October 25, 2014

'Lost' Fans Lose It Over ABC's 'V' Countdown Clock

by Danny Gallagher, posted Mar 31st 2010 8:52PM
The 'V' countdown clock that appeared during 'Lost''Lost' viewers were screaming their pretty little head's off at ABC and for once, it's not to drown out the stinging migraines from trying to figure out just what the hell is going on.

The network ran a countdown clock for the premiere of 'V' during last night's episode and viewers took to the Twitter to voice their displeasure with it.

Here's some of my favorites...

'Lost' co-creator Damon Lindelof said on his Twitter page that he saw the clock quipping, ":34 minutes until I cry myself to sleep."

ESPN's Bill Simmons wrote on his Twitter page, "To the ABC exec who decided to put the 'V' countdown clock on the bottom of the 'Lost' screen... I hate you. Passionately."

Corrwill wrote, "In my opinion, 'V' needed to have a countdown clock that says 'New Lost' in 6 days 23 hours... Work on that for next week ABC :)"

TheGeoffMan wrote, "With that god-awful 'V' countdown clock, it almost felt like we were watching 'Lost' on NBC."

tana green

I thought the countdown to V was because ABC knew it had a loyal and substantial audience watching Lost and that they had a dud of a show with the stupid V remake. Trying to drag the folks they had into watching that dumb show.

April 01 2010 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

My rule is to keep a list of all products that make use of intrusive advertising, and to boycott said products. Anyone who stuffs a flyer on my doorknob or under my car windshield will never have me as a customer. I've added the show "V" to my list. Due to the horrendously large, bright-red V countdown ticker next to the already pointless and annoying ABC bug at the bottom corner of the screen, I swore I'd never watch another episode of "V" (i'd only seen 4 and was not all that invested in the show to begin with).

What pisses me off the most is that I can see the advertising execs sitting around their big wooden table discussing the "V timer bug" saying asinine shit like "countdown timers make people excited" and "bright red gets the attention of the eye" and "the timer will build anticipation and get people to stay tuned to watch 'V' after Lost" ... never mind the annoyance.

The problem is that advertisers know that there is no such thing as bad press. Any attention is good attention. Even if your products are proven to enable pedophile child rapists and are responsible for the rape-deaths of 100,000 children, any complains about it is just free advertising. Why? Because it works.

More people need to be like me. THINK for a second, ask yourself if you're annoyed by an advertisement, and if you are, don't use the product. Why should you reward people for bothering you? Keep a list of advertisements that bothered you due to their intrusiveness and don't use those products - ever. One person can't make a difference but many people can.

April 01 2010 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to bruce's comment
Leroy

Bravo, Bruce.

I think one of the first things that should be taught in school is how to recognize and dissect all the forms of propaganda that Americans are exposed to every day. Ads are certainly near the top of the list, but the same goes for every news broadcast, every talk show, every editorial, every sermon, and every word spoken by any politician. People need to see past the buzz words and BS and learn how to research the facts for themselves.

April 01 2010 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

We actually already do that - there are a number of things we don't use/buy because the advertising is objectionable or intrusive. It extends to print media as well. When we subscribed to the local paper, we had a house rule that we wouldn't patronize whoever felt the need to advertise in the Sunday comics section.

April 02 2010 at 9:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

I guess I've just programmed myself to not even notice the garbage everybody puts at the bottom of the screen these days. All the articles complaining about it were a surprise to me. Just let it go people.

My number one rule is to work toward ignoring all advertising whatsoever. The only exception is when I encounter an ad so offensive or stupid that I make a mental note to never buy that product.

April 01 2010 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve L

Thanks ABC. The V during the show was not that bad. But the V that burned into my screen because you used BRIGHT RED is a great touch. I was able to see the RED V when I switch away from ABC for about 10 extra minutes.

I guess this is a new form of advertising. (ghosting adverts)

April 01 2010 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

When I saw the red V, I thought of one thing. I was watching the local news and the reporter said check out this as he was pointing to the ground. No one watching the news could see it because they had some stupid thing scrolling at the bottom of the screen.

April 01 2010 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric Cotton

TV viewing - very much like reading - is about immersion: Forgetting about your own life for a little while and being drawn in to the drama. All these pop-ups and corner-promotions ruin the illusion for me - the red "V" especially so. I was on the fence about continuing with V and this stunt is just about the final nail in the coffin.

April 01 2010 at 8:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna

I noticed it and it was annoying. Not enough for me to write a comment about it. But enough for me to write a comment on an article complaining about it.

April 01 2010 at 3:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

the V didn't bother me

April 01 2010 at 2:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

People will whine about a coming attraction bug on the large screen yet they'll gladly pay for the same program to watch on a small postcard sized iphone/touch screen. Hmmm America in the 21st century gotta love it.

Gee I don't know but I'm glad they are actually promo'ing a show with Lost as the lead-in so in 6 months, if it ends up being canceled, we don't get "Why didn't ABC ever promo V for all us sci-fi/character driven show fans to watch?" whines.

April 01 2010 at 1:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Picviewer's comment
Paul

I always hate those "people do this, while people do that" comparisons. Why assume that the same people complaining about the red "V" are the same 21st century Americans who watch the episodes on their iPhone.

Just 'cause there are a lot of whiny people, it doesn't mean they're hypocritical/contradictory whiny people. :P

April 01 2010 at 6:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

The red "V" in the corner didn't really bother me or distract me as much as it did everyone else. Not as much as how boring these episodes of "LOST" have been this season, and I am a HUGE fan of the show. I think that there must be a lot of frustration with the show, and everyone is projecting it on to that little red "V." If "LOST" was having a better end run, then I doubt some many would have even noticed.

Lost in all of this is what people should have been offended by--how terrible "V' is becoming after just five episodes, after what was a fairly promising start. Seriously, that show is sinking into the muck. I'm thinking about the "Bionic Woman" reboot. Hope it doesn't reach "Knight Rider" territory. Sort of along the lines of what TheGeoffMan wrote, I kind of thought I was watching "V" on NBC too.

BTW, there is NOTHING more obnoxious than people whose primary critical contribution to these blogs is pointing out other people's spelling and grammatical errors. Get a life.

April 01 2010 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply