October 21, 2014

Four Reasons Why 'Chuck' is an All-Time Favorite

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 5th 2010 11:06AM
ChuckOne thing that TV fans love to do is create their list for "My Favorite TV Shows of All-Time." Every few years I calculate mine, and for several years, the list didn't change that much.

Oh, maybe a couple of shows switched places or maybe a show dropped from number five to number eight, but for the most part the list stayed the same. That all changed a couple of years ago when I had to add both 'Mad Men' and '30 Rock' to the list. I still haven't figured out which two shows in the top ten I'll have to take off.

I'll also have to add a third show to that list, and that would be NBC's 'Chuck' (tonight at 8 on NBC). I don't know if it wedges its way into the top ten, but it's definitely top twenty. Here's why.

1. A great cast. This is what it all comes down to in a show like this, right? The writing can be top-notch and the direction fine, but if you don't like Chuck, Sarah, Casey, or Morgan, the show wouldn't work. Even the Buy More guys, even though they can be, um, CREEPY, are likable in their own way. I always smile to myself when I see a role - whether it's a regular role on a TV show or just a guest spot - that is cast so perfectly, and 'Chuck' makes me smile. I have no idea what is going on at the 'Chuck' studio, but it seems to me that everyone is having a ball, and that shows on the screen.

2. It's not predictable. 'Chuck' is a light, one-hour action show, but it's not like 'The Fall Guy' or 'Charlie's Angels' or 'Vegas' (fine as that show was), where you knew exactly where the plot was going, exactly who the bad guy was, exactly how an episode was going to end. 'Chuck' has managed, somehow, to surprise us week after week.

Didn't you mutter a soft "wow" to yourself when Tony Hale got a bullet in the head by the assassin? Didn't you smile a bit when the girl that Chuck met on the plane didn't turn out to be an evil spy (a twist every other show would have thrown at us)? I'm not saying that every episode ends with a giant plot twist or cliffhanger, but the show is filled with nice unpredictable moments - both plot-driven and character-driven - that put it above the mediocre shows.

3. The show has actually grown. It is so, so easy for shows like this to get into a rut. To have just another "case of the week" where our heroes get their assignments, get into a jam, but then everything works out in the end and they capture or kill the bad guys and the credits roll and we do the same thing the following week. 'Chuck' is different.

Wouldn't it have been lame and stupid and incredibly frustrating if Chuck had been able to keep his spy secrets from those closest to him from the first episode to the last? Letting Captain Awesome in on the secrets was a, well, awesome decision by the writers. And having Morgan find out about it and actually not tell anyone? Another great decision.

Characters are evolving, they're learning, they're getting better at their jobs, new characters are coming on, people are dying, and it just feels like the plot is moving forward instead of just sitting there like a puddle. Even if the show were to end after this season, at least fans (and the people behind the show) can be happy with the fact it didn't grow stale or rest on its laurels.

4. It's just flat-out entertaining. Let's face it. A lot of shows, even if they are of a certain quality, can often be tedious or you just don't have any fun watching them. 'Chuck' really is a fun show, sort of a throwback to the types of network shows we used to see in the 70s and 80s (though the special effects and car chases are a lot better).

The creators have given us a bunch of cool characters, put them in situations we actually care about, and surrounded everything with action, humor, and wit. Honestly, what more can we ask from a TV show?

Now if only the ratings were a lot better. Gentlemen, start your sandwiches.

Sophia

PLEASE I LOVE THIS SHOW IT THE BESRT I ONLY WATCH THIS SHOW I LIVE FOR THIS SHOW GO TOhttp://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b174881_save_one_show_vote_now_final_five.html?utm_source=door&utm_medium=saveoneshowfdbanner&utm_campaign=saveoneshow_us&intcid=fdb-100405-saveoneshowfdbanner-saveoneshow_us AND VOTE FOR CHUCK OUR SHOW COULD BE GONE GUYS VOTE FOR CHUCK AT THIS LINK AND KEEP VOTING TILL YOUR FINGERS "ARE ON FIRE" ( IF ANY OF YOU RECALL CASEY SAYING "" YOUR FINGERS BETTER BE ON FIRE IF YOUR CALLING"" guy just vote DOESN'T MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES YOU THIS SHOW DESERVES TO STAY I AM STARTING A PETITION FOLLOW CHUCK ON TWITTER AND FACEBOOK, EVERY MONDAY I FREAK OUT BECAUSE CHUCK IS ON EVERY WEEK I WORK ON MY FAN FIC GO TO http://www.notoriousjmg.com AND READ THE EXCEPTIONALLY WELL WRITTEN FAN FIC BASED ON CHUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! GO VOTE AND READ GUYS WE LOVE THIS SHOW

April 07 2010 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

Let me see malren, is that your name? Whatever. You dear girl or guy or whatever, are an ass.Chuck is a great show and Sarah is a great charatcer. Sure the writing may not have been fantastic for every episode but give them a break geez. I'd imagine it's not easy writing fantastic episode after fantastic episode. Why don't you give it a try. See if any networks pick up your cr@ppy a$$ show. Peoples opinions differ. You may have hated an episode that someone else had loved. Its not easy to please every single person. So stop your b!tching and stop watching if you dont like it anymore. Judging from the mass voting down that you got, a lot of people arent happy and dont agree with what you said. Bet you feel like crap now that Chuck and Sarah are finally together. How did you like Chuck vs, the other guy. Did it placate you. Write your own show or better yet, just conjure one up in your imagination to please yourself but dont go flaming a great show just because YOU arent happy with the direction its been going in. Chuck is a show that has a mass amount of viewers only tuning in to watch the romantic aspect of the show. Wouldt you find it hard to write for a show that isnt only a romance. It has a lot of genres mixed in together. And dont go spouting off something stupid like: oh, they could just make it a romance then. No, beacuse then a lot of other people would be dissappointed because there are also a lot of viewers tuning in for the action alone or the comedy alone or whatever. So honestly, stop your kicking and screaming and stfu cause well, youre giving me a headache. Douche.

April 06 2010 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john g

just watch it because the Girl is HOT

April 06 2010 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
philly_phenom

Anyone else think Chuck would fit perfectly on USA? If Chuck, Sarah & Casey would fit right in with Michael, Fiona & Sam.

USA could have a "spy night".

April 06 2010 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aiden

Right on 100%@! If this show doesn't get renewed, we'll lose a very valuable, entertaining show.

April 06 2010 at 2:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nok

Chuck's first 2 seasons were great. In fact brilliant! It was must see tv for me. Now it's just, meh.
The Chuck & sarah thing has gotten old really quickly. Move it on already.
The show has lost it's magic, charm and is no longer fun to watch anymore. I hate to say it, but I think Chuck's time is up.

April 05 2010 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

AGREE this is the best season yet!!!!!

April 05 2010 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hrgfan

No words can describe how excited I am for tonight. And I heard from ZL himself that the back six is going to be epicness in it's self. Bummed though we have to wait nearly THREE weeks till the beginning of the end, as it were :(

April 05 2010 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bryan Smith

Chuck is really a great tv show. I'm entertained virtually every episode and look forward to it each week. That's all I can ask of television and it definitely delivers.

April 05 2010 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick M

Tonight's episode is amazing, I saw it yesterday at Wondercon, it cannot be missed. It's the best episode of the series for me. Be sure to tell everyone you know.

April 05 2010 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply