October 26, 2014

'V' - 'Welcome to the War' Recap

by Jason Hughes, posted Mar 31st 2010 4:20AM
Elizabeth Mitchell, 'V'
(S01E05)
Remember this show? If the ratings results for the return of 'FlashForward' are any indication of things to come, the answer appears to be "No." A difference between 'FlashForward' and 'V,' though, is that while 'FlashForward' delivered ten episodes, which many found to be disappointing, 'V' has only had four.

While ratings did decline over the course of the four episodes, the reaction to them wasn't as clearly negative. For the most part, the jury seemed to be out. The question now is whether or not the show has been out of circulation too long to recover with these remaining nine episodes of the first season.

It's been four months since a new episode of 'V,' but to the credit of the vision, it doesn't feel as if we've been gone that long at all. Tonight's mid-season premiere certainly brought plenty of exciting moments in the growing war between the Visitors and the human race, as well as a nod to a classic 'V' moment.

The sense of just how daunting and overwhelming the idea of a resistance is permeated the first four episodes, particularly when we saw that our tiny little group of renegades was looking at a massive fleet of Visitor ships on its way toward the Earth. And I thought the 29 ships already here were going to be a problem.

I'd still like to see a wider impact of the Visitors' presence on Earth like we got in the initial mini-series, but I can't complain about the foundations of the resistance we've seen so far. As the group expands, we'll probably get to see more of the global response to their arrival; or at least I can hope.

Morena Baccarin was as reptilian as ever throughout this episode. She has absolutely mastered the ability to look human, and yet act as if she's clearly something else entirely. Her facial movements, expressions, and even the way she walks and interacts with others is so alien; it's an impressively creepy performance.

I expected more from the R6 compound than a simple "tracking device" as it were, though the fact that Jack has been injected with it definitely spells trouble for the resistance. It's also possible that Ryan's Visitor doctor friend has outdated Visitor technology, so maybe she can't even detect everything the compound is capable of doing. If it can transmit, perhaps it can receive, as well. And as it's bonded to DNA, that means it could receive data that could change the very DNA of a person, perhaps. After all, V technology is leaps and bounds above our own.

The addition of Charles Mesure to the cast, and to the resistance, gives them some much needed leadership as far as building an army goes. He's clearly got the tech smarts, and savvy to go against authority. It's just that he's some kind of mercenary, cold-blooded criminal that could be a problem down the road.

When Ryan's pregnant wife almost ate the dead mouse, I felt for sure we were going to get a humanized version of the classic Diana and the guinea pig scene from the original. Instead, we got Anna showing us how the Visitors "build" an army, and how mothers get nourishment for their eggs. Those teeth were definitely a step up from Diana's unhinged jaw in the creepy factor.

I'm very worried for Ryan's wife at this point. Either Anna's going to find out about the pregnancy, or it's going to kill her. As much of a mess as she is already, Ryan either needs to tell her what's up, or just abort the baby. There's no way he can play off all that crap like it's normal. Not to mention that she'll probably be giving birth in a matter of weeks, instead of months.

The character of Chad Decker remains an enigma to me. I can't tell which side of this conflict he's going to ultimately fall on, because he definitely seems cautious and uncertain about the true motives of the Visitors. And yet, at every opportunity, he sides with Anna and her wishes. I was hoping he'd reject their offer to cure him of the brain aneurysm that he doesn't have (but they say he'll develop), just to see how Anna would react.

He's so important to her marketing campaign for the Visitors that if and when he finally defies her, it should be a major blow to her campaign.

Writing that made me realize that there will come a time when this guerrilla war will be more out in the open. In fact, if that fleet arrives, it will be all out war. For now, the Earth is pretty much the same, except for those ships floating above the cities, and the Visitors mucking about on the ground, but if this becomes an open war, the entire world looks to be devastated. That would certainly be a bold undertaking for an ongoing television series.

I don't know if viewers are going to come back and give 'V' a chance, but I think the show is definitely worthy of being given that opportunity. If it struggles, then maybe they'd have been better off holding the premiere of the whole series until after the Olympics. They certainly saved some of the more iconic 'V' stuff until now.

[To catch the whole experience, find clips and full episodes of 'V' at SlashControl.]

marcus

I really enjoyed this latest episode - Anna grows steadily creepier, the whole feeling of hopelessness is escalating & I think the whole camera-paranoia thing is an extremely good parable with what's actually going on nowadays - they said Big Brother couldn't happen, but it is... only on V it's alien reptiles & not corrupt humans that are watching...

After 25 years of waiting for a show that was already bding destroyed by it's second mini-series, I think we should all give this new show a chance.

April 05 2010 at 11:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grae

goodness gracious...it was bad. i mean like, unwatchable laughable unbelievably bad! as a fan of the original, this is just pitiful. while everything from the set to the actors look slick and new and younger, the acting and writing and storytelling is just plain awful and sped up to where sometimes it doesn't even make sense! i believe this series is short-lived and will get canceled soon...or at least i hope so! people need to watch the original series with faye grant and marc singer! both of whom are much better leads with much better chemistry than the current ABC series, blah!

April 03 2010 at 3:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

For me it was worth the four month wait. While there may have been some unbelievability bumps in there, one must remember to give science fiction a little license now and then, especially in regard to forwarding a captivating story. It's certainly not for everyone, but I thought it a solid episode, leading to many possibilities.

When Erica hit that V alien with the frying pan, that couldn't have felt good....OUCH!

March 31 2010 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Z!

I'm over V. This comeback paled in comparison to FlashForward. Im not interested in any of the characters nor do I care what the the aliens are going to do next. Sorry Its not working for me. I hope Flashforward doesnt get canceled and this one stays

March 31 2010 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gnume

Let me try posting this again ... TV Squad hasn't been letting me post comments lately, I never get a confirmation email.

I am enjoying the series thus far and will likely keep watching it. I thought it was a bit odd for Anna to have to eat her "mate" to give her eggs nourishment. Seems like to me that a sentient race as advanced as the Visitors would have somehow learned a way to provide such nourishment without having to actually consume the "father". I mean, if she chose him because he would produce the best offspring, then keeping him around for more offspring later seems like the way to go. That part just seemed really hokey to me and a contrived way to show her reptilian side.

As far as them not skinning the dead V for publicity ... they have a Live V working with them that could probably provide a lot more believable publicity than a dead one that people could say was faked.

March 31 2010 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
phobic99

Agreed. I tried to finish the episode but seeing how the majority of everything else was so cliched and predictable I threw in the towel about 40 mins in.

March 31 2010 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to phobic99's comment
phobic99

The above comment was meant for L'Emmerdeur in regards to the weak writing this show seems to have.

March 31 2010 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dee

I think the R6 might make humans susceptible to Anna's "Bliss".

March 31 2010 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daniel M

Putting any show after lost that's anywhere in the same genre is asking for trouble. They are a great pairing, no doubt about that but I know once Lost is over I'm at the computer checking darkufo, lostforum.com for tibits of interesting discussion.

This morning after watching it, I thought it was a great episode, the writing was weir, the talk about dinner and an army and the inconsistency of Olivia for her son's safety was weird

March 31 2010 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patti

I guess I'm one of the few that liked it. It was fun and frightening and entertaining. Cannot wait for more!

March 31 2010 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
loudalmaso

Snowy,
I'll give the sudden mercenary a pass because they did the same thing in the original series (the awesomely named "Ham" Tyler - Michael Ironside) and Anna's overbite, because fangs are so "in fashion" now and they do look reptilian...

March 31 2010 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply