August 1, 2014

'Miami Medical' - 'Pilot' Recap (Series Premiere)

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 3rd 2010 2:08AM
miami_medical_2010_cbs
(S01E01)
Like CBS's other medical drama for this TV season, 'Three Rivers,' 'Miami Medical' is very earnest and filled with moments that strive for poignancy. The fact that it doesn't succeed is less a reflection on the network than the creators. At least CBS gets credit for realizing that 'Miami Medical' was less that the sum of its aspirations and planted it in the little viewed Friday, 10 PM time slot.

Unfortunately for Miami, 'Miami Medical' is like the world's worst postcard of paradise. It's not actually filmed in South Florida, but the fakey shots of the real place tries to simulate the locale. In the first few minutes, all the oversaturated sunlit scenes are replaced by dripping blood.

Like something out of driver's ed videos to scare the hell out of you, there's an explosion, then a truck crashes into a nice young pregnant lady and her husband, just when they thought they'd survived the explosion. And all right outside an ice cream shop. Thank you, Jerry Bruckheimer, for the 'FlashForward' style disaster opening.

The whole angle of 'Miami Medical' is that these are the emergency docs that you see when you have only 60 minutes left to live. You have to be at death's door to enter the golden entry, bypassing the raggedy ER downstairs for the penthouse with the premium surgeons. They're the Rolling Stones in the world of rock 'n roll surgeons. That's the tag line for the show, and if CBS is smart, they'll drop it immediately. They would have been better off with less rock and more 'ER' -- gritty and sharp.

Andre Braugher appeared for about seven minutes as an experienced trauma pro, Dr. Raynard, who saved a life -- when nobody else could -- then had a nervous breakdown and couldn't take the sight of blood anymore. Stripping to his all-together, he marched out of the trauma center and off the show. Good move. He's needed back on TNT's 'Men of a Certain Age.' (Did Andre owe someone a favor for this extended cameo? It was like Judd Hirsch in the pilot of 'Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.')

Lana Parrilla, who was so good in 'Swingtown,' was one of the few bright spots, although as Dr. Zambrano, she had one too many occasions to remind her co-stars that she was Latina. We got it after the first three references.

They gave Jeremy Northam a star entrance, although it wasn't exactly realistic that the new attending would just enter in a tee-shirt and shades, wheeling in a trauma patient, and spouting instructions. Very 'ER,' which was obviously the intention. As Dr. Matthew Proctor, he gets the wise words, like "Life. Bloody beautiful," after a baby is delivered prematurely. And then, "This is golden hour. Every patient life or death," when explaining the point of the trauma unit. Heavy.

If you have an interest in good medical drama, this show won't be around very long so don't get involved. NBC's 'Trauma' is also on life-support, but 'Mercy' has a chance. In fact, that's a better show, so give that a shot. 'Miami Medical,' as another critic put it, is pretty much D.O.A. (dead on arrival).

Mountain Girl

I liked this show, and like B, I was never an ER fan. I love love love Omar Gooding!!!!!

April 07 2010 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vickie

I really enjoyed Miami Medical. I also watched ER when it was on. I like this type of medical show I really dont into the ones like Grey's Anatomy.I will watch it as long as it is on.

April 05 2010 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

I really liked Miami Medical. But I love Mercy and Trauma too. I still watch Greys Anatomy and Private Practice. ANYTHING to do with medical ( guess I'm a latent ER worker) lol.

April 05 2010 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Donna's comment
hope

I Really liked miami Medical,What the !#$!#$ The show hasnt been on that long to judge it Dang leave it on!

May 18 2010 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carole

Thank you, I was wondering the whole way through the show who that was playing Dr. Zambrano. I knew she looked familiar just couldn't get it. The premise of this show is good, there is just something about it that doesn't quite gel and I can't put my finger on it.

April 05 2010 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Yokley

This pilot was shot March of 2009 and then reshot with the elimination and addition of a couple of characters from the pilot. So hopefully the next few episodes will gel a bit.
For people in the LA/Long Beach area what was that the facility in the final scenes for the establishing shots of the hospital???

April 04 2010 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

To be honest I loved it.

"They would have been better off with less rock and more 'ER' -- gritty and sharp."

I Hated ER. But I appreciate that other people really enjoyed it so I wouldn't bad mouth it. Seems to me Allison that you went out of your way to ensure that no one gives this show a chance.

April 03 2010 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miles

Before you judge the show remember this was just the pilot episode. Wait for a few regular episodes.

April 03 2010 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

I liked it. I think all the negativity, by about 10 different reviewers, is going to hurt the show. After reading all the bad reviews, I was not going to watch it. But after watching Jamie Oliver, I decided to try it. I liked it and will watch it again.

I'll have to check out Mercy, too. See if I can get caught up on it somewhere.

April 03 2010 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Belle98

Mercy and Trauma are both great medical series and worth the time.

Miami medical--the jury is still out on this but it does have potential if they get rid of the fluff and glitter.

April 03 2010 at 7:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
punksrus

Need to know...is Jeremy Northam related to James Marsters?? In a few shots I actually thought that was who I was looking at!

I got worried when I saw Andre Braugher, I was afraid I missed the news that Men of a Certain Age had been canceled. He was a real bright spot for the few minutes he was on! The show wasn't bad...just not very good.

April 03 2010 at 7:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply