October 25, 2014

Starz 'Spartacus' Gaining In Popularity

by Brad Trechak, posted Apr 8th 2010 10:35AM
Spartacus: Blood and SandWe keep hearing about original series from paid channels like HBO or Showtime getting major kudos and ratings, but we never hear much about the original series from Starz, until now. Their series 'Spartacus: Blood and Sand' has been picking up some serious numbers in terms of viewers since its premiere on January 22nd of this year.

The show has gotten lukewarm reviews from the critics. Perhaps it's the gladiatorial combat that draws in the viewers. Or perhaps it's the proliferation of sex in the series (including some nudity on the part of former 'Battlestar Galactica' cylon/'Xena: Warrior Princess,' Lucy Lawless). Or perhaps people are confusing it with the movie 'Spartacus' that starred Kirk Douglas and was directed by Stanley Kubrick.

Starz could very well become the Cinemax of scripted programming, relying on more adult original scripted programming with lots of sex and violence in order to be a player in the game along with HBO and Showtime. Time will tell.

Margaret

Very well written! I am always stunned after an episode. I pride myself at figuring out what will happen before it happens and I can never guess correctly on this show. They surprise me every time. I'm excited to see the final episode but bummed it's the final one!!

April 16 2010 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

At first, I was lukewarm to it, but it quickly grew on me.

Definitely must see TV...it's a tad cheesy at time, but really draws you in....very, very entertaining! The actors are really into it, which makes it a bunch of fun!

April 14 2010 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tmarr91

great show and wish a speedy recovery to star Andy Whitfield

April 12 2010 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fredyb

Absolutley the best show on TV right now bar none.

April 10 2010 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIKE ZVIRBLIS

WE LOVE IT!

April 10 2010 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
seletts

Phenomenal show - last night's episode was a great example... great acting, unpredictable and shocking plot twists, drama, sex, violence, hot bods, all add up to a potent mix. For those who complain about the sex and violence, I have a great suggestion - don't watch. I'm so bummed that there is only one episode left in this season. Ramping up for The Tudors though. Then Dexter, then back to season two of Spartacus. Rome and 300 were too short for me, so Spartacus fills my long-term needs. And to think, he hasn't even gotten to Rome yet!! Just imagine....

April 10 2010 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Well its ok.. Every secound there is blood splattering everywere. And it looks like the womem just came from the salon, with highlights and curls in there hair and makeup, so clean for a dirty world. And alot of Blond's and Redhead's for being in the time and age in Rome!!! I would watch it more it there were more of a story line and not every scene with a bloody end!

April 10 2010 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Paul's comment
seletts

Are you kidding me? Not enough story line? You must have only watched an episode or two. This series is packed with drama, multiple twisting story-lines, character development. You didn't seriously predict Olethia murdering Cassius' cousin did you? And the aftermath? Her manipulation of the boy to get Spartacus to kill Varo? Please. If you don't like the violence, turn it off. Otherwise, quit complaining.

April 10 2010 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

If you actually watched the show, it clearly shows that Lucy Lawless's character is wearing wigs.

April 10 2010 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
booger

A great guilty pleasure and a lot more compelling than some of the snoozefests that the "critics" anoint. It gets better as it moves along. Give me a little action any day. If I want to nod off, I'll go read Jane Austen. And anyone notice that we're not far from becoming the Romans?

April 10 2010 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tena

Kirk Douglas was the only Spartacus, and I just can't see anyone else playing that part. The original Spartacus was made in a time when computerized special effects didn't exist, and didn't need to. The acting and settings stood on their own merit. Those days are long gone. I think computerized special effects look too unreal.

April 10 2010 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I love Lucy Lawless, always have and wished they'd gotten her to play Wonder Woman when she was younger. But Spartacus is just a pale, soap opera version of HBO's Rome. Still, if it entertains you, enjoy it.

April 10 2010 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Heather's comment
seletts

The problem with Rome was that it only lasted two seasons. Broke my heart. And I disagree about the pale comparison... maybe in the first 5 episodes Spartacus didn't measure up, but the last 5? Its been on fire!

April 10 2010 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply