October 25, 2014

'The Mentalist' - 'The Red Box' Recap

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Apr 2nd 2010 12:42AM

The Mentalist
(S02E17) "You, you're golden." - Hightower to Jane

After weeks without a boss in the picture, the team meets up with the new boss: Special Agent Madeleine Hightower. Even if she was only introduced in the second part of the episode, her upcoming arrival made Lisbon uneasy right from the opening scene. As we discovered in the episode, Lisbon had very good reason not to look forward to the arrival of her new boss.

Hightower clearly has the needed experience to be in such a position, as she wasted no time to get things done and shape things her way. Jane may be golden in Hightower's book, but the other team members -- except Cho at this point in time -- should all be walking on eggshells and fear to lose their job at CBI.

Clearly, Hightower has been briefed before her first day on the job. The Powers That Be love Jane and want him to keep working at CBI. However, they know he doesn't do things by the book and want him to be kept in line. It wouldn't surprise me if we eventually get an episode where we see the aftermath of Jane's investigation methods. This episode could feature the trial of one of the murderers Jane helped put behind bars and, during the trial, the murderer's lawyer makes a case that CBI, more precisely Jane, used unethical methods to make their case. For sure, this would look bad for CBI and the people who are higher up the food chain, which is why they want Jane to be kept in line.

Sadly, keeping Jane in line is Lisbon's job. Not an easy feat. Lisbon can't be here, there and everywhere, so you can bet that Hightower will suspend her for letting Jane do something he shouldn't have. The season finale could very well end with Hightower deciding to fire or transfer Lisbon!

Hightower not only told Lisbon that her job was on the line, but she also told Lisbon that it was time to take care of the Van Pelt-Rigsby relationship! Either Hightower is "good" at reading people, as Jane said at the end of the episode, or she has a mole feeding her information. I wouldn't be surprised if Van Pelt or Rigsby are transferred. Let's hope that if one of them is, that it's to another CBI team in the same building so that we can keep seeing these two together.

As soon as Rigsby and Bandino reminisced at the beginning of the episode, I knew Bandino would end up being the culprit. It's not the first time on TV that we've seen an old partner show up at a scene and end up being the killer. He was my first choice from the start. However, I did think that Banks' wife may have had something to do in the ordeal, as well.

The interesting part of this case of the week was how Slocombe's search for Oliver's killer was similar to Jane's Red John quest. Will Jane learn from Slocombe's experience? The latter said that knowing his son's killer didn't help. Will Jane be satisfied when he knows who Red John is and help put him (or her) behind bars?

What did you think of this week's episode? Do you like Hightower? What do you think she will do with Rigsby and Van Pelt? Share your comments below.

Patrick

The writers have done a really good job of dropping hints throughout the year about what is about to unfold. If you watched the episodes leading up to Bosco's death you would have seen it coming. I think the writers are looking for a way to write Lisbon out of the show. As you can see by the cast poll on http://www.squidoo.com/The-Mentalist the majority of viewers are watching this show for one person only, Simon Baker.

April 06 2010 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

B: Sure but he could at least try to see if she'll call his bluff. Anyway, I don't think he'd screw Lisbon to keep his CBI gig. Whether he would or not would be a great issue for the show to address. That's why I was surprised by his reaction.

April 02 2010 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to bruce's comment
Wanda

I think Jane simply chose not to show all his cards. He's still assessing the new boss, seeing how best to play her. Why use up all your ammunition on the first round?

April 02 2010 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carlos

I just hope she won't be another one of Red John's tools, 'cause that would be pretty unsurprising and I expect more of this season's finale. Guess we'll find out soon enough though.

April 05 2010 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Okay, Jane is not stupid and there's such an obvious solution to his and Lisbon's dilemma with the new boss.

New Boss: Jane, you're great and indispensible to the CBI. We love having you here and we see a long and prosperous relationship with you.

Jane: Thanks.

New Boss: But if you do anything that causes anyone (translated: a rich jackass with connections) to complain about you, I'm going to fire Lisbon, with whom you are very close friends.

Jane: No you're not. You fire Lisbon over me, and I quit. In fact, unless you retract that I quit right now.

Why didn't Jane say this? I find it hard to believe that Lisbon didn't also tell Jane what the new boss told her (wanting to build the CBI around Jane and if Jane pisses anyone off, she gets punished). "You're invaluable to us but if you piss anyone off I'm going to fire your friend" is such an odd thing to say because there's such an obvious response to it.

April 02 2010 at 7:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
B

I think Hightower knew exactly what she was doing. Jane works with the CBI because it gives him access to their information on the Red John case. He's unlikely to quit for that reason.

April 02 2010 at 7:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wanda

I enjoyed this episode. In addition to its mixture of humour and seriousness which I always like, it introduced the potential for a lot of new dynamics with the new boss. I'm looking forward to finding out more about her and watching the team grow with her. My favorite part of the show was actually the scene with Jane on the couch in Lisbon's office. It was such a cozy and normal (and hence unusual) interaction between them.

April 02 2010 at 5:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply