August 1, 2014

'Bones' - 'The Parts in the Sum of the Whole' Recap

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Apr 8th 2010 10:02PM
Bones
(S05E16) "What you call a mistake, Sweets calls an interpretation." - Booth to Brennan

Thanks to the mistake Sweets made in his book, we were treated to a flashback with backstory for our favorite squints and co., including Zack, as well as finally getting to see Booth and Brennan's first case. Of course, these reveals were all overshadowed by the real question of the week: Do Booth and Brennan really truly love each other?

How interesting was it to see Brennan and Booth's first encounter and see how they worked together on that very first case. The flashbacks scenes showed us how Brennan and Booth were six years ago and it helped highlight how much they have changed since then.

Booth went from "a young and rebellious FBI agent," as FOX describes him in their official episode description, who had a gambling problem to a more grounded and ex-gambler agent. As for Brennan, she grew a human bone over the years.

I always thought Booth and Brennan's first encounter was supposed to have been terrible so I never expected them to kiss under the rain and then almost hook up in the past! WTF? is what I said to my TV when I watched the episode, especially since Brennan and Booth didn't understand each other back then as much as they do now. No matter my reaction, this showed that right from the start, the duo was more than just colleagues.

Back in the present, Sweets pushes Brennan and Booth to make a decision about their relationship. Booth is ready to gamble and take a chance on love. Brennan is not that inclined saying that he needs to be protected from her and that she can't change. I would have loved to see them hook up in the present as it would have offered the show a new storyline to explore.

However, I understand why the writers decided to have them remain colleagues and friends as the sexual tension will remain and viewers will come back in the hope to see if the duo will eventually take the leap. For sure, both of them, especially Booth since he told Brennan he wanted to find someone who would love him, will resume dating. What's your take on the relationship? Are you happy with the decision of having Brennan and Booth go their separate ways romantically?

Other tidbits of interest:
  • Cam was the one who referred Brennan to Booth! So without Cam, the team would have never come together.
  • Booth thought the flesh contained all the good evidence. This case was definitely an eye opener for him and now he uses the "bones" in most (if not all) of his cases.
  • Hodgins was anti-social six years ago (he even was in an anger issue management program) and didn't get along with Zack at all!!! Talk about a surprise, especially since they were the best buddies in the world before Zack was arrested. How cool was it to see Zack and Hodgins do their first of many experiments together! Thanks to that experiment, Hodgins and Zack started to bond which surely helped Hodgins become more friendly. Hodgins even flirted with Angela but she wasn't interested at that point.
  • Zack telling Booth he was stupid was priceless.
  • Booth and Brennan's first case is the reason why Angela joined the team. Before that, she made drawings of people. Talk about a funny murder scene recreation she did! She used very low tech items (pen and paper) to recreate the scene when now she has a 3D computerized display!
  • The "Bones" nickname was first said by Booth during the first case.
  • Sadly, no explanation as to how "The King of the Lab" expression came to be.

That first case was quite interesting as it helped put in place the team -- except for Cam and Sweets who joined later -- and helped us better understand the characters. The case also helped put relationships in place: Hodgins & Zack, Angela & Brennan (they knew each other for a month but this case surely solidified their friendship), Booth and Brennan. Personally, I've really enjoyed this episode, the flashbacks and even the ending.

Share your thoughts about this milestone episode in the comments section below.

lovebones

I loved this episode sooo much, but the last scene was really sad....WHY CAN'T THEY BE TOGETHER?? It's not work, seeing as Angela and Hodgins are together, and Brennan's had boyfriends before....They'd better get together soon, coz im pretty sure thats what the majority of the audiences are hanging out for.

July 05 2010 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lovebones's comment
Beckthter

I agree with everyone who found this disappointing. THIS is the admission I was waiting for all these years, and that's how it ends??? I was heartbroken, I bawled my eyes out, and felt that I was rejected right along with Booth. Why can't they just be together? They wouldn't lose any audience members, that's what most of us watch it for!! The ending was unnecessarily cruel, they should think of new plot devices to keep us watching if dangling Bones & Booth's possible love in front of out faces is all they have left. So sad & angry right now... :(

January 28 2011 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bb

I want to trust the writers with the Angela/Hodgens, Booth/Brennan storylines, but the writers' strike season has made me very distrustful.

They wrapped up the evil stalker Pam storyline too fast, Booth was miraculously fine and attending his own funeral too fast, the random man Booth was trying to get from the "fake funeral" was never really explained (it could have been an episode all its own!), the Gormogon storyline was wrapped up too fast and too terribly (it was a random nobody whom we never got to even hear speak and it was over!), they ruined Zach's character (sorry, I don't buy that he believed some psychopath's logic).....I mean, that whole mess of a season was AWFUL.

I understand the writers's strike messed with things, but choose ONE of those main storylines to finish out in a good way, and save the others for subsequent seasons. I would have liked to see more interactions with the creepy Pam....or a more fulfilling ending with Gormogon, maybe get to "meet" him and learn more about what made him tick...or something! I just still feel cheated about that season....so it makes me concerned about my fav couples! (Also, I HATED the way Angela and Hodgens broke up...after going through the hoops they did to be together, find her husband, etc, they just decided they didn't trust each other?!)

Also, was not a big fan of the tease they gave with a Booth/Brennan kiss, only for her to reject him. I think they should have either had them go for it, or not at all. Taking us almost to that point and then pulling back is terribly cruel, especially to Booth. Now EVERYONE knows his feelings and that he has been rejected. How awkward would that make a workplace?! Yikes!

I am still trying to hold out hope that my fav characters will get together, Zack will somehow be magically healed and reunited with the cast, and everything will work out...but I'm just not sure!!

April 27 2010 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tommyv

bugkiller, sorry my brain hasn't kicked in yet, but what does your pedantic screed have to do w/ BSG? you need to double your mood adjuster dosage.

April 16 2010 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tlh

The episode needed to END with Sweets' challenge for one of them to take it to the next level.

The final scene where Booth 'gambled' gave too definitive an end to the relationship tension. It was also predictable.

I don't feel the need to come back and watch for another season. In point of fact I feel disappointed and like Bones & Booth truly have moved beyond their moment to make things work. (It's one of those things I really hate about soap opera style relationships - that need to release tension and then try to build it up again using the same tricks as before.)

I would rather things had been left open-ended and perhaps later seen Bones confess her fear (not necessarily to Booth), and then overcome it. I prefer watching relationships that move forward, not ones that fall backward and then repeat themselves.

April 12 2010 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kitty

I absolutely hated the ending of this episode as much as I loved the beginning. There were parts I was willing to overlook for the moment, like some of the previous comments, because I was happy just to see how it began. But then the discontinuities became too much, and it spiraled into an ending that was unnecessarily painful. I think the show would not come to a screeching halt if they were allowed some happiness, and I for one would like more than just a minute or two of them together in the big finale. I also think that if, by the end of this season, there is still nothing, I'm done with Bones. The frustration I get overwhelms the enjoyment from keeping up with this show >.

April 12 2010 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jess

I was really disappointed too. This really screwed up the characters. Bones doesn't lie and yet she did when she said she can't change. As an objective scientist she would be able to see that from the pilot to now, she really has changed so that was very uncharacteristic. Along with that, she views relationships as a biological need, so why not Booth? Also, I'm sorry but Brennan was complaining about Hogins being unpleasant and yet she let Zach rip him a new hole...I don't think so, as a grad student, he would not be able to do that which just brings us to the point that Hogins comments that are straight to the point would not bug her no matter the tone...she only cares about the words and not necessarily the emotions or inflections associated with them. I didn't think this was a great episode and it really went against a lot of the developments the characters have made. Watched and deleted from tivo, not worth watching again. :(

April 09 2010 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BugKiller

It's amazing how some of y'all really don't get it.

It's the Galactica Series Finale ALL OVER AGAIN.

So, again, I must ask, "What frakking show do y'all think you've been watching???"

Look... Booth loves Brennan, and Brennan loves Booth, and they both know the other one loves them.

Yes, Brennan has had relationships before, but never felt love, as she feels (and is so afraid of) for Booth. Not even with Sully.

Love frightens Brennan. Why? Psychology. She was abandoned by the three people she loved the most, forced into foster care, where she was abused and unloved.

So now, she associates love with pain and hurt and abuse, and hides behind her extreme rationality and science.

Her complete disregard for psychology, when she has so many issues and hang-ups that can be explored and worked on with a good psychologist (like Sweets), is yet another of her many safety mechanisms that she has insinuated into her life to protect her from love.

She is so afraid of love, she denies love as a tangible and real thing, explaining as she often does, that love is nothing more than brain chemistry and pheromonal attraction.

She's come far, but she loves Booth so much that she will A) never admit it B) never act on it for fear that something, anything, bad will happen because of it.

So, it's the ultimate of ironies: Brennan, who's the most hyper-rational person ever, is also the most irrational.

Come on people, use your frakking brains and really understand what you're watching.

April 09 2010 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to BugKiller's comment
GL

Well said. Thanks.

April 10 2010 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

Excellent episode, but heartbreaking especially after I JUST finished 1-3 seasons of Buffy :(. I really miss Zach. Great job by cast, crew, writers, and David did a great job directing. I'm looking forward to what comes next.

April 09 2010 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Pamela's comment
kitty

Pamela, I feel for you, especially if you finished season 3 of buffy (very painful for all parties), and get your heart broken again by seeing david boreanaz slashed down once more.

April 12 2010 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

Sigh...

Ok I get the "can't have a relationship culmination without ending the show as it is present.".
I even agree with it, but feel it should be going in a different direction, the current track is doomed to failure.

I think that the show's acting on this ep was stilted and unnatural , not nearly as cohesive as it usually is. (yes I know they were trying to show what it was like before they worked off each other so well, but still it should have that ease of acting that you would believe that the actor had never met or worked with the other, and was learning as he/she went. just didn't happen. looked like a highschool play to me.)

Where's the original guy who was head of the Smith's archeology labs? He was an important character in the beginning and should have been at least hinted at if he couldn't be signed to work with them.

Great that Cam is the one who brought the group together, but she was an "unknown" to Brennan and the team when she first showed up on the show. This makes her a known and therefore is a chink in the show's armour . At least the feeling that Booth "knew knew" Cam was still there in the way he interacted with her.

YaY Zak! I do so miss him. But his and Hodgin's debate over Angela was something that peppered the whole first season's storylines. It just didn't jell when Zak met and worked with her. The puppylove wasn't there , not even the spark of it. There was almost a knowing about sex and the opposite sex attitude with Zak that was never there to the end when he blew up the lab. He was always an innocent.

Hodgins's conspiracy theorist attitude and remarks were noticeably missing. He has been a conspiracy theorist from day one, and it wasn't there. Anger management issue now a substitute. I don't buy it.
Where was the "king of the lab" beginning? It should have been there!!! It's classic Hodgins/Zak interaction!

Angela worked ok. I still think there was something missing there that made her character more rounded that should have been there from the beginning.

Booth's rebelliousness has always been hinted at from the beginning of the show. Brennan's comments on it early on and throughout the years has suggested it's an integral part of his character not something she insinuated . To be true to his character he should have already been wearing red socks, and when bones called him "shoes" it should have been included in the comment, or could have been an alternate nickname.."sox"... "well you wear contrasting socks to your conservative costume"

All in all, I was dissapointed for the most part in this 100th episode. It left more questions than answers.

April 09 2010 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to wulfn1's comment
Gina

She broke his heart. I wanted to cry when he started crying. Seeing him wipe away tears was brutal. She better figure it out soon or she will be throwing away a great love. He will never leave her if she tells him she loves him (her great fear)! She needs to figure that out fast before he finds someone else. They are perfect for each other. Him guts and instinct her facts and reason (to quote a maudlin line) they complete each other.

April 09 2010 at 9:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply