'American Idol' - 'Top 9 Results Show' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 8th 2010 3:05AM
American Idol 2010 - Top 9 Results Show
Ryan Seacrest started off the show with "Prepare yourself for a surprise or two," and we definitely got that. Based on your comments on my 'Who Will Win 'American Idol'? post a few days ago, it's really anyone's game at this point. And I mean, anyone, from the shoe-ins like Crystal Bowersox and Siobhan Magnus to the dark horses like Tim Urban and Andrew Garcia. After this week's performance show, Kona thinks Casey James also falls into that dark horse category, and I agree.

After a message about Idol Gives Back, a group medley of Lennon/McCartney tunes, and a Ford commercial (kaleidoscope fun!), we got to the results.

The girls are called to the center of the stage, with these results:

Siobhan Magnus: SAFE
Crystal Bowersox: SAFE
Katie Stevens: SAFE

I'm really glad none of these fell into the "surprise" category. All three deserve to stay, although I wouldn't be surprised if either Siobhan or Crystal was voted off in the coming weeks. That's a pretty big statement to make, but these two have been front-runners from the start, and some of the other contestants are hot on their heels, including Katie. No one should be resting on their laurels at this point, and none of them are.

Next up was a performance by Jason Derulo, who sang 'Whatcha Say' and 'In My Head.' I recognized the first song, but only because it plays every eight minutes on my 12-year-old daughter's favorite radio station. The performance was ok -- probably lip-synced -- but there seemed to be more dance moves than singing. We also learned that Kara DioGuardi signed Derulo. So I guess 'American Idol' is in the business of marketing the judge's singers. Yeah, I'm a wet blanket.

Then we had a performance by David Archuleta singing 'Imagine,' which he sang during his time on the show. The song was nice, but mostly what I noticed is how much he's grown since the last time he was on the 'Idol' stage. They grow up so fast ... sniff ...

On to more results. Ryan separated the remaining six guys into two groups, with these results:

Lee DeWyze: SAFE
Casey James: SAFE
Tim Urban: SAFE

BOTTOM THREE:
Michael Lynche
Andrew Garcia
Aaron Kelly

We immediately learn that Aaron is safe, leaving either Andrew or Big Mike to sing for their life in front of the judges. But first, a performance by Rihanna, who arrives on stage in a skin-tight leather outfit. I'm going to bring out the wet blanket again, because I didn't really think much of her performance. I usually love her voice, but there was too much theatrics going on and not enough singing. So there.

Then comes the big surprise of the night: Andrew is safe, and Big Mike will have to sing for his life! What's funny -- and not in a ha-ha way -- is that Tim Urban continues to avoid the axe. I'm sure he's just as shocked as anyone, and I really do think there's a chance he could go all the way. Still, seeing Mike and Andrew standing there, I thought for sure Andrew would be going home.

The judges have the ability to save just one singer; will Mike be the one? After his "save me" performance, we learn that it's a yes. "We have decided ... we're gonna see you next week," said Simon. Thunderous applause, and some shots of Mike's teary wife.

That's great, because I would have hated to see Mike leave the competition so soon. The downside is that we'll lose TWO people next week, and as I understand it, there are no saves left.

What did you think of the results? Were you surprised to learn that Mike got the least number of votes? Do you think the judges should have saved him? And how long do you think Tim will last in the competition?

lynne

lee belongs just as much as mike and casey.

April 12 2010 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marye

adam is only still on cuz he has the hispanic vote and katie uses the granmother card every chance she gets..she is too young and ohhhhhhhhhhh so annoyin with that lil girl act..don't believe it for a minute...casey/big mike for the guys crystal/siobhan for the girls..the rest is just hype..can'e stand to even watch the show any more so i dvr it so i can fast forward..

April 12 2010 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lynne

i soo want to hear Crystal sing "Love can build a bridge" by Wynona Judd (or The Judds-whatever). BEAUTIFUL song-and perfect for her personality.

April 08 2010 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Oh, and... Yes. Tim is this season's Sanjaya. Without question. The fact that he's still there is a mystery to me, and everybody who appreciates real talent. Like Sanjaya, Tim is there because of his looks, his smile, his haircut and his teen-fan-mag appeal to 12 year old girls.

April 08 2010 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Rhianna's song was completely forgettable, as was Jason Derulo, or whatever his name is. Aside from that, I have to say this: It's SOOOOO *$#&ing ridiculous that American Idol's "Results" show, which is essentially 3 minutes of results and 57 minutes of filler, commercials, and crap, can't finish on time.

April 08 2010 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna

I am so sick of the save that I am glad its been used and wont be spoken about again. They could only use it until they were down to 5 contestants anyway, but that was still 3 more weeks of it!

I thought I was leaving idol because Simon was leaving. And because of the poor chemistry between judges that would be left and the obvious inability to select contestants based on this latest crop.

The overriding reason is Ryan Seacrest. He has been out of control this season with his comments and swagger. I just fast forward through his parts now anyway. And the audience with their boos and shouting...it's become such a zoo.

I am almost hoping that Mike and Crystal don't make it to the finals so we can finally put this show to rest.

April 08 2010 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Joanna's comment
Leroy

I agree about Ryan. He's been a total dick this year. In previous years the conflict between him and Simon has been funny and seemed like a game they were playing with each other. This year it's just obnoxious and uncomfortable.

Simon was the only reason this show became a hit its first year. Ryan would still be a nobody if it weren't for Simon. The least he can do is accord Simon the same respect he gives the other judges.

April 08 2010 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I actually enjoy Ryan sticking it to Simon. Simon's ego is bigger than Montana, and he thinks he can be a venomous b*tch without any repurcussions. Ryan calls him out on it, and I think that's fantastic. If I were a contestant (or even Ryan), I think I'd seize the chance to tell Simon to go **** himself, just for the entertainment value.

April 08 2010 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mitch

Not sure why most everyone is complaining about Tim when Aaron and Katie cannot sing a lick and Andrew is not much better. I agree that Mike will not get the teeny bopper vote but will end up having a much bigger and better career than most everyone else, although that Crystal sure can sing and Lee if he ever gets more comfortable will be amazing.

April 08 2010 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slc

Love the tone in Aaron's voice...he also puts a lot of emotion in his performances unlike Tim who has a great voice but still needs to learn how to connect.
Two things are bothering me this year..one is that stupid game that Kara plays with her touchy, feely thing with Simon is so obnoxious and why does Crystal Bowersox always look like she's on drugs?

April 08 2010 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
greatone

I am glad A.I. use the vote on Big Mike. I liked his last performance and thought he did a good job. The only judge that didn't like Big Mike last performance was Simon. Big Mike have been consistent throughout the entire competition but I guess that don't matter to fans. Tim and Katie had 1 ok performance in the past 3-4 weeks and neither one was placed in the bottom 3.

Next week I think either Crystal, Siobhan, Casey, or Lee will go home. The way this competition is turning out I wouldn't be shocked if Tim made it to the top 5.

April 08 2010 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

As I have said on here before I think Tim is a better singer than a few others that are currently singing. I don't see him going far but how does Andrew keep sticking around. He should have been gone weeks ago.

Before last nights vote, I thought they would use the Save on 5 people. Big Mike, Lee, Casey, Siobhan and Crystal. It's obvious Mike's fan base is very fluid. He could be gone next week. Andrew, Aaron and Tim have strong fan bases but 2 people go next week and fan bases are only strong so far.

April 08 2010 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply