December 22, 2014

It's Time For the New 'Doctor Who'

by Brad Trechak, posted Apr 2nd 2010 9:02AM
Doctor WhoIf you're a 'Doctor Who' fan and you're not excited, then there is something wrong with you.

Saturday brings the new season of the show on the BBC in England (either the fifth season or the 31st season depending on who you ask) with a new Doctor in the form of Matt Smith, a new companion in the form of Karen Gillan and a new showrunner in the form of Steven Moffat. For those that reside in the United States, there is a two week delay before the season premiere on BBC America on April 17th.

If you have never watched the show before, then the introduction of a new Doctor is an excellent place to start. Usually you find that the Doctor you start with becomes "your" Doctor. It's a wonderful cult that is far more interesting than Scientology, so please join.

The show started in 1963 as a children's program. When the first actor to play the lead role, William Hartnell, became too sick to continue, the producers decided to try a neat trick in which the character died and regenerated into a completely different person (since the Doctor was an alien who traveled in time and space, it wasn't that big a stretch). The concept was a big hit and contributed to the show's longevity. Since then, ten other actors have played the lead role.

If you've never heard of the concept of torrents and live in the New York City area, then you can see a special advanced screening of the season premiere on April 14th. This will include a Q&A with Steven Moffat, Matt Smith and Karen Gillan after the screening. Details are on the BBC America Facebook page.

So who else is excited about the new season? Sound off in the comments.

j0phus

Moffat is the genius who wrote "Blink" with the weeping angel statues and "The Girl in the Fireplace." Then I saw the interview with the new Doctor on Jonathon Ross and he came off as kind of strange in real life and he seemed like a character actor who is intense with his work. I really can't wait for tomorrow.

The show was put into better hands I think, and I'm excited to see how the show could possibly be improved. It was already perfect once - when tennant was on with Piper. This could be television history tomorrow.

April 02 2010 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MacLean

It's on in Britain too.

April 02 2010 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

I loved David Tennant, but Christopher Eccleston's Doctor will always be mine. I suppose since he was the one I started with, it fits your profile. Never thought about it that way.

April 02 2010 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TR

Can't wait for the new season to start.

David Tennant was my first Doctor, so I have a few mixed feelings about the new guy...lol

I'm sure Matt Smith will win me over in no time though. The series is so much fun I don't think it can loose.

April 02 2010 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mazza.murphy

Daily Beast has an intvw with Matt Smith and Steven Moffat about the new season:

Good read.

April 02 2010 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I'm thrilled to bits! I've been checking out some stuff, but trying not to get too spoiled, which is getting difficult. I'm planning on waiting until US broadcast to watch it, so I'll have to tread lightly the next couple weeks.

Don't forget the episode of Jonathan Ross with Matt Smith is going to be on BBCA tonight at 10p EDT, with two additional repeats over the course of the night. (squee!)

April 02 2010 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xdreamwalker

David Tennant will always be "my" Doctor, but the new cast seems like they will do good things for the show. The special which introduced the new Doctor was done well and I just can't wait to get back into the new series.

April 02 2010 at 9:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply