November 22, 2014

Three Reasons Why 'Lost' is the Greatest Show You'll Never Watch on DVD

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 7th 2010 4:08PM
Lost DVDLast night's episode of 'Lost' was excellent, wasn't it? For the first time this season it seems like we can finally see where the show is headed. The pieces are finally coming together.

We don't know yet who is going to live or die (or even if "live" or "die" mean the same thing in this 'Lost' world) or what it ultimately all means, but last night was certainly a true turning point. Of course, the writers could still throw us a curve and we could find out that alternate-reality Desmond is actually a robot from the future obsessed with cheddar cheese, but it looks like the final handful of episodes will give us a real conclusion.

It's one of the greatest shows in TV history, and I'm probably never going to watch it on DVD.

Why?

1. It's too complex. This isn't a negative thing or an insult. I love that it's complex. But as for watching the show again on DVD, I don't know if that complexity will translate well. Sure, you could appreciate the acting in a particular episode, but you would actually have to watch several episodes that happened before that episode and maybe a few episodes after that episode to truly feel the full force of what the episode means.

To watch the show again on DVD you would have to actually commit to watching the entire series again, or at the very least an entire season. If that's something you can do, that's great. But it's not like other shows where you can watch an episode here and an episode there. Again, this isn't an insult. In fact, it speaks to the storytelling prowess of the writers more than anything else.

2. It has 70 characters and twelve timelines. I've seen every episode of 'Lost' and I truly love it, but even I get confused sometimes. What year are they in again? 2004? 1977? The 1950s? Who is that character again? How does that character fit into the series as a whole? Hey, is that the same guy who tried to kill the Oceanic castaways in season one? Was this person from 2004 on the island in the 50s? What does that book mean? Does that prop in the background have any significance? Did they explain that part already?

It can be a head-scratching (albeit a fun head-scratching) experience, and it's almost as if we have to say to ourselves, "wow, what a terrific story this show has weaved. Let's experience it once and then put it on the shelf."

3. If I'm reminded of the details, it might lose its power. I don't want to start watching the show from the beginning again and realize that plot developments and explanations that we got the final two seasons don't make ANY sense whatsoever. And I'm sure that with a show this complex that would be the case.

It's one of the reasons I don't want to go back to episodes in season one or season three when I have a question in this last season about a plot twist or an explanation the writers have given us. I'm just going to accept it, and if I revisit the show on DVD that acceptance might be in danger.

Note: this doesn't mean that I'm not going to buy the 'Lost' DVDs. In fact, I'll probably buy the inevitable 'Lost' Complete Series Super Mega-Set with Action Figures and Free Dharma Food when it comes out. I might not watch it but I certainly want to own it.

Frances

My husband and I have been re-watching season 1 while season 6 has been airing and creepily enough, some of the things they set-up in season one echo in season 6.
Two examples come to mind: 1)Jack's seat number on the plan is 23A- and his number on the list is 23. 2) When they find the bodies in the caves, Jack pulls a pouch off of one of the bodies and inside are two rocks- one light, one dark. So, we don't yet know what they mean with 4 episodes to go, bu

April 27 2010 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
weebles

The details and the complexity of LOST are the very reason to aquire the DVDs. It is so full of information, historical, scientific, philosophical, religious mythology, the breadth of human nature regarding good and evil, etc., that it begs to be watched many, many times for the full flavor to take hold.

April 12 2010 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cello

I don't agree.
I will buy the full collection to show it to my kids if and when I will ever have any.

I can't imagine what TV will be like in say 15 years, but I have a feeling that we will not have shows like Lost, 24, The Sopranos if the current trend is benefiting the creation of procedural and reality shows..

Sure my kid might say "What kind of crap is that?" but it's sure worth a try :)

April 09 2010 at 6:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
breliedtke

I am also going to agree with you, Bob. I have watched and re-watched many episodes on DVD already, but that was in order to catch up or to get ready for the next imminent season. However, once the series is all said and done I don't think I will re-watch too many episodes, if any. I feel like it has been an awesome journey and I will never forget the feelings I have had while watching certain episodes. I watched Seasons 1 and 2 back to back within a few weeks and it was incredible. Just thinking about being able to sit down and log a few more episodes later on made my days worthwhile. But, when I try to go back to previous seasons to watch one episode, usually a pivotal one, it never fulfills me like it once did. Sure, it is still enjoyable but I would probably rather be watching something else I haven't seen yet. Maybe in many years I can start the series over but for the near future I do not see myself watching LOST after the finale in May.

April 08 2010 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ScottR

Gilligan's Island is too complex for you, Bob.

April 08 2010 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ScottR's comment
Bob Sassone

Nah, I understood Gilligan's Island. Now I Dream of Jeannie? THAT was complex.

April 08 2010 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C.A.

I agree with you Bob! Power to the non-dvd watchers! Of course I'm just trolling because I haven't watched Lost at all and I don't have any plans to change that. I love hearing people talk about smoke monsters, polar bears and frozen donkey carts.

April 08 2010 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan H

The only problem I have with this is the headline "Three Reasons Why 'Lost' is the Greatest Show You'll Never Watch on DVD".

I'll damn sure be watching on DVD. You're entitled to not watch it, but whoever put the headline on that blog has an air pompousness about them. The blog itself is just opinion, and you're entitled to it.

But the headline should have been honest: "Three Reasons Why 'Lost' is the Greatest Show I'll Never Watch on DVD" Of course, half the people who stopped to read the blog then would not have stopped, but at least it would have been genuine.

April 08 2010 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dogen

you are completely wrong about this. so many individual episodes stand on their own, and yet the entire series has continuity as well. you might want to rewrite what you wrote and saying 'it's too complex' is just a cop-out.

April 08 2010 at 1:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

Totally disagree. I bought Seasons 1-5 on Bluray as Amazon's Deal of the Day. I have already started rewatching (as I'm watching the current season!) and I will definitely watch this series again. As far as im concerned this show is one of the best shows in modern television history.

April 07 2010 at 11:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cordy

I completely disagree with you, but I am one of those people who buys the dvds to wtach in order and to expose as many people to them as possible.

But for an example of how this show holds up...

I watched 'flashes before your eyes' today, and Deesmond's friend says to him something like "Time travel isn't real, but true love can be just as enlightening."

You're telling me that doesn't hold up? That is almost what the show said last night

April 07 2010 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cordy's comment
Cordy

And this is coming from someone who rewatches every season before the new one starts every year

April 07 2010 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply