December 20, 2014

'Stargate Universe' - 'Space' Recap

by Mike Moody, posted Apr 3rd 2010 12:47PM
stargate universe space recap
(S01E11) 'Stargate Universe' finally brought me to the edge of my seat. 'Space' was a minor triumph for the show. The mid-season premiere delivered a tight, suspenseful, and engaging hour of sci-fi TV. This was easily the best episode of the series so far.

Did it make up for all those slow-paced, meandering eps we had to sit through during the first half of the season? Probably not, but who cares? 'Space' rocked. Head after the jump for the spoilers.

We picked up with Col. Young feeling the sting of his decision to abandon Rush on the planet. The crew was rightly questioning his story ("Yeah, uh, there was a rock slide and, you know, that Rush guy sorta fell in and died, yeah, that's the ticket!"), and Wray was ready to start a mutiny.

It seemed like almost everyone was missing Rush, especially Eli. The poor guy almost buckled under the pressure of leading the ship through its first space battle.

Let's talk about that battle for a minute. It didn't exactly rival the intense Viper brawls from 'Battlestar Galactica,' and it definitely wasn't as fun as watching a puddle jumper outrun a Wraith hive on 'Stargate Atlantis,' but I still loved every second. The nervousness, confusion and fear among The Destiny crew was palatable as they faced their first alien encounter. The 'Stargate' franchise has always been about ordinary people dealing with extraordinary things, and the battle did a great job of illustrating that idea. Everyone was frightened, overwhelmed, and mesmerized at the same time. Plus, the design of the enemy ship was pretty cool and creepy, and the effects looked great. I hope we see more space battles on the show this season.

And what about those blue CGI aliens? I thought they looked pretty cool. Their sounds and movements were creepy enough. I really didn't have a problem with the design. Maybe I was just desperate to finally see an alien on the show. There's definitely a lack of strange-looking spacemen on TV nowadays, even on Syfy.

I loved that Young discovered the aliens because of a problem with the communication stones. Finally, those things came in handy for something other than goofing around with someone else's body on Earth. Thinking back, it does seem a little too convenient that Young was able to use the stones to board the ship after Chloe was captured, and find Rush on the very same ship! I mean, what are the chances? But all the fun stuff that happened after that - Young breaking Rush out of the tank, the mind-reading gizmos, Rush rescuing Chloe - made up for the convenient plotting.

So Rush went along with Young's story about the rockslide, huh? I figured that would happen. Rush has some pretty heavy ammunition against Young now, and he wasn't about to blow it all at once right after getting back to The Destiny. I really enjoyed their scene together in Young's quarters. Not a lot was said, but there was a lot going on beneath the surface. These two are gonna clash again in a big way, and bad things are gonna happen to the people standing in between them.

With Rush back on the ship and Wray plotting against him, you'd think Young would seem a little more nervous about the prospect of losing his command, or even his life. But he seemed more exhausted than worried during the sappy "oh, we're all so lost and lonely" musical montage that ended the episode. I really like Young (and Justin Louis is great in the role), but something tells me the guy is heading for a fall. It was strange when he ordered Eli to destroy the enemy ship with Rush and Chloe still aboard. Granted, he didn't have many options at that point, but it seemed like a very shrewd decision that might come back to haunt him. Was he really trying to save everyone, or was his only motivation to execute Rush at the expense of Chloe's life?

So the show's getting better, right? It's not great, but last night's ep was a lot of fun and it showed a lot of promise. I feel like the show simply allowed us to live with these characters during the first half of the season. Now we care about them (or some of them anyway) and we care about what happens to them. All of that lends weight to stuff like space battles and alien abductions, which is great.

My main complaint about 'SGU'? It needs more humor. Sure, we got a few light moments here and there ("Ooh, tomatoes!"), but the tone is still a little too weepy. Things don't have to be so doomy and gloomy all the time.

So I'm not really looking forward to next week's Camille Wray-led uprising. It just seems so ... inevitable, you know. Let's hope the blue boys show up again to stir up some trouble.

Other thoughts:

- Is Chloe developing a crush on Rush? I don't know how I feel about that.

- We didn't get a lot of Eli time in this ep. I kinda missed the guy's sense of humor.

- Was the ship that detached from The Destiny many episodes ago part of the blue boys' fleet? If so, does that mean there might be aliens already aboard the ship?

- Who was in the picture Greer was staring at during the montage?

- I still don't really care for Wray. It's nothing against Ming-Na, she does a great job with what she's given, but the character is a bit of a bore.

- Aliens!

Samantha McKay

Just thought I'd comment here that you are not the only one picking up on the whole Chloe has a small crush on Rush.

There is fan-fiction being written for that pairing more than any on the series right now. The amazing power of crazy fans with internet access. IMO I love the pairing idea. Would certainly make for something interesting besides Rush and Young arguing.

But the series is growing on me.

May 05 2010 at 1:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Russell

Stargate Universe would be a lot more watchable if they didn't have to put that stupid experimental music (it is music?) It's a Science Fiction show, not an audition for every wannabe band who practice in their dad's garage!

May 04 2010 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MikeM

I try to imagine how effing cool it would be for me to be on that ship.

The downside? That group of idiots. All of them.
These sare people that were supposedly the best of the best - military, scientists, etc - all hand picked for posting to ANOTHER PLANET in a research base.

And yet they cannot cooperate? Can't even explore the ship properly? Cannot pool resources and manage power requirements?

They are not acting like a team that has been transplanted to a new and unfamiliar area, they are acting like a random assortment of survivors thrown together by happenstance. These people LIVED TOGETHER. And yet they cannot get along? WTF?

Anyway, I think Young and Rush should both get over themselves and become two parts of a three-member government unit - triumvirate. The third member could be Wray or one of the other civilians, not science or military.

Heh. Military, religious and worker castes. :)

April 06 2010 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I'm liking the show, and I'm glad they're moving away from the "borrowed bodies back on Earth" soap opera stuff, but I still have one big gripe: I can't see a damn thing on this show! I'm all for atmospheric, moody lighting; but for pete's sake everything's so dim and murky you can hardly tell what's going on half the time! Is it just my TV doing that, or does it seem awfully dark to you guys too?

April 05 2010 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I liked the episode. I just wish they hadn't brought Rush back. I did not miss him. I know they wrote in that the crew did but the guy is only for himself and his experiments. I think Young is losing it. Which is understandable seeing where their all at and going through. I am not surprised they don't have more losing it. I don't like how they have Wray now plotting against Young and basically the military. She would not be able to stand the pressure or save the crew. She has no true experience in dangerous situations like the military does.

April 04 2010 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

I suppose they could have named this episode:
"Convenience". It was an entertaining episode however. Bring back FLOGGING MOLLY!

April 04 2010 at 9:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DrWho

Lots of action, though I'm not sure what it was all about. Are we likely to see the cgi aliens again, or was it just a convenient plot device to get Dr Rush back on-board? If so, then ep was pretty much wasted and all the excitement was for naught. On the other hand, it might prove interesting if they choose to develop this story further.

Also, I was totally pulled out of the story when they started playing that stupid music/musical montage towards the end. WTF?!

April 04 2010 at 8:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

By far the best episode yet. The Blue Meany aliens are interesting and I am intrigued to find out what they want with Destiny and/or her passengers ( they are certainly not a crew), and why did they not communicate with them other than to demand their surrender. Lots of good stuff going on and things to look forward to!
However, aside from their original problem of being stuck on an uncontrolable alien ship with no way home, the passengers of Destiny are plagued with a leadership problem that continues to become more acute. Col. Young has lost all credibility as a commanding officer after attacking Tedford, attacking Rush, stranding him and lying about it, then apparently planning to cover up the fact that he found him alive on the Blue Meany ship. Lt. Scott is pretty much an idiot with no mind of his own. His first thought after Eli found the planted gun in Youngs quarters was to immediately cover it up, threatening not only his credibility when it inevitably was exposed, but also risking casting even more suspicion on the military by the wary civilians. Wray is something of a fanatic, who pursues her agenda, whatever it is, to the exclusion of fairness, conflicting information or changing circumstances. She feels she should be in charge, but is in no way qualified for the job. She was ready and wiling to railroad Young in a kangaroo court, ignoring evedince and due process in order to achieve her goals. Beware people who always think they are right and that their way is the only way. Rush would probably become an obsessive dictator, given the chance.
Lastly, the reason I call the people aboard Destiny passengers, rather than a crew, is because the are basically just along for the ride. Instead of doing a systematic study of the ship and finding out what they can and cannot control.. weapons, communications, life support, etc, then assigning qualified people to explore and learn as much as they can about the ships capabilities, they just let Rush piddle around on the bridge, doing god knows what all day long. When the aliens attacked, Eli was the only one really doing anything while everyone else sat on their hands or yelled at Eli. Does that make sense? The defense of the entire ship comes down to Math Boy? Call it the Easter Egg Defense, putting all of your eggs in one basket.

April 04 2010 at 3:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SciFiGuy

It's no coincidence that Rush was on the same ship as Chloe. Col Young speculated that the aliens have been studying "Destiny" for some time. As others have said, probably the pod that detached in the 1st ep was from this same ship, which has been following "Destiny". Since they've been following, naturally they quickly picked up Rush when he was stranded near their crashed ship. Apparently they felt they either learned enough from Rush to confront "Destiny", or they were so frustrated by Rush that they decided to grab someone else.

Was anyone else bothered by Chloe's Canadian pronunciation of "against" at the end as uh-GAYnst? No daughter of a _US_ Senator would pronounce it that way. Someone should hire a dialect coach for the lovely Ms. Levesque. I can ignore the occasional "aboot" that slips out but her remark that Rush used the mind reader uh-GAYNST the aliens took me right out of the story. What next, will she look for a ZEDpm?

April 04 2010 at 1:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

"Was he really trying to save everyone, or was his only to execute Rush at the expense of Chloe's life? "

I think he made a tactical decision. Keep in mind that they barely know how to use the full capabilities of Destiny. What was to stop the enemy from signaling allies to aid them and overwhelm Destiny. They already proved they could breach the ship.

"Rush has some pretty heavy ammunition against Young now, and he wasn't about to blow it all at once right after getting back to The Destiny."

I'm not so sure about that. It's more of a stalemate. While rush may have a pretty good poker hand, so does Young, after all, Not only has Rush been trying to usurp Young's authority in the past, but he went so far as to frame him for murder. Now we learned that there appears to be a conspiracy to remove him from command, long before his leaving Rush for dead.

April 04 2010 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply