September 19, 2014

'Dancing with the Stars' - 'Performance #1: Results' Recap

by Michael Pascua, posted Mar 31st 2010 1:25AM
Pamela Anderson channels Marilyn Monroe
(S10E03) We start the first 'Dancing with the Stars' instantly by placing a couple in the bottom two. Pamela & Damien are in the bottom two, while Buzz & Ashly are safe. Instead of our traditional recap, Len critiques the dances in a recap fashion. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

Encore - Nicole & Derek's Jive - The second time around I think I absorbed the performance better. It's still too fast for my taste, and I wasn't fond of the slight Michael Jackson side-by-side choreography. I have the feeling that getting 10s early in the season will be her kiss of death.

While the show is now an hour earlier, the format of the results show didn't change. It basically is a clip, someone's safe, musical performance, someone's safe, repeat.

Travis Payne & Stacy Walker - Ballroom Fusion - Any time we start off with Maks in an open shirt, you know the performance will have fire. Anna was a bit behind in the choreography, but the couple's performances were sharp. There was too much different choreography happening to absorb it all. Mark was the odd man out and not included in the performance, but we find out why at the end.

Between the Mirrorballs - Adam Corolla shows up to make fun of Buzz's astronaut shirts, Chad's facial reactions, several other contestants and Len. It wasn't really my cup of tea. After the clip we find out that Aiden & Edyta and Niecy & Louis are safe.

The Beach Boys & John Stamos - Beach Boys Medley - There's something really 'Full House' watching John Stamos playing the drums. The professionals emerge in a sunny yellow. Louis & Anna do an interesting leg spin, I'm sure we'll see variations in the competition (probably by Nicole or Erin). John then plays other instruments and I wonder for a second if I'm back in the 90s.

The Len Commandments - There's something hysterical seeing Len as Moses. Len teaches contestants not to waste time, respect the judges, don't borrow choreography, don't interrupt Len, don't lift, rhinestones are next to godliness, and praise the judges. Len issues a challenge for next week: each dance has to show a story through the dance, not the gimmicks. The eliminations continue, and Evan & Anna are safe. After the commercial break Jake & Chelsie and Nicole & Derek are safe.

Macy's Stars of Dance - Tribute to Haiti - Haitian ballroom dancers relive their memories of the earthquake; it's heartbreaking to hear their stories. The dancers use dance to express hope and life. I can't criticize the fact that some of the couples were a bit off because they had passion. All the solo work was pretty; all the movements were sharp.

Brooke's Schedule - Brooke basically makes Samantha Harris look useless by showing all the behind the scenes action. Brook admits that there's no prompter in the aquarium. Ironically, Brooke talks on top of Tom after the clip when using the prompter. Erin & Maks, Chad & Cheryl are safe.

After one final commercial, we're down to the final two contestants: Kate & Tony are safe and Shannen & Mark are in the bottom two. The couple with the lowest score is Shannen & Mark. Pam & Damien had to sit in the red zone for the whole episode for nothing.

I think order played a big role in the first elimination. Shannen was second to perform last week and first this week. In a two hour show where Kate was second to last in week one and last this week, people probably forgot to vote for her. We find out that Mark injured his knee pulling his muscle; why didn't the producers milk that to their advantage? Because they were more worried about keeping Kate and Pam on as long as possible. If Shannen did survive, she would have been paired up with Mark's father Corky.

Looking at last night's comments, I'm sure a lot of readers are disappointed that Kate survived this week. We know Kate thinks that she's good at fabricating stories to make her look good. Let's see if she can tell a story through dance next week. Are you gonna miss Shannen? Leave comments below.

[Catch 'DWTS' episodes on SlashControl.]

Betty

I agree with all of you Kate Gosslin is an absolute idiot. She needs to go home and take care of her kids instead of having John do it when she never lets him see them any other time. She can't dance and the eye rolling thing she does is so disgusting. Her and her attitude sucks.

April 05 2010 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Betty

I agree with all of you they need to send that nasty Kate Gosslin home tonight. Her eye rolls are just unacceptable. She is not and never will be a dancer and I don't think anyone likes her mostly because of her attitude. SEND HER HOME!!!!!!!

April 05 2010 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Helen

I'm so disappointed with the results of3/30. This is a dance competition & Buzz A can't dance. A hero he is, but not a dancer! Kate can't dance either. Besides she is spoiled, rude and nasty. Getting rid of Shannon D. was absolutely ridiculous!!

April 05 2010 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

I was flabberghasted to see Shannon go and Kate stay. Buzz and Kate simply cannot dance these dances. At least Buzz has an excuse, he's old. Kate has to be one of the worst ever on DWTS. If I have to watch her pouty, p***ed off looks and see her wipe away more non-existent tears for another week, I will be done with this season.

March 31 2010 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Just the Facts

Adam was great. Let's hope he goes after Kate next week.

March 31 2010 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

I swear, there must be some 'vote for the worst' shenanigans going on. Can you imagine, as poorly as she performs, getting pushed all the way to the finals?

I was disappointed Shannen D went home, I tuned in this season because of her.

March 31 2010 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bonnie

I am so disappointed with last night's results! I can understand hero worship for 80 year old astronaut Buzz Aldren, but this is a dance competition, and he can't dance!!!! Keeping Kate???? Come on, the woman's 15 minutes of fame was done long ago. She is rude, nasty, and manipulative. (She wound Tony Dovoloni right around her finger). and she also can't dance. Getting rid of Shannon D ahead of these two was just ridiculous!

March 31 2010 at 8:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Bonnie's comment
diane

you are absolutely right. This is a dance contest not a popularity contest. Kate Gosselin is nauseating.... her ego is out of control. And to boot being a spoiled brat she cannot dance.

March 31 2010 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jc

I don't know if I will be watching much longer. why keep Kate and/or Buzz and let Shannon go? I think people are now voting the worse dancers in on purpose. Kate not only can't dance she can't do anything but whine, cry, pout and complain. At least Buzz gave it a try but it this is how this show is going to play out....than I will not be a loyal viewer ever again.............

April 02 2010 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gerry

Easy. I won't watch the show again until Kate is gone. She sickens me with her attitude, she's not a star, she has no talent and she's arrogant and manipulative. I had never seen her reality show so I had no preconceptions.

March 31 2010 at 4:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to gerry's comment
diane

I agree with you 100%. that girl is such a spoiled brat who cannot dance. Her ego is nauseating.

March 31 2010 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Noad

Oh, don't mind. With Kelly or without, this show is much more interesting at the backstage. For example here: http://biglnk.com/Dancingwiththestar you can watch video from the DWTS backstage - it' full of hot explicit moments!

March 31 2010 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply