October 25, 2014

'Chuck' - 'Chuck Versus The Other Guy' Recap

by Brad Trechak, posted Apr 5th 2010 11:50PM
Chuck(S03E13) This would have been an excellent season finale. In fact, had NBC stuck by their original episode order quantity for 'Chuck,' this would be the season finale. But they didn't so it isn't. We did see the storylines for this season thus far wrap up nicely with the added bonus of seeing the next logical step of the one that has been around since the first season.

The episode was particularly enjoyable. There was comedy, drama, romance and a little bit of action (although more action happened off-screen, but there was enough emotional action to more than make up for it).

So, Chuck and Sarah are finally in love with no more hindrances or excuses. It's a full-blown relationship and Shaw is out of the way, both figuratively and literally. We also had Casey reinstated (it was going to happen eventually), a Director of the Ring incarcerated and Morgan as the new official member of Operation Bartowski. The next logical step is for Ellie to get in on the secret, but we need to take these things in baby steps.

Admittedly, there are still a few unanswered questions. Did the Ring get the specs to the Intersect? Aren't there other directors to take Mark Sheppard's place? If Shaw did betray his country, why wouldn't he have told the Ring about Chuck being the Intersect? There are enough danging plots to keep the show going for at least six more episodes.

Morgan stole the show tonight as comic relief. Since his prevalence on the show will (hopefully) increase in "Season Three, Part Two," it's good to establish him now in that role. Jeffster had barely a walk-on and Ellie and Awesome were nowhere to be seen. Big Mike was a nice foil for Morgan in the comic relief scenes, particularly when he made mention of his relationship with Morgan's mother (yeah, continuity).

I didn't realize Chuck's middle name was Irving. Was Morgan's mention of this the first time ever on the show? Also, didn't Sarah pretty much ruin their gaming system by cutting all the chords that were binding Morgan with a knife?

Does General Beckman have video phones everywhere? That woman is a workaholic.

If I had to grab a theme of "Season Three, Part One" from mid-air, it would be that it's possible to love a person and your country at the same time. A lack of this knowledge cost Casey his fiancee and child but allowed Chuck and Sarah to be together. Also, wasn't it cool that Chuck finally got to see the Eiffel Tower like he wanted to when he met Kristen Kreuk and fought "Stone Cold" Steve Austin? And why does every Parisian window in television and movies face the Eiffel Tower? I'm just saying.

We have a three week break before the final six episodes of the season (and quite possibly the series). Future episodes see the return of Julia Ling as Anna (a Ring agent?) and Chuck and Ellie's father as played by Scott Bakula, who miraculously found the time to visit between episodes of 'Men of a Certain Age.' We're not quite done with 'Chuck' yet.

[Watch episodes and clips of 'Chuck' on SlashControl]

TechGuy

The resolution of the Chuck-Sarah angst was very satisfying, especially when Sarah shuts off the comm with General Beckman! Overall, the whole season has been a bit disappointing: the reduced cast, the ongoing he-her dynamics, and even the flashing was getting somewhat predictable. This episode was a harbinger of good things to come, and the preview of the Season 3 Part 2 really gets my hopes back. That said, I thought the episode plot, with Shaw going rogue, was extremely contrived. Okay, so Shaw needed to be killed off. But instead of caring about going for the goons who tricked Sarah into killing his wife, he turns on Sarah? And then turns down multiple opportunities to do it properly? And does such a sloppy job of it that he gets killed for it? And allies with the Director? And what's the Director doing getting so close to all the action? For crying out loud, he wouldn't even speak with Shaw at the Ring HQ except by hologram! Again, the plot was completely far-fetched, but bringing back Chuck + Sarah, restoring Casey, and eliminating Shaw makes me feel good about the rest of the season. Oh, and was it just me or were there an awful lot of Windows logos making it into the camera?

April 08 2010 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
padawanpot

I can't believe it, Chuck and Sarah are edging dangerously close to my all time favorite TV couple - Sydney Bristow and Michael Vaughn. It all hangs in the treatment of their new relationship in the next couple of episodes.

April 08 2010 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan

I fully expected a little more comic relief by seeing some guy--perhaps an over-the-top Russian spy sort--to lean up from the other side of General Beckman's bed to ask who's calling so late.

Too bad. Could have been a great cameo opportunity.

April 07 2010 at 9:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metz

I'm sorry, chuck jumped the shark for me last night. It went from humorous to ludicrous. The situations were way too contrived, the acting was hammier than Get Smart and the whole thing fell flat. I certainly hope that the extra six episodes are better than the last several. These last few have been billed as the best ever and I'm just not seeing it. Even the flashing is getting old. The only thing Chuck flashes on these days is fighting skills. Is that really what the all mighty intersect is to the NSA and CIA? It's worse than a Rimbaldi device.

April 06 2010 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edgore

I was highly entertained because I was watching it with my daughter and during the first fight scene with the two ring guys she actually said "Wow -way to pull a punch dud. This fight is really badly choreographed". Sure enough, a bit later we see Morgan say essentially the same thing. Does this mean she can get a job at the CIA?

April 06 2010 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandee

New to Chuck (mid-season last year) is Morgan with the CIA? Or am I mishearing things? The reason I didn't start with Chuck season one is because I was afraid that I'd like it and t would be cancelled. I really think I curse shows or is just NBC is such a mess?

April 06 2010 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

I hope, when the time finally comes for a 'Chuck' series finale -- hopefully a few more seasons down the road -- that it's as satisfying as this.

I'm really enjoying the Morgan/Casey dynamic and I'm glad that, from the preview, we'll see more of it. I'm also happy that Morgan finally proved his worth, so to speak, and I hope they let him grow up a little more over the next few episodes.

April 06 2010 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eowyn

They have used Charles Irving Bartowski at least a couple of times, most memorably when Morgan called him over the intercom in versus the Beard to then fire him as his best friend.

April 06 2010 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric H

I am hoping for at least 5 seasons if they can keep this going!

April 06 2010 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evan

Honestly, if I never see Morgan or the rest of the Buymore ever again, I think I would like this show a lot better than I already do.

April 06 2010 at 8:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply