August 29, 2014

'The Young and the Restless' Brings Andrea Evans Back to Soaps

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 8th 2010 3:00PM
andrea_evans_portrait_2000Andrea Evans has grown up on daytime television, but for most of us she'll forever be the vexing, adorable Tina Lord on 'One Life to Live.' Despite the shake up at 'One Life to Live,' Andrea's not returning to daytime on that ABC show, but she is coming back to the genre. Watch for Andrea Evans on 'The Young and the Restless.' That's right, she's returning to a show in which she starred from 1983-84, marking a return after 26 years.

According to TV Guide, Evans' visit to 'The Young and the Restless' is a one-day only affair, and that date is May 12, but wouldn't it be great if it could be more than that? There is a connection there. She's going to be playing Tawny Moore, Amber's mom. It's a role that she actually played on 'The Bold and the Beautiful,' 'The Young and the Restless'' sister show. Frankly, Amber could use her mom around. Amber needs supporting characters, even an mother with whom she squabbles.

For her one day stint on 'Y&R,' Andrea will be crossing paths with Amber's mother-in-law, Phyllis. It won't be pretty. They try to rip each others' eyes out. One more reason to keep Andrea around if you ask me; feisty ladies thrive on 'Y&R.'

It's kind of ironic that Andrea will be back on 'Y&R' as Tawny at the same time her previous 'Y&R' character, Patty Williams is a regular again. But as played now by Stacy Haiduk, Patty has been plastic-surgerized into a completely different woman -- thanks to Victor -- and she's pretending to be Dr. Emily Peterson. The funniest part of her transformation from Patty to the new-faced woman, though, is that Patty is now about a foot taller than Andrea!

Another good angle on Andrea's appearance on 'Y&R' as Tawny would be if they had her meet Paul. Imagine if Paul saw Tawny and realized that she looked like his sister Patty used to look -- before surgery. In a variation on Alfred Hitchcock's classic 'Vertigo,' Paul could find himself attracted to Tawny in some weird, romantic way.

It would be kinky weird, but this is a soap opera. Incestuous romance has cropped up before, even going way back to Tommy and Marie's love story on 'Days of Our Lives' in the mid-1960's! There was another sort of one on 'As the World Turns' in the 1980's with Josh and Meg. The point is, they could give Paul something interesting to play if Tawny -- and Andrea -- stuck around.

linda

I really liked her as the character Tina Lord Buchanan on OLTL. She was full of spirit and spunk! I wish she would stay for more then one episode on the Y&R next month. Maybe she will!

April 21 2010 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jgreenefields

I hope her stint is to take Amber home or anywhere with
her, Amber's time has run out!!!!

April 09 2010 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anna

Um, this writer needs to get their facts straight before they post something. Andrea was Passions for many years... From start to finish... as Rebeccas Hotchkiss. (The crazy mother of Gwen - and Julian's lover). Someone needs to definitely do some research before writing.

April 09 2010 at 8:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Unegawo

The grammer was even worse. Mistakes a third grader would have cought. Who proofs these things?

April 09 2010 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda Gilbert

This writer does not know her soap opera facts because she has dates wrong as well as the fact that Ms. Evans did a recent short stint on OLTL as well as several years on Passions. With respect to her playing Patty Williams, I must admit, I don't remember that period, so I cannot comment. I do remember the characters Tina and Tawney so I will be tuning in and hoping that her stint will be longer. P.S. I will follow Amber whereever she lands.

April 09 2010 at 7:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

Don't forget she was awesome on Passions!

April 08 2010 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paisley

I really liked Andrea Evans when she played the role of Tina Lord (Tina Lord Buchanan) on One Life to Live. Despite the fact her character was always in some kind of trouble, she was always so full of life and never afraid to take chances. Andrea Evans, the actress always appeared to have such a big heart when interviewed that I liked her even more.

After the first choice for my oldest daughter's name was practically black-balled by our family and we began thinking of other names, I remembered Andrea Evans as Tina on OLTL. That spirit, fearlessness, zest for life, and even the fact she managed to get in and out of trouble as she brought the character of Tina to life that I wanted to bring some of that to the daughter I was having so after giving birth and learning the exact sex of the baby (it was thought I was having twins at first then later there was only 1 heart beat and not a set so either I lost the twin or the machines were somehow picking up an echo.. we don't know & likely never will... along with the fact that the doctors were never able to get the baby to turn in order to determine sex absolutely before the birth), I decided to name her Tina.

While my daughter wasn't the free-spirited gypsy of her mother or Tina Lord, she did have some of the qualities that were practically genetic and as she got older, she became bolder at taking life by the horns and simply enjoying the ride while still managing to stay on a path that would lead her to graduation from high school with more than her diploma; she also passed the state board exam for her CNA certification, which is normally unable to get until after attending the program though she had an excellent teacher and mentor who taught her what she needed to take the state boards and pass with flying colors then have several companies working their hardest to recruit her while being more than willing to work around her college schedule.

Welcome back to the daytime television with vengeance Andrea! I'm happy to say that after seeing how beautiful Andrea is and able to watch a few episodes of OLTL from the year(s) before my daughter was born, she actually thanked me for giving her such a name. She realized the name Tina wasn't boring one bit because there was Andrea Evans making a young woman named Tina anything but boring or usual and plain. She was spectacular.

April 08 2010 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply