October 24, 2014

'The Amazing Race' - 'You're Like Jason Bourne, Right?'

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Apr 5th 2010 1:02AM
Carol and Brandy lug incense on 'The Amazing Race'
(S16E08) Tonight will make or break this season's strongest team, Jet and Cord, on 'The Amazing Race.' I know some folks might say they aren't the strongest team as they came in last in the previous leg and were only saved by it being a non-Philimination leg. But I beg to differ. They definitely had a bad leg; they most certainly screwed up by not reading a clue. Even taking that into consideration, they're the strongest team. They seem to be up to almost every task thrown their way, and they work well together as a team. Can they overcome the speed bump and continue the race?

My gravy, we're in Malaysia!
It seems that the show is bunching up the teams more this season than they have done before. Once again, as they left the pit stop in Seychelles, they all boarded the same plane on their way to Malaysia. I have to admit I enjoy the bunching when a favorite team of mine is behind, as it gives them the chance to start out fresh and even. But when it's overused (as I feel it has been this season), it seems like some of the hunger for the win or incentive to be first falls by the wayside. What do you think? Am I off base that they've done this a bit too much this season? I realize the alternative might be one team way ahead. But ... sheesh!

Snakes, Detours and Roadblocks, oh my
Those were beautiful snakes in the temple, but I don't think the idea would fly here in New Jersey. While Seychelles was a new and exciting country for me to discover last week, I'm a bit more aware of Malaysia. That said, the temples and architecture still captured my attention as the teams raced through the area. Once again, the show gave me a special peek into the country and people, along with some of the traditional music. You just can't beat these cultural glimpses with a stick, can you?

Simply reading the details of the roadblock made it sound like the flag balancing on the forehead one would be impossible. At least, that's what I thought until Jet and Cord went for it and changed their luck in the race. All of the other teams with the exception of Steve and Allie went for lugging huge heavy incense sticks up a gazillion stairs in the heat instead. Allie freaked at the flags and they ended up doing incense, too. Carol and Brandy lost their early lead by resting too much as other teams took on the task. Good. I don't really like them. They're snippy and snipe at each other and the other teams. I don't care all that much for Brent and Caite, but they're right -- Carol and Brandy are mean.

The real leaders of the pack ended up being the cowboys. Even with their tea sniffing and delivering speed bump, they continued to excel and pass the rest. They hit the roadblock first after completing the detour and their speed bump. As Cord wore both cowboy hats, Jet smashed a whole lot of coconuts before getting the one with color inside. Some of the other teams ended up selecting the color coconut quicker, but it was the luck of the draw. And, it didn't even matter -- by that time, the cowboys had left the other teams in their dust.

The last shall be first and the first shall be last
For the first time in the history of the show, a team who started out last with a speed bump overcame it all to come in first at the pit stop. Now, I don't think many teams who have been saved from elimination the previous legs have been as strong as Jet and Cord. But it's still amazing that the cowboys pulled it off, came in first and won their trip to Maui. I think I'm liking these two more each week. They don't let themselves get down, and they're great competitors. Plus, they're entertaining as all get out. They just have to really follow those clues.

I think it might be the first time ever that the teams arrived in the exact opposite order as they did in the previous leg. This week the pit stop order was Jet and Cord, Carol and Brandy, Louie and Michael, Brent and Caite, Dan and Jordan, and Steve and Allie. Flop that over and you have the pit stop order from last week. Unfortunately for the last team this week, there was a Philimination. Steve and Allie didn't make the cut. I so much would rather they remain in the race than Carol and Brandy or Caite and Brent. They were a good team and great to watch! Oh well, at least the cowboys redeemed themselves.

Let's have an anti-popularity poll! Which team do you like the least?
Jet and Cord26 (3.3%)
Carol and Brandy528 (66.8%)
Louie and Michael19 (2.4%)
Jordan and Dan21 (2.7%)
Brent and Caite197 (24.9%)

Sigma982

A few comments:

1) The actual filming of this season's Amazing Race ended in December of 2009, right before Christmas.

2) Stop it with the whole "bigotry" claims with Caite. Carol and Brandy are just as guilty of calling people names, calling Caite dumb and stupid the ENTIRE season without really knowing her. The fact is, Carol and Brandy are lesbians. Plain and simple. If Caite was calling them some other names for lesbians, then yes, you would have a point. But she isn't, so you don't have a point. Plus, it looks as though Brent is actually less intelligent than Caite is....AND the girl from Big Brother wasn't exactly a rocket scientist either.

I'm not a big Caite fan, but I think it's ridiculous that she's getting beaten up by people. I think she's actually come across as MUCH better than her Teen USA speech, and if anything, she's only the 3rd dumbest person on the season. :)

Carol and Brandy are snotty, whiny beeyotches that could give a crap about anyone on the Race. Which is fine. But the other teams are more justified in their opinion of the lesbians, than C&B are in their opinion of anyone they've come in contact with the entire season.

April 06 2010 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pauljtaylor

I know how you could beat those cultural glimpses with a stick: HD!

April 05 2010 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

So I'm thinking this season of Race is filmed an in the can. Right? The reason I ask is that I saw Brandy here in Salt Lake City. I was drinking my coffee and she goes walking by. I thought of saying hi, but I didn't remember which one was Carol and which was Brandy. It was Brandy, the skinny dark-haired lesbian. So if the season is still filming then her team didn't win. If it's over she probably didn't win either because she'd be too rich to be shopping at a Salt Lake strip mall. Her bio says Los Angeles. Maybe she's here to ski.

April 05 2010 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rae

As annoying as Carol and Brandy are with the constant bickering/complaining, Caite is far worse. She never calls Carol and Brandy by their names - she just refers to them as "The Lesbians." Over and over and over. The Lesbians. The Lesbians. The Lesbians. It's rude, bigoted and sounds like nails on a chalkboard.

April 05 2010 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rae's comment
Mike

How is it bigoted? Are they not lesbians? Is lesbian a slur?

April 07 2010 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

I wish there would have been bunching for Jeff & Jordan and I had to vote for Brent & Caite up there and Louie & Michael only came in first 3x in a row due to no bunching and its the same reason Jeff & Jordan couldn't catch up that and they had a idiot cabbie UGH !!!!! J&J BIG brother all*stars 2 :)

April 05 2010 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

Did you see how the show ended? They always want you to believe that the teams are really close to the pit stop when they rarely are. They showed Jordan and Dan finishing the detour and driving away in their cab when the cameras went right to Steve and Allie arriving and it never showed Jordan and Dan in the same picture as Steve and Allie. That meant they left earlier than Steve and Allie and had plenty of time to finish the race.

April 05 2010 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

Carol and Brandy are not my favorite team because of there sniping and I don't really notice them making fun of others. We don't get to see the behind the scenes interaction. But I prefer them over Brent and Caite. I was so happy to see them lose to Carol and Brandy. It made them so angry to lose to them since they were ahead of them earlier.
Allie was getting on my nerves. I know its hot there but stop bitching. I am glad they are gone. I want Jet and Cord to win the whole thing.

April 05 2010 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mickbw

As much as I and my family enjoy watching the Race I am really considering not watching the rest of this season.

Personally I don't really like Carol and Brandy much as a team. They fight all the time and whine a lot but the reason why some of the teams dislike them is because of their sexual preference and they make no bones about that.

Caite is especially offensive and I really think that CBS should not be showing her comments so prominently. This never would have happened if someone was espousing racist comments. I certainly wouldn't have minded seeing more coverage of Steve and Allie (sadly they were eliminated) than that shallow little twit.

April 05 2010 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky

Joyce N, I agree with you. Jet and Cord are refreshing. No matter how had the task, how bad the breaks, they never cuss or snipe at each other. They seem like nice, good old American boys.

April 05 2010 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Far less bunching this season. In previous seasons it was virtually every leg. Whether it was at airports, or releasing the teams at 11pm for a 6am opening, they're using bunching far less this year... and it sucks.

Sure, I used to think that bunching was unfair and a problem... Then we had 3 legs of the detectives winning without really having to push for it.

As Joyce N. says above, it would've been nice for a bit of bunching the last time there was a leg with a speed bump, as there was no other way for J&J to come back... and they didn't.

Then again, I find it really suspect that the non-Philimination legs were magically won by the two celebrity teams. Do you really think the producers wanted J&J out so soon? Do you think they want the PBR brothers out? Seemed awfully convenient that it worked out that way, didn't it?

April 05 2010 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply