they were supposed to bring their packs to a designated area for transport, which was someplace on the beach. You leave something behind somewhere else and you're stuck. This happened on a recent season, where a couple guys mis-read a clue and left their shoes behind while getting into a costume, thinking they were coming back to drop it off at the end. They weren't allowed to go back and get the shoes once they checked in and were forced to spend race money on new shoes at the airport.

And I don't know, but suspect, that the racers aren't allowed to leave the Pitstop area once they check in. I imagine that the production staff has to keep a close eye on them to make sure they all start on time, so letting people go off after check in to retrieve their bags, while maybe not unsafe, might be unwise.

March 29 2010 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sigma982

The thing is, Steve and Allie left their backpacks at the TURTLE leg. All the others either put it in the oxcart or took it with them to the boat/bottle leg. If you brought it with you to the boat/bottle leg, then you kept it. Steve and Allie left it at the leg BEFORE that. Hence, no backpack for you!

I'm sure they can pick up some clothes nearby (an "I heart Seychelles" t-shirt perhaps...or maybe a "I Love Seychelles Seashells" shirt....and add on a cool pair of sneakers that you can then try and sell to a taxicab driver in Russia in exchange for cab fare.......!

March 29 2010 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sassy

We will now use anonymous when we mean unanimous just because it was so darn funny last night. Those two "models" are so childish and peckish. I'd like to see a double elimination next week with them going hand in hand with the "mean lesbians". I don't suppose that's possible but it will make me smile all week just thinking about it.

March 29 2010 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jDub

I was actually thinking, "For a dude his age, Steve looks GOOD without his shirt." Not as good as the cowboys in their board shorts, but not bad.

March 29 2010 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

What a tense episode! As soon as the Cowboys ended up in the latter half to get to the island, I was already worried for them because as fantastic as they are, they don't seem to have that competitive fire that some of the other teams have. The back and forth on who will be Philiminated between them and Brandy/Carol was excruciating. Thank goodness it was a non-elimination race and I have no doubts that Jet/Cord will at least do respectable next week.

Hoping Carol/Brady or Brent/Caite leave next week. Or randomly Louie/Michael. Haven't really warmed up to them yet. Love the other teams though.

March 29 2010 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nok

La Digue, probably the most photographed beach on the planet. Spectacular scenery...what a shame all these locales and this show are still shot on standard def. There is no excuse for the producers not to shoot in HD.

March 29 2010 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to nok's comment
Ryan

The excuse is that HD cameras are too big (and expensive) to carry in all of the various locales they go to. The show certainly has the budget to afford the cameras, but I'm thinking they are more worried about their efficiency and how much work it would be for the camera person.

March 29 2010 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

According to the previews for next week, Jet and Cord are in trouble. But it sounds like Carol and Brande will get Uturned next week.

March 29 2010 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Edward's comment
Zwicker

I wouldn't put much stock in the preview. They show drama, which doesn't always affect the results. The previews for last night's episode made it seem like "anonymous" Brent and Caite had an insurmountable meltdown when they in fact finished in second place.

March 29 2010 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zwicker

Forgetting their backpacks shouldn't be too terrible to Steve and Allie. The teams always have a minimum of twelve hours between getting to the mat and leaving for the next leg. There should be more than enough time to either go back and get them or to use some of the money they get each leg to buy some stuff.

March 29 2010 at 5:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Zwicker's comment
marali

The scenery in tonight's show was some of the most spectacular I've ever seen. Who knew there were such pristine places left on this planet?

I really want to root for Steve and Allie but feel that the show did them a great disservice by not including more footage of them earlier in the race. They seem like an awesome team/awesome individuals but it's almost as if they joined the race mid-season.

What I do know is that I, too, am over Brent and Caite and the Lesbians. How can anyone whine when they are in such amazing places and on the adventure of their lives?

So glad the cowboys are still in it. I hope they pull it back together next week and end up in a final 3 with the brothers, and Steve and Allie.

March 29 2010 at 5:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply