July 25, 2014

The Cancelled 'American Chopper'... is Ready to Film Another Season?!?

by Danny Gallagher, posted Apr 7th 2010 8:00PM
The Teutels from Once again, people, I'm forced to ask the question: what the hell is going on here?!? Did up become down? Has black become white? Did Ken Jennings lose his 'Jeopardy!' winning streak record to Karl Pilkington?

TLC canceled the long-running bike building reality show 'American Chopper' back in February, but new reports have surfaced they are bringing the show back, or at least part of its principal cast, for another run.

Has anyone at TLC, which once stood for "The Learning Channel," learned about the concept of cognitive dissonance? Maybe they could learn about it by watching some of their pre-'Jon and Kate' programming, back when you could actually learn something from watching TLC other than how to exploit extremely fertile women for money and/or fame.

I'll admit it. When the 'American Chopper' first hit the airwaves on the Discovery Channel, I sat down and watched it with a fair amount of regularity. Even though it took the tone of your typical expletive beeping, petty-fight-having reality show, it still spent a fair amount of time taking its audience through the design and construction of some very cool custom choppers from start to finish. I probably never would have become a wannabe gearhead without the likes of high-octane reality shows like 'Top Gear,' 'The Great Biker Build Off' with the late Indian Larry and 'American Chopper.'

As the show dragged on, it became less of a show that celebrated the cult and camaraderie that bike building creates and more of a sub-average reality show. In fact, the explosive and sometimes volatile personalities of the Teutel family overshadowed just about everything that made their lives so cool to watch. By the time TLC picked it up, it had become a full-fledged reality series that only served to further divide and deride its stars until a full-on, chair flinging, drywall punching fit between father and son sealed its doom.

The show won't be a complete carbon copy of its former self since the show will focus on Paul Sr. and Paul Jr.'s two separate shops. Since it's back on TLC, a network that makes more seedy cookie-cutter entertainment than a naughty bakery, it's bound to be more of the same.

I hope TLC hasn't invested a whole lot in the series. The drywall repairs alone could send them spiraling into bankruptcy.

jarc047

Well what is it ???? Is it over or not as of 10/10/2011

October 10 2011 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Surber

Well glad it got moved off TLC, seems to be some non TLC going on for TLC. I had beaten my American Chopper addiction about season 3. Then one day as I was watching Bear climb a glacier or eat a slug or something, a commercial came on, and before I knew it I had to know why Senior(El Flabbo) fired Junior. And then the addiction was on, it got so bad this year I had to use my sling adapter so I could watch the episode live at lunch. Working nights at DISH Network can affect your TV viewing habits. I hope they don't make another season, but the addictive side of my head wants another one.

February 09 2011 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johngaltx

I stopped watching way back when they showed the producer telling Sr. that Jr. said something nasty about him, then telling Jr. that Sr. something nasty about HIM and then sending them into the same room and filming it while he sat behind a glass partition and watched them go at it laughing at them.

April 08 2010 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

I watched the first two seasons and then lost interest. I think its run it's course.

April 08 2010 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SHANNON

We quit watching when Vinnie left. He was the heart of the show...

April 08 2010 at 7:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris

Season 1 and 2 are the best definitely. Thats it.

Who cares about TLC.

April 07 2010 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

The show's first and second seasons were the only thing worth watching. After that it became as you have said a reality show, and it spiraled into the dive it has become.

Haven't watched it since the beginning of the third season and don't plan to start now.

April 07 2010 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply