September 2, 2014

'24' - '7:00 AM - 8:00 AM' Recap

by Mike Moody, posted Apr 6th 2010 10:29AM
24 7am - 8 am recao
(S08E16) The second hour of Fox's '24' double-bill kicked off with the hunt for the CTU mole. This was probably the stronger episode of the two that aired last night, considering the shocking development that ended the hour. This season still feels like its rehashing old plots and twists, but a few of tonight's scenes and images will probably be burned into the memories of fans for some time to come.

Head after the jump for the spoils.

CTU finally made Dana, and it was Chloe who learned about her double-dealing first. I was hoping we'd get to see another Chloe-Dana face-off, but it just wasn't in the cards. Instead, Dana shot her way out of the building (poor Jim, he was just doing his job) and she even made it to her car. (How the hell did she make it to her car?) Luckily, Cole seemed to gain superpowers after learning about Dana's betrayal, and he was able to capture her before she got away.

I guess Freddie Prinze Jr. has become a pretty decent actor, because I really felt for Cole in this ep. His world was rocked, and he was devastated to find out that his fiancée was working for the terrorists all along. Cole refused to accept the truth about Dana at first, but he soon sprang into action, brutally pulling her out of the car by her hair, slamming her against the wall and pressing his gun against her face. Hardcore. Hastings was able to call him off, and Dana saved her own ass by providing valuable intel on Hassan's location.

Dana negotiated a deal similar to the one Bazhaev tried to cut many hours ago and remained smug and defiant throughout her conversation with Jack. The guy couldn't help but pick her up and slam her against the wall, a popular move this hour.

Jack and Renee seemed convinced that Dana had more on the line than money. She wouldn't reveal exactly whom she was working for, which frustrated Jack and the entire team. It'll be interesting to find out who's pulling her strings. And if we didn't hate her enough already, the writers actually gave her the line "Tick tock, Mr. Bauer. You're running out of time." Ugh.

Hassan's back-and-forth with Samir was similar to his conversation with Tarin in the previous hour, only it was more intense. Anil Kapoor was excellent in these scenes. I loved his tone and confidence when he was trying to convince Samir to trust him.

Unfortunately, Samir was too far gone. But Hassan proved stronger than the terrorists had anticipated. He refused to denounce the peace treaty, saying that peace would happen with or without him, countering Ethan Kanin's awesome line "Without Hassan, there can be no peace."

Jack remained focused and clear while leading the strike team to rescue Hassan. The writers hiked up the tension and suspense by bringing Renee in on Jack's assault team. For a while there I thought Renee was a goner for sure, especially after Jack made her promise to stay close to him and follow his lead. But Renee was just a red herring. The real surprise here was Hassan's brutal death.

The image of Hassan's dead body will probably be seared into my brain for weeks (so thanks for that, '24'). It was so devastating that even Jack looked shaken when he saw it. Everyone was visibly defeated and disappointed to learn that the live feed was actually a recording and Samir had killed Hassan before Jack had even entered the building. How exactly did Samir time everything so perfectly? Magic, of course. There's really no other explanation.

This hour ended on a major downbeat. I'll miss Kapoor's presence on the show. I'm not exactly sure where the show is headed, but something tells me that the next big development has something to do with that conversation the Prez had with the Russian delegate.

Other thoughts:
- I loved watching Chloe bluntly tell Arlo to "get over" the Dana situation. You gotta love Chloe.
- I also got a chuckle from Cole's excuse for not reporting Dana's dual identities to Hastings: "I only learned about it a few hours ago!"
- I'm glad Renee's alive. I want Jack to have a "happily ever after" before he heads to the movies.
- Is anyone ever gonna find Stephen Root's body? It's gotta be stinking up the place by now.

[Watch clips and full episodes of '24' over on SlashControl.]

evie

I'm finally caught up this season and I love it. I'm already sad it's going to be over. I wish the writers would let Jack end up with Renee, but they won't. For some reason, they have him doomed to misery and isolation. So, they'll probably have him kill Renee for the good of the country. Or watch her be killed. Or some other sacrifice vis a via Renee that will break my heart.

It's important to never get invested in a character other than Jack and Chloe. They are very likely to die or be revealed as a traitor. See Season 1. And 2-8.

April 08 2010 at 1:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

Amazing season so far, great quality acting and good twists. I think seasons 1 & 8 will be most memorable, which is fitting.

April 07 2010 at 5:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bonbon99

I guess the engagement's off.

Cole was TICKED.

Dana is pretty much hosed right now, since they didn't get Hassan alive. I hope Cole gets his revenge; he deserves it.

I loved the exchange between Tarrin and Hassan in the car. I also slightly screamed when we saw Hassan with his throat slit. That was terrifying.

And he's DEAD. They had the silent clock.

I don't care what anyone says, I don't care if they are using the same things over again, I am excited about what they will do next.

Jack and Renee won't live happily ever after. It's not in the 24 style to leave happy couples alone (ex. Cole and Dana, Tony and Michelle).

April 06 2010 at 10:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PB

Three more eps and all the 24 haters can go haunt the V, Lost, FlashForward, Bones and any other crappy one hour dramas on TV.

April 06 2010 at 9:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

Not a single NYPD office anywhere to assist ?
Why did they not stop or at least track the blue car leaving the garage.. What next ? Jack Bauer will be able to fly?

April 06 2010 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eric's comment
perryrants

shark jumping in the final hour!!

April 07 2010 at 1:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I like your thinking, NoCtuMole. There's much more going on than meets the eye...

And this season is NOT a lost cause. Wait.

April 06 2010 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NoCtuMole

I don't think Hassan is dead. Samir was working DEEP cover and the whole operation aimed to smoke out the Russian support behind the IRK dissidents.
Dead guy is body double --
Samir and Hassan will re-emerge after Russians show their hand and Jack defeats them...

April 06 2010 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to NoCtuMole's comment
Edward

They gave Hassan a silent clock at the end of the ep. Every major character's death has received the silent clock treatment.

April 06 2010 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MSBNYY

I think the review of the first hour said it best. Yes, there was action, and twists, and turns, but ultimately, the season became a lost cause. Dana is a terrible villain. Someone no one really cares about. Everything they are doing has been done before. There is no surprise. They just got rid of the best thing about the season--Hasan's hair.

This episode was better, but they were doing something that pretty much any writer can do--make a drastic major change to the season.

It's a shame the show is going out with such a bad season.

April 06 2010 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

Leave it to Brannon Braga to write the ep with the cheesy lines and plot that everyone hates.

April 06 2010 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Edward's comment
perryrants

yep and he messed up star trek!

April 07 2010 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Skeptic

I am so angry that President Hassan was murdered!! The man who played him did SO WELL it really made me empathize with his character - seemed like such a good, decent man. I was choked-up seeing him dead. I am so sorry that the story-line went this way. I would have so loved to have seen him rescued.

April 06 2010 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Skeptic's comment
Phish

The actor is Anil Kapoor, he's huge in bollywood, he also had a villanous role playing the host in Slumdog Millionaire.

April 07 2010 at 5:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply