October 21, 2014

'The Vampire Diaries' - 'There Goes the Neighborhood' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 2nd 2010 5:52AM
The Vampire Diaries, There Goes the Neighborhood(S01E16) "I have 400 years on you, little boy. I'll rip you from limb to limb, and you know it." - Pearl to Damon

Just another average day on 'The Vampire Diaries' -- Matt and Caroline on a double date with Elena and Stefan. Or as Stefan put it, "a nice evening out with friends ... as in ... fun."

Let's face it. There's not going to be any fun for anyone on this show, especially with those 25 restless vampires in the farmhouse -- or as I like to call it, the vamp compound -- outside of town.

There's a vampire war brewing, and nothing anyone says or does is going to stop it. And thank goodness for that, because it promises to be really entertaining for us.

Also entertaining is the fact that Matt's slutty mom, Kelly, is back in town. As I watched their first scenes together, all I could think was, this loser tramp is his mom? This is definitely a case where the kid is actually the parent. And sure enough, Matt said as much later in the episode: "I'm the kid, mom. You're supposed to be responsible for me."

For some reason, I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. Just the sight of Kelly humping Damon in the hallway at the Salvatore house will cost Matt thousands of dollars in therapy bills. In fact, the most stable relationship at the moment seems to be Stefan and Elena. But there's plenty of issues brewing there, too, what with Elena's birth mother somehow related to Katherine, who got mixed up with Damon. Still, I'll grab onto the sweetness of Stefan and Elena's relationship while it lasts.

And I never thought I'd say this, but I'm also really liking Matt and Caroline together, even though she can be a spoiled brat. Like Stefan, Caroline has to realize that Matt and Elena have a history, and Elena can still mean something to him -- as a friend. That was such a sweet and awkward little speech Matt gave to Caroline in the car, right before they started making out. And she's totally right -- it's really difficult to make out in most sports cars.

I was kind of bummed to see Frederick get staked by Pearl, especially after he called Elena "Katherine" at the bar, then tried to glamor Jenna on the street. ("Vervain," he said. "It's making it hard to find someone to eat in this town.") He was shaping up to be a really creepy, interesting character that could have caused all kinds of havoc. But at least we've still got the mad relationship between Pearl and Damon. She wants to know what he knows about the counsel. And enough with the vervain already.

And Pearl's grudge has had plenty of years to fester under the church. "Mystic Falls is our home, Damon," she said. "They took that from us. Our land, our home ... it's time we rebuild." It was funny to hear Damon tell her to give it up, man, when he's been holding a torch for Katherine for 145 years.

Another interesting relationship is Jeremy and Anna. In my head, I kept telling him to "Run, Jeremy! She's trouble!" In fact, maybe it's the other way around. I knew when he cut his hand to make her reveal herself ... things were going to get real interesting real fast. But I did not see that shocker coming at the end, when he asked her to turn him. Then again, he's been through a lot.

A few quotes:

Stefan: "He waited 145 years, only to find out that Katherine couldn't care less. That's gotta hurt."
Elena: "And it couldn't happen to a nicer guy."
Stefan: "You have every reason to be upset with him. Have you thought any more about ..."
Elena: "About what? Isobel? My vampire birth mother who's related to my vampire ancestor Katherine who screwed over your vampire brother Damon? Nah, haven't thought about it at all."

"In 1972, with Hef and the twins. I got Miss June." - Stefan to Elena, about a double date he once had.

Stefan: "I remember them ... from 1864 ... they were in the tomb."
Damon: "Yeah, about that ..."

"Maybe they're normal and good ... just outsiders ... misunderstood." Jeremy to Anna, on the possibility of vampires

"I feel like I've been here before. It's weird..." - Caroline, upon entering the Salvatore house

Elena (brushing her teeth): "How was your night?"
Jeremy (brushing his teeth): "Same old, same old. You?"
Elena: "Yep."

I look forward to your thoughts on this episode.

Franco Pang

My favourite scene in the episode was the double date.

February 04 2011 at 10:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paralegallady

You know, Damon is my favorite character, but I LOVE IT when he gets taken down a notch or two...he needs it every once in a while, I think, lol.

January 24 2011 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I'm glad someone else in the comments cleared up that Frederick didn't get staked-dead by Pearl, she got him in the stomach to punish him for not listening to him. I think he'll prove to be a good villian in eps to come, as well as Pearl, that vamp gots some power! I don't see how Damon & Stefan could possibly beat them on their own. And I can't wait to see the relationship between Jeremy & Anna develop...

April 05 2010 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Mickey - Frederick is Stephen Martines. He's been in 'The Closer,' 'Guiding Light,' and also played Nikolas Cassadine (as Coltin Scott) on 'General Hospital' from 1999-2003. That's where I know him from.

IMDB Page:

April 04 2010 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica H.

Well, i liked the interaction on the double date, and hot stuff stephon with his miss june comment cracked me up (he has an ego people). I wonder if Damon really doesnt care where katherine is right now (the negotiation between pearl and damon), and its apparent that the 25 vamps living on a farm just outside of town already has proven to be too much for damon/stephan.
Jeremy and Anna proves to be interesting.. I think Anna is more into him than he realizes and that's why she didnt kill him. She got to know him and actually likes who he is. He on the other hand is still heart broken over Vicki and apparently that eye trick that damon pulled on him didn't work. I agree totally with what a comment above said about this all being the build up, but i think its the build up to the season finale and lead us to what will happen next season. overall it was an ehh episode and i look forward to more... like damon and stephon getting more good vamps to side with them in an all out war.... that sounds like where its headed.

April 02 2010 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zippy_zip74467

I haven't watched it yet. I watched "FlashForward," and taped "VD" to watch later. I knew if I watched "Vampire Diaries," and taped "FF," I never watch "FF" back. I'm trying to keep up, but "VD" is so much better.

April 02 2010 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Charles - Thanks for the clarification on Frederick. After I posted the piece and shut the computer down, I thought, you know what? She didn't kill him. Which makes me happy, because I love his character. I wonder if they'll explore the Frederick/Jenna encounter further.

Argus - So true about the language. And I see what you mean about the Jeremy shocker, though I'm still really curious to see where it leads. Anna didn't kill him for a reason, so you wonder if she will turn him.

April 02 2010 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

I was disappointed in the resolution of the Anna/Jeremy part of the episode. The conversation went from very good to very.... "This is a television conversation serving to move the plot forward." It wasn't natural at all.

The other thing: I could let the lack of nineteenth century English pass when I heard none of the vamps using it, but hearing them use terms like "gonna" and other more informal nuances of speech really annoys me. There's no way they should be able to casually use those yet.

April 02 2010 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charles

I don't think Frederick is dead. She stabbed him in the stomach and gave him a glass of blood to heal. His girlfriend is toast though.

April 02 2010 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Charles's comment
Mickey

What is Frederick's real name? What else was he in?

April 04 2010 at 2:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
themothchase

This episode was good, but not as great as others - I think they're really working on setting up the rest of the season right now. Jeremy was the biggest, best shocker though - I can't wait to see what Anna decides to do!

Check out my blog post on this episode at http://themothchase.wordpress.com

April 02 2010 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply