April 24, 2014

'Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains' - 'I'm Not a Good Villain'

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Apr 2nd 2010 12:23AM
Will Colby Donaldson survive this season's 'Survivor'?
(S20E07) Colby Donaldson survived last week's tribal council on 'Survivor' only because James hurt his knee beyond hope for healing within the game's timeframe. Surrounded by those who want him out due to his lackadaisical efforts in challenges this season and being on the minor alliance, it's time for Colby to get playing the game. Heck, it's time for the entire heroes tribe to start playing.

JT isn't Mr. "I Broke My Tooth, Yet Kept Fighting" this season. Rupert has some sort of enhanced caveman rush into things, but has a broken toe and isn't really athletic. No one seems to be good with puzzles. What is going on here? The villains have been trouncing them at every turn. It's not just Colby who needs to step his game up. But he's the one on the hot seat due to the alliances. Can he do it?

We're down to five heroes and eight villains. Only due to the double tribal council last week did the villains lose someone -- Tyson in the supremely evil, yet totally effective, Russell-engineered blindside. Just like last season, I'm kind of despising this snake oil salesman in 'Survivor' buffs. But, dang. The guy is so good at scheming and puppet-mastering. He proved it once again tonight. Plus, he really attracts the coolest descriptions of anyone ever on the show. Rob called him a "hobbit on crack" while Courtney dubbed him a "bandy-legged troll." Perfect!

Rob definitely has Russell's number. I was thinking the first few episodes that if only they worked together, the two could rule the game well into the merge. However, with the divide growing, I don't think it ever could have worked out. Rob realizes that Russell will stop at nothing to win the game. Once again, Russell is playing the most excellent scheming game, yet perhaps not the best social game. Even those who trust him don't really trust him.

So, all will remain not so hunky-dory within the villains tribe if they keep winning. But, the divide will split wide open if they lose. How were they to know that Colby and the misfit heroes castaways would become family? Oh my. The heroes actually won reward, had their "we are a family" epiphany, and even got a clue for the hidden idol. Now, if I were there, I'd secretly look for the idol for my own protection. Their "one for all, all for one" philosophy won't save anyone's butt in the next tribal council.

After the water basketball reward challenge, the immunity challenge had them scrambling an obstacle course and solving a dreaded puzzle. Amazingly enough, the heroes won once again. In watching both challenges, it's evident that Colby does still have it in him. He was the star. I'm sure they'll quickly forget that if they go to tribal as a tribe again, don't you?

Chasm time over at the villains! Russell and Rob both tried to work their mojo on the two floaters -- Jerri and Coach. Jerri let herself get sucked into the Russell zombie trance. Coach, although he certainly has lied in the game before, was on his honesty and loyalty kick. So he did what any brave man would do. He agreed with both plans but tried to push his own agenda of voting out Courtney, the weakest player. Normally, with so many on the tribe, I'd say the weakest should go. But with the heroes decimated and such a riff, either Rob or Russell need to go. They can't play nice together, so the island must be turned around and one must be taken home.

In a way, Rob and Russell are both playing the same sort of strategy in the game. Rob comes off as nicer while Russell as evil. But if you think to the end game, more people like Rob. He'd stand a better chance to win the million, especially if he plays a good strategic game, keeps being the star in challenges and plays provider. Although the others aren't aware that Russell lost last season due to his lack of a social game while masterminding an excellent working strategy, it might just happen again. He's such a sneaky snake that he's not likely to win a popular vote no matter how well he plays.

At the tribal council, Rob kept his little alliance votes while Russell kept his. Jerri went to the dark side and voted for Rob. Coach, brave dragon slayer warrior that he is, cast a sole vote for Courtney. That was the coward's way out indeed. He may as well cast his vote for Rob. Had he voted for Russell, it would have forced a tie-breaker. It's another notch in Evil Russell's belt. "If you're gunning for me, you've got to go," said Russell. Once again, in a new season with experienced players, he does it again. Russell is good, but perhaps not in a good way.

If you were on the heroes tribe, would you secretly look for the idol?
Of course! The game is about ME winning!354 (79.2%)
No, we agreed to either all look together for it.82 (18.3%)
I don't know. What idol?11 (2.5%)

John From Raleigh

I liked Rob back in the day, and I am digging Russell. The best Survivor seasons for me are the ones with more "Outwit" parts of the game. I was going to stop watching Survivor until they came up with items like Exile Island, extra immunity idols, etc to keep the game unpredictable.

If Russell is playing this game without knowing the outcome of the last game it speaks volumes to why Russell is not playing a better social game this season.

Goooooo Russell.....

April 09 2010 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky

I am among those who hated Rob on previous shows but loved him on this one. I am also among those who have always disliked Russell.

I think that Coach and Jeri will regret backing Russell and realize that they voted to oust the wrong one. And from the previews, it will be in the next episode.

Russell has contributed nothing to the tribe. If it had not been for Rob the Villians would never have won.

April 02 2010 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

I hope somewhere along the line that the troll gets backdoored and that Parvati is the one who orchestrates it. Sweet justice! Gonna miss Rob.

April 02 2010 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dapete

From a purely challenge point of view, Jerri made the right choice. If the 4 stayed tight and it got down to them, she would very likely have been the first out.

April 02 2010 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Someone above spoke about an inherent advantage that Russell has because nobody saw him play... I have a counter argument for you...

Russell certainly has an advantage in not having been previously seen... however, he also carries a huge disadvantage, in that Russell is the only one there never to COMPLETE a season of Survivor before going into his next.

Russell did his season of Samoa and then went almost instantly into Heroes vs. Villains. What we're seeing week to week all happened before Russell lost the million to Natalie for last season. He thinks he won his season. He doesn't realize he cost himself the game through his social play.

He never finished the first game before starting the second... and it was the finish play of the jury that was the most important factor in the whole thing for him.... And he doesn't know it. How could he?

April 02 2010 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cyn

I was so pissed that Rob was sent home! Courney has done nothing and should have been sent packing. In this game, Russell comes across as the evil, little sociopath that he is. He runs around spying and plotting- Seriously, if he makes it to final 3, no one should give him the money. I hope their team now self-destructs and implodes.

April 02 2010 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I was rooting for both B. Rob and Evil Russell. I think they are both power players that make bold moves.

Am I happy B. Rob got best'd by 'The Hobbit on Crack'? Yes and No.

I think Russ and his antics are TV GOLD, because the things he does should never work, yet somehow he pulls them off. And I know he'll never be able to play this game again, (he'd undoubtable be voted out first)which makes me want to see him last this time...

And I'd much rather watch Russell's "in your face" and "no apologies" style of play compared to Coach pansy "honorable" style any day of the week. I can not wait for the merge...

April 02 2010 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ron

I don't expect the Villians to win another challange w/out Rob.Russel is a worm & Coach couldn't think his way out of a closet.
I think that JT & Sandra are the front runners now & Courtney will be the next to leave!

April 02 2010 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sassy

favorite moment last night? Coach reaching out to hug Rob at the end and Rob rebuffing him with the comment "you are a little man" ... Oh yeah, Coach will have to cry about that one. His man-crush saw right through him and called him on it!

It was good to see the Heroes pull together and play the game as a team. We thought they were doomed with a puzzle at the end but they did it!

April 02 2010 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bonnie

I cannot beleive that the Villians took out boston Rob and kept that weasel Russell! Coach is a complete idiot spewing his honor stuff left and right and then in the end opting to write Courtney's name down. Then Jeri, where is the nasty witch from Austrailia? This Jeri is a wimp, whining she is not a good villian, nope Jeri you're not. At least the heroes finally opened that can of whoop butt and started showing their stuff! Go heroes!

April 02 2010 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply