October 30, 2014

That Was Quick: FOX Pulls 'Sons of Tuscon'

by Nick Zaino, posted Apr 5th 2010 6:25PM
Sons of Tucson From the very first commercials for Fox's 'Sons of Tucson,' it was hard to imagine the show lasting. It looked like a vehicle designed for Jack Black that fell in Tyler Labine's lap - three kids hire a bearded, chubby slacker to pose as their dad when their real father goes to prison. Labine even says, in the debut episode, that he is going to "rock it hard."

It was your standard non-standard family unit (undoubtedly with heart) that has been the bread and butter of sitcoms for decades. Precocious kids, a funny guy with a bit of a beer tummy - how could it fail?
Well, four episodes into its run, 'Sons of Tucson' is done, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The Reporter wrote today that the show is no longer on Fox's schedule, and will come back this summer on Sundays at 7:30 PM, where the rest of the episodes will be "burned off." It's a quiet little spot where the show can go to die, along with 'Til Death,' which the Reporter said has also been officially canceled, and will finish its run Sundays at 7 PM.

'American Dad' will take the 9:30 PM spot 'Sons of Tucson' was occupying.

Tom

From how I read it, it made it sound like American Dad was replacing Sons from another time slot, rather than resuming its' old one.

April 06 2010 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mack Swift

I didn't think the show was that bad. It was kinda funny. It actually almost reminded me of Malcolm in the Middle.

April 06 2010 at 8:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony Molee

Tyler was great however the kids were weak...they were just plain annoying...To watch Modern Family and then go to this show pointed out issues from a "kids" perspective.

April 06 2010 at 7:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathaniel

That's genuinely too bad. It took a few weeks, but now I have started to enjoy this show. Oh well.

April 06 2010 at 1:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Wow alk02g...I was going to say bad luck...but I hope you're just joking about that....might just want to pick a few...well...actually good shows to watch.

But anyway I was going to try and come to Labine defense with a little credit because he was really good in Reaper. But him leaving that for this? Its a shame to say the least.

April 05 2010 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chris's comment
wulfn1

Did he have a choice? It was cancelled too!

Dang Bruce really has a lot of angst toward the show.
Sometimes "nonsense" shows actually make it. Seinfeld did. Geez even "Alf" made it for several seasons, like THAT was realistic?!

April 06 2010 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alk02g

it seems that any show I've ever watched from the first episode never lasts. This one. The Goode Family. Lincoln Heights. And these are just the ones in the last two season. I'm now fearing for Miami Medical. :-/

April 05 2010 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to alk02g's comment
j0phus

Please start watching reality tv.

April 07 2010 at 1:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

I watched the preview for it and it just screamed "CANCELLED" ... surely any network exec with half a braincell would look at this show and know, beyond all doubt, that it would be a huge flop and that it would get cancelled after 4-5 episodes. So why would they make it?

Indeed, the schmuck who created the show probably spent the last five years trying to get the pilot script into Jack Black's hands. Then he gave up and tried to get it into Dan "the poor man's Jack Black" Fogler's hands... but he couldn't even accomplish that. So Fox, after having recently cancelled some good shows, takes this asinine script (it makes no sense in at least two dozen ways), finds this Tyler Labine guy on the street because neither Jack Black nor Dan Fogler were willing to denegrate their names by doing this show... and Fox actually gives it a green light and produces a few episodes!

Fox is so reckless in wasting its money on crap shows you'd think they were using taxpayer bailout dollars. For Fox to spend even five bucks on this show is a blatant breach of fiduciary duty to its shareholders.

And yes, I actually did watch a few minutes of the pilot episode, and it was beyond horrible. I'd rather watch 100 straight hours of Hanna Montana than five more minutes of Sons of Tuscon.

Maybe if someone explained to me how a single parent with three kids, who gets sent to prison, somehow results in the three kids roaming the country without a legal guardian, with access to their parents property, assets, etc.

Anyone can create a TV show if shows don't have to make any sense. I have a great idea for a show - Fidel Castro is elected President of the United States, and in his eigth term as President he decides to appoint a five year old girl to be Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Hilarity ensues!

April 05 2010 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to bruce's comment
Greg

Bruce, you really can't critique a show if you haven't even seen it. Your whole diatribe falls on deaf ears.

April 06 2010 at 8:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hak Foo

I have to say the whole Fidel Castro shows sounds awesome!

And I agree your rant doesn't hold much water if you haven't even finished a whole episode. I usually give shows 3 episodes before making a decision.

April 06 2010 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deezul

Missed episode 1, recorded the past few. I was going to watch the first episode via Hulu while on out of town business, but now I guess I won't bother.

April 05 2010 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

The irony, I just watched the whole series so far on hulu today and decided I would start watching. I thought it was pretty funny, funny enough that I didn't stop at episode 1.

April 05 2010 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

This was a nice little show that seemed to be trying.
While Tyler Labine was playing a "Jack Black" type, he was doing it pretty well, and the kids on the show were definitely entertaining.

I thought it was better than alot of other stuff that's out there, but I guess that doesn't say much these days.

April 05 2010 at 6:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply