September 16, 2014

ABC Renews 'Castle' for A New Season

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 31st 2010 10:03AM
nathan_fillion_castle_abcA week ago with 'Dancing With the Stars' returned for the current season, a new episode of 'Castle' aired afterwards and did something it had never done before. It beat 'CSI: Miami' in the ratings. Not a rerun of 'CSI: Miami.' No, it was a fresh, Horatio Cane dealing with his son episode. Now, normally, that's a slam dunk for CBS. However, 'Castle' took the hour.

This is all a way to explain the following: ABC has renewed 'Castle' for another season. ABC is not just jumping on a strong pairing of 'Dancing' and 'Castle,' because you can't count on that always being the best draw of a Monday night.

But what it does say is that ABC is investing in 'Castle's' future, cultivating it as a series that's building a following and will succeed for years to come, even if it moves to another time slot.

'Castle' has more going for it than just a strong lead-in. The set up is reminiscent of 'Bones,' which has been a slow and steady hit for Fox. 'Castle' could be like 'Bones,' especially since it's now going to have 22 more episodes next season.

For someone who's always liked Nathan Fillion, this 'Castle' pick up is a reason to smile. He's always done good work and he's finally getting rewarded for it. He could always go back to 'One Life to Live' as Joey Buchanan, but the pay in prime time is a bit more robust.

Finally, a last thought. 'Castle's' pick up shouldn't be too great a shock because it is an ABC Studios production. ABC on ABC. Makes sense, right?

Jody

I LOVE CASTLE! I LOVE NCIS! KEEP THEM COMING!!!

May 17 2010 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jody's comment
Barbara

I love NCIS, LA NCIS, Castle, Dancing with the stars this what I watch keep it going........

May 17 2010 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dayna

Happy to see Castle has been renewed for another season. I love this show!!

May 02 2010 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
molly

CASTLE is a great show. I even enjoy watching the reruns. The actors are very compatible from teenage Alexis to Grandmother Martha. The police crew work very well together. Can you imagine what the writers can do with all these characters espercially Castle and Beckett.

April 05 2010 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toni

I absolutely love CASTLE. It focuses on a stong woman heading a group of male detectives, as well as some sexual tension between Castle and Kate. I also love the one-liners that the actors have. I have never missed an episode and while watching it, I have to laugh because of those one-liners. Keep up the good work, and keep Castle going

April 05 2010 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Don

Castle just rocks! Solid entertainment. This is excellent news!

March 31 2010 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Smart move. Castle may never be a top-ten hit, but it will be a steady performer for ABC. And I suspect Castle (when they have enough episodes) will do very, very well in syndication, much like Bones.

March 31 2010 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

I've liked Castle from the beginning - very solid show. Glad to hear it's been renewed.

March 31 2010 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eugene

Great news, love the show, and Nathan and glad to see him on a show that lasts for more than half a season. :p

March 31 2010 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bkdealer

Well this news made my day! I'm a huge fan of Nathan Fillion, but I enjoy all the other characters on Castle, too, so I'm delighted.

March 31 2010 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Since they moved Law & Order to Monday night at the same time as CSI-Miami and Castle, well one has to go. So I dropped CSI-Miami from my Tivo. I watched it only for the horrific acting anyway. But L&O should go back to Wednesday at 10 and L&O-SVU back to Tuesday. The CSI's are kind of lame these days. Since Petterson left CSI-LV the writing sucks, never got into CSI-NY. But L&O's always are good. But Castle rule monday at 10.

March 31 2010 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply