October 22, 2014

'Castle' - 'Boom!' Recap

by Kona Gallagher, posted Mar 30th 2010 1:45AM
castle boom
(S01E18)
As much as this episode veered into "bad buddy cop movie" territory several times, it was definitely a fun hour of television. In fact, after watching last week's episode, and now this, I could definitely see 'Castle' spawning a successful made-for-TV-movie franchise at some point. This storyline was a perfectly-contained movie, and it goes to further prove what the actual 'Heat Wave' novel showed us: these characters can thrive in stand-alone stories.

As Jane mentioned last week, Dana Delany is great as Agent Shaw, and I loved seeing her outside of her increasingly ridiculous role on 'Desperate Housewives,' although it was nice to see her and her 'DH' hubby, Nathan Fillion, reunited -- especially because I'm pretty sure it was more his role on that show, and less his cult status from 'Firefly' that got Fillion the 'Castle' gig in the first place.

I can't say it was a surprise that Beckett survived the explosion, but it would have been nice if the situation would have been taken a little bit more seriously. I love the barbs and Castle's general goofiness, but instead of Beckett and Castle acting out a scene from 'It Happened One Night,' it would have been nicer if we had seen something real.

It's great that Beckett is a tough cop and she keeps on going with the case after nearly getting blown to bits and losing everything she owns. But spending a moment or two on her just being completely rattled would have gone a long way. Having her be so calm, cool, and collected just struck me as false, and made me less invested in the storyline.

Also not completely surprising is the fact that the killer had been writing manuscripts detailing fictionalized versions of all of his crimes. What I did find surprising and immensely interesting about that is the fact that he had been doing it long before Nikki Heat came along. One of the very first episodes was about a killer obsessed with Castle's work, so it was nice to see this go in a slightly different direction. 'Heat Wave' was a trigger for this guy's madness, but it wasn't the cause. He'd been doing this for quite a long time.

While 'Castle' can be predictable at times, it is better than most procedurals at keeping me guessing when it comes to the crime of the week. They somehow manage to pack in the twists and turns without making it seem too gimmicky. With that said, I would have loved it if they had gone a little further with this: I'm glad they didn't kill Agent Shaw, because that actually would have been pretty predictable. What would have been great is if he had killed the entire FBI team.

When Beckett and Castle went into the other building to rescue Shaw without telling the FBI team what they suspected and what their plans were, it was highly reckless. Dunn believed that Kate was lying to him when she said that the team wasn't in the building any longer. Instead of playing around, he should have just said, "I don't believe you," and pressed the button. Now that would have been a boom.

We're not talking about Ryan and Esposito dying here -- they could have totally done that and maintained the same show, with one exception: Beckett's bad decision leading to that many law-enforcement deaths could have had a lasting effect on her character that carried on throughout the rest of the season, at least. Instead, we get another case, all tied up in a neat little bow. As fun as this was to watch, I can't get over the idea that it was a missed opportunity.

What do you think? Should they have gone further, or do you like the ending just the way it is?

Jan Crump

I agree - keep the family stuff - it's some of the best parts. LOVE this show, and enjoy relaxing and watching it. Whatever the chemical makeup is - it works!!!!

March 31 2010 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JLM

Thought the shot of Lou Ferrigno as 'The Incredible Hulk' was a nice touch. I had forgotten that Susan Sullivan appeared with Bill Bixby on the CBS series.

March 31 2010 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chancock6

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of Remington Steele when I watch Castle. And like that show, Castle is so much fun to watch! I'm glad it has a lighter feel. I'm tired of all the serious, brooding, tragic procedurals. When you have two sexy and charming leads with oodles of chemistry and great banter, what else do you need? As a Star Wars fan, I'd have to say my favorite line in this episode was when Castle said, "I feel like Princess Leia when the Millenium Falcon escaped the Death Star--it was too easy". I also liked it when Beckett said, "You have the right to remain silent, so shut the hell up." :)

March 30 2010 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

After the very first episode last season, my wife and I said the show reminded us of "Moonlighting" at its best. We watch it for the laughs as much as for the proceedural part. That is what makes "Castle" so unique on television these days and makes it a must-see each week. It's a crime show with a wink. And the supporting characters make a huge contribution to the enjoyment of the show.

March 30 2010 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for mentioning that Castle is more in line with Remmington Steele than CSI - it's a great analogy, one that will help me enjoy the more campy parts of the show and not worry so much about the details.

March 30 2010 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
greatone

I disagree that Beckett was reckless for not telling the FBI team her plans. If Beckett would have told the team to get out of the building, the serial killer would have blown up the building right away. The serial killer was watching the FBI team every move and once they would have tried to escape the building will have been blowned up.

Also, I agree with everyone else that Castle's family is one of the best part of the show. I don't consider the family a filler part of the show.

March 30 2010 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zippy_zip74467

That's why I like "Castle," It's fun like "Remington Steele."
Some shows get too gross, and gory, so much so that I have to turn the channel.

March 30 2010 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becki

From following Castle from the beginning, I have always gotten the feeling that ABC wants a show that is tied up nicely at the end of each episode, so its re-runs better.

It is definitely more Remington Steele than CSI, its not meant to be taken too seriously. Isn't that ok, sometimes.

Oh, and yeah, I think Castle and is family is on the best parts and the show would not be half as interesting without them. I wanted to see more them in the his episode and more of Castle and Becket Co-habitating.

March 30 2010 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SHANNON

YES! Much more Remington Steel than CSI. And that's why we love it. And I completely disagree with the idea that they could kill off Ryan and Espisito, or get rid of the family angle. That's one of the things that makes this show so enjoyable-- that the secondary characters are as well-written and entertaining as the main characters. Ryan, Espisito, and the Coroners get some of the best lines in the show!

March 30 2010 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
s thompson

Your commentary was way out of line for what this show is-- a show which is reminiscent more of REmington Steele or Moonlighting than the current dark hubris of serial killer of the week. Leave the brooding remorse to Criminal Minds and their ilk-- I prefer entertainment.
By the way, "family stuff" as one reader put it is one of the best things about this show. I could watch a whole episode set just in the family part of the show without the murder of the week. (Writers? Like to try it?)

March 30 2010 at 7:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply