'American Idol' - '1 of 10 Voted Off' Recap

by Kona Gallagher, posted Apr 1st 2010 1:36AM
american idol top 10
My favorite part about the very beginning of an 'American Idol' results show is guessing who's going to go home. According to our poll from last night's episode, most of you think that it's Didi Benami's turn to leave the stage. While I can definitely understand that rationale -- she has been murdered by the judges for the past few weeks, after all -- I disagree. Even though he did a good job last night, I kind of feel that Lee DeWyze should go home, if for no other reason than the fact that I completely forget he's on the show every week.

Before we get to the actual results, though, there's a lot of other stuff that we have to get through: namely a rally weird 'Clash of the Titans' product placement that opens the show, as well as a performance from 'Idol's' forgotten winner, Ruben Studdard. We learn a few interesting things during this performance: Ruben has lost a pretty substantial amount of weight, and he's going on tour this summer with his 'Idol' runner-up, Clay Aiken. So what do you guys think? Is this tour going to be a fun show, or just two guys trying to recapture the limelight?

Next up is the always-embarrassing Ford ad. Usually, they go for a contemporary song, but this time they went with 'Kung Fu Fighting.' It's not so bad when they go with a classic, campy song. After that, it's literally just Ryan filling time. He's chatting with Big Mike about his My Little Pony hair extension, Crystal about her piano, and even chatted with Andrew's mom a little bit. Luckily, it doesn't last all that long, and we get to the results.

Lee DeWyze: SAFE
Casey James: SAFE
Aaron Kelly: SAFE
Siobhan Magnus: SAFE
Katie Stevens: BOTTOM THREE

After we find out that Katie is in the bottom three, there's a little bit of a tense moment, as there seems to be every week, between Ryan and Simon. Ryan leans over the judges table, which Simon finds greatly annoying, and tells him that he shouldn't gloat when someone is in the bottom three. Simon says that he's not gloating, but he's making a point: he really thinks Katie needs to go down the country route, while the other judges think that the pop/R&B route is where she actually belongs.

After the break, we get a performance by this week's mentor, Usher. If you just watch it with the sound down, it totally looks like the old Usher. He still has the moves, but the song is a hot mess. It's auto-tuned within an inch of its life, and despite an appearance by Will.I.Am, it's absolutely boring. It' almost feels as though he spent all of his time choreographing the song, and forgot to make a decent track to go along with it.

Once Usher's performance is done, we get right back into finding out who else is in the bottom three.

Didi Benami: BOTTOM THREE
Michael Lynche: SAFE
Crystal Bowersox: SAFE
Andrew Garcia: SAFE
Tim Urban: BOTTOM THREE

Seacrest, who is still probably a little bit shaken up after Big Mike picked him up and tossed him around the stage, gets right to it after announcing the bottom three: he immediately sends Katie back to her seat, meaning that it's either going to be Didi or Tim who's going home tonight.

Before we get to the real moment of truth, however, we get another performance. This one is Diddy-Dirty Money performing 'Hello Good Morning.' I don't know where I've been lately, but I did not know anything about Diddy-Dirty money, Diddy's new group featuring Danity Kane singer Dawn Richard. I've never liked Diddy as a musician -- I much prefer him as a bizarre and entertaining public figure -- but I have to say, I like this song way more than Usher's new song. Plus, he's wearing all-white like it's one of his fancy parties. Ah, Diddy. Thank you for bouncing around and hugging Simon. You actually provided some good entertainment tonight.

Finally we get to the actual results. It's 9:57, so Ryan doesn't waste any time in telling everyone that it's Didi Benami who's going home, unless the judges choose to save her, which, let's be honest: they're not. She sings 'Rhiannon,' and while it's a good performance, I can't see it making much of a difference. My dad, who is watching this with me, is super-bitter, though, because he can't stand Tim and thinks he should go, but the teeny-boppers keep on voting for him and his smile. The judges opt not to save her, so it's just her video, some tears, hugs, and it's over.

What do you think? Did America and the judges make the right decision, or should Didi have lived to see another week?

Michael

I honestly have no idea why everyone's jumping on Tim Urban. He's nothing like Sanjaya (who did have a nice voice, just never got the confidence), and he's actually better than several of the people still there.

This season just sucks--everyone included. The funniest part is that they went on and on about how "the girls have the talent this year" and 3 of them have gone already. If they didn't separate the girls and guys in the beginning, about only 2 girls would've got through anyway.

I'll be glad when Simon leaves so I'll never have to hear Kara Dioguardi's annoying voice and arrogant attitude again.

April 01 2010 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mitch

This is the worst AI since the beginning. It does not really matter who gets voted off each week because other than Crystal, Mike and Lee the rest of the kids will go dissapear once they are eliminated. The worst talent ever.

April 01 2010 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mitch's comment
Phil Leitch

Agreed, worst we've yet watched. In fact we cant even watch most of the performance nights. In the past we'd at least be able to stomach watching the performances while zipping through the banter.

But this year we FF through almost the entire show.

April 01 2010 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

I think it's fair to call last night this season's first "shock" - I can't believe Didi was eliminated, paving the way for a lot of movement in rankings of contestants this week. The biggest gainer? Lee Dewyze, who's upward surge on the chart is the biggest of any contestant this season. The biggest loser? It's a surprise - and one you won't see coming. All the rankings here: http://thesmogger.com/2010/04/01/idol-hangover-its-time-for-the-final-9/

April 01 2010 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Tim is TOTALLY this season's Sanjaya. He's there because he's cute, and for no other reason. Actually, Sanjaya had a much better voice than Tim, so I think it's a bit of an insult to Sanjaya to compare the two. But, you're right - this season's Sanjaya is Tim. It's just a matter of time before people start voting for talent over looks, and he'll be packing his bags.

April 01 2010 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Do you think American Idol is Ryan's only job? LOL Ryan is an entertainment Mogul. He hosts the highest rated radio show in SoCal every morning, he hosts E! Entertainment News, he hosts American Idol, he owns restaurants, he produces "Keeping up with the Kardashians" and other television shows, he hosts all of the red carpet events for E!, and the New Year's Rockin' Eve special on TV. He's so far from "depending on Simon for his success" that it's not even funny.

April 01 2010 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
Jim

And he owes it ALL to Simon.

Before American Idol, Ryan was just another Brian Dunkleman.

April 01 2010 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hessian

Would it be possible to get a review from someone who LIKES this show?

I get that it's a spot carrier that will sell commercial time to anyone - but no one has ever said IDOL was high class. It's big goofy fun.

This entire review is tinged in the same attitude as someone who was forced to write a book review of A TALE OF TWO CITIES in high school.

No body at TV SQUAD would rather take on this assignment? Not even Bob?

April 01 2010 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

I have to agree with Kona about Lee. Every week as we are working our way though the performances, he is the one I just can't remember as even being a contestant until his performance comes up. Utter forgetability is not a good quality for a pop star.

I thought Didi was the right choice to go this week, and it brings up another pet peeve of mine this year. Why do people who cannot stay on pitch when singing quietly (admittedly a very hard thing to do) make the mistake of trying it week after week? Didi did fine when singing at a moderate or loud volume, but every time she trie to sing softly, the pitch was all over the place. And she's not the only one. Take some advice, contestants: if there are areas of singing you haven't mastered yet, don't try them out during a competition. You will go home if you do.

April 01 2010 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MikLamb

I haven't watched a "results" show live (except for the final results show last year, I'm sorry to say) in 2 years. Zipping through all of the filler and listening only to the actual result is so much more efficient and it removes all of the annoying interactions that they put in to stretch out the show.

April 01 2010 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

I think Tim is 1000 times better than Sanjaya and for that matter most people from that season. Why does it matter which person goes first? Tim is not going to win the whole thing as Andrew Garcia isn't or Katie Stevens or Aaron Kelly. These other people go first and then Tim goes home, what does it matter. If you don't like it because someone is getting a lot of votes from a segment of society than change the way they are voted for.

April 01 2010 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

Tim is this season's Sanjaya or Kristy Lee Cook, it's said that people would rather see him than Didi Benami in my opinion. Although she's had her ups and downs, at least her voice is interesting and I could see her putting out an unique album. This season has become almost a joke, if I had guessed who the Top 9 would be back when the Top 24 were announced, there's no way about half of these contestants would have been on my list. It's disappointed.

And P.S. I think you're completely wrong about Lee DeWyze, he's one of the few I wasn't excited about earlier, but with each week he's growing and stepping up and has become one of my favs, last night being a HUGE example of that.

April 01 2010 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply