April 23, 2014

'V' - 'Pound of Flesh' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 7th 2010 5:54AM
V, Pound of Flesh
(S01E06) "It's time we told him the truth about who he really is." - Joe to Erica, about Tyler

Well, who is he?! Is he supposed to be some sort of warrior a la John Connor, who'll lead the resistance against the aliens? I have no idea, but can't wait to find out. Based on the fact that Tyler seems enamored with the Visitors, it's hard to imagine him as a leader of the resistance. The dynamics will have to change with Lisa; Erica's plan to hide Tyler away at his dad's isn't working.

I've been thinking about where I'd fall in the alien vs. humans war, and I'd definitely be a member of the Fifth Column -- organizing meetings, gathering weapons, training people to fight ... I have no tolerance for any sort of manipulation, and doubt that I'd fall prey to Anna's bliss. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

For me, that was one of this week's shockers -- learning that there's more to Tyler than it seems on the surface. Not as big a shocker as last week's scene of Anna mating and showing off those impressive teeth, but still a shocker.

Anna's plan to keep wedging her way into the hearts of humans seems a little like the politics we have to deal with every day. Yeah, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but no matter which side of the aisle you fall on, the government wants to get their hooks into us and make us believe that all is well and we should go along with whatever diabolical plan! they have in store for us. Ok, yeah, totally reading too much into it, but there's some similarities there, don't you think?

Anyway, now Anna's got this "live aboard program" to further cast her spell over the humans and put them off their guard. She's even cool as a cucumber about the "John May Lives" message that Fifth Column hacked into her "live aboard" message. As she puts it, the John May message will give Fifth Column the confidence to come out of hiding so she can crush them like a glass pebble.

But that's not gonna happen, especially with Fifth Column members living and working aboard the ship. Who thinks that Georgie will be saved by that fact? Now that Ryan knows there's a Fifth Column faction on the ship, I'm sure he'll work that angle to help save Georgie.

And speaking of Ryan, don't you think it's about time he came clean to Val about the fact that she's baking an alien bun in that oven? How long can he keep spiking her tea with phosphorous before the truth has to come out? That thing's growing like a weed in there, and the fake ultrasounds are only going to go so far before she knows something's amiss. .

I like what's brewing between Chad and Jack. If Jack can get it through Chad's head that things aren't what they seem, then Chad's the perfect vehicle to shuttle information back from the Visitors. And like Jack said, Chad wouldn't have come to see him if he didn't have a hunch that something was wrong.

What did you guys think about this episode? Also wanted to mention that it was directed by Jonathan Frakes, who knows a thing or two about aliens.

Prhime

doubt he is john conner as time travel is one thing that wasn't implied / exhibited (if that is the angle you are going with)

April 12 2010 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fritzkreig

"especially with Fifth Column members living and working aboard the ship. Who thinks that Georgie will be saved by that fact?"

I may be showing my age a little, but remember, in the original mini-series, Mike Donovan (Mark Singer) was captured and tortured, and was eventually saved by the fifth column member Martin. This show may either copy this or maybe to catch some off guard, they may actually let Georgie get killed.

April 09 2010 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

Can someone refresh my memory on who is John May and why was that message important?

April 08 2010 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

My only eyebrow-raiser was the risk/benefit factor with that message embedment. All that risk and danger for "John May lives?" I would think considering the perils involved they could have delivered a little more problems for the V. Of course, Brian had another reason to go to the ship (the phosphorous), but the official mission was that message. They needed to serve harder than that considering the stakes involved.

April 07 2010 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

The funny thing about this show is that it is recycling Vancouver SciFi stars like typical SyFy Channel shows ... I mean it has Alan Tudyk and Morena Baccarin from FireFly and StarGate ... Rekha Sharma from Battlestar Galactica ... Elizabeth Mitchell from Lost ... Nicholas Lea from the X-Files ... and now Lexa Doig from Andromeda

April 07 2010 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gordon Werner's comment
j0phus

Was Andromeda a good show? I don't know anything about it. Somehow it has escaped me, like Arrested Development. I only started watching tv a few years ago.

April 08 2010 at 4:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

Just watched it - My guess - Tyler is john may's son

April 07 2010 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

I didn't see the director credit - sweet - I love Jonathan Frakes!! Thanks for the FYI!

Great episode.

April 07 2010 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dutchy

Maybe they go "Glee" with the Ryan/Val story. Where Ryan will find another pregnant girl who delivers at almost the same time, so he can swap the baby.

Anyway, I like how they are going with 'V'. Just reveal the big plot twist from the original in the first episodes (we all know they are reptiles from the first second on, since it is a remake) and build another intruiging story on top of that.

April 07 2010 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ron

What are the V eating on the mother ship ? Humans ?

April 07 2010 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johnzo

does it bother anyone that it feels like every mother ship scene (which is a lot) is shot on a green screen?

April 07 2010 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply