September 2, 2014

'Fringe' - 'Olivia. In the Lab. With the Revolver' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 9th 2010 7:21AM
Fringe; Olivia. In the Lab. With the Revolver
(S02E17) "I have to tell him. I've gotta tell Peter the truth." - Olivia to Walter

I wish I could figure out how Sam, the bowling alley guy, fits into everything. I don't trust Nina Sharp one bit and neither does Olivia, so why should she think that Nina's suggestion to talk to Sam is a good thing? He could be totally nefarious (even though I don't get that vibe from him).

His midnight game of Clue did give us the great title for this episode, though, so there's that (along with the fact that we got to see Finn Garrity from 'Damages' again). But even so, he's not being very helpful at this point. Is he from the other universe? "I'm older than I look," he told Olivia. "I barely remember my childhood. I'm also taller than I appear."

Even though it was a freak-of-the-week episode complete with festering pustules, it managed to tie a few things together. The fact that it involved the Jacksonville experiments was interesting, including the guy chasing Olivia into her apartment and trying to touch her. He could have just lunged at her in the hallway, but I never really felt he was "the bad guy." He was just in a very desperate situation; he never wanted to hurt anyone. (Although if that was the case, why didn't he just go through chemo treatments as he did in the beginning before accidentally figuring out with his sister that he could transfer the illness? Maybe his cancer was too advanced.)

We also had the connection between Walter and the doctor at the morgue, who'd taken one of his classes years earlier. Walter even encouraged him to become a doctor. And we got this great quote from Walter: "It seems you've forgotten my very first lesson, doctor. When you open your mind to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth."

Walter seems like he's trying to make up for lost time with Peter, making taffy for him and planning a trip to Atlantic City. Even with the cancer story, the transfer of energy (tantric sex!) and illness between Neil and the other Jacksonville kids, and the conversation between Agent Broyles and Nina Sharp about the unaccounted for Jacksonville kids, this episode was all about the family unit between Peter, Walter and Olivia. Here are a few exchanges in that regard:

Olivia and Walter:

Olivia: "Walter, I have to tell him. I've gotta tell Peter the truth."
Walter: "That's not what we discussed."
Olivia: "I know, and I'm sorry. But he deserves the truth about who he is."
Walter: "I'm stunned. Things have never been better between us."

Peter and Olivia:

Peter: "This is the longest I've ever stayed in one place, so this thing that we have, this little family unit we've got going ... I don't want to do anything to jeopardize it."
Olivia: "I don't either."

Olivia and Nina Sharp:

Olivia: "I know about Peter. I know the whole story."
Nina: "Does Peter know? Have you told him?"
Olivia: "No, but I'm going to."
Nina: "No, you won't ... because you haven't told him yet ... You came here to have me talk you out of it."

Olivia and Walter:

Olivia: "I think that you may be right, and that some truths may do more harm than good, and that some Pandora's Boxes are better left unopened. So I'm not gonna tell Peter."

Peter and Olivia:

Peter: "How come you didn't call Broyles?"
Olivia: "I've got you on speed dial."
Peter: "Really? I'm number one on Olivia's speed dial?"
Olivia: "Well, no, but I didn't think that Rachel or Mr. Ire from the Indian takeout would be much use ... Peter, thank you for coming."
Peter: "You're welcome."

johngaltx

Who was the "man" that visited the cancer guy in the hospital?

April 09 2010 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

Another excellent episode & Diane Kruger is a great actress. I wish her part could have been bigger.

April 09 2010 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dianne

I love this show. Bowling alley guy is truley a mystery,wonder where he is from? Could Peter already know he is not from this side?

April 09 2010 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to dianne's comment
Michael Couvillion

Perhaps bowling alley Sam is (somehow) William Bell, who is definitely older, taller and in the know.

April 09 2010 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

I think this is dead-on.

April 09 2010 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

I wasn't particularly enthralled by this episode, and to be honest the thing I couldn't stop thinking about was how completely wasted Diane Kruger was!

April 09 2010 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to DarthPaul's comment
Jeremy

I thought Diane was going to play a bit bigger part, would have been. But like the other guests was killed off early on. I love seeing actors from the Wire in random eps.

Also, laughed at the Inglorious Basterds reference. "Gorlarmi"

April 12 2010 at 1:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Billbo

Great episode..but I don't think you can really play Clue with two people can you?

April 09 2010 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Can someone tell me whatever happened to Agent Jessup, who we met in the first episode of this season? It seemed like she was going to play a big part in the season, she was introducted to Fringe division, got in with Peter and Walter, and suddenly she vanished. Did I miss something? Last I recall, she was looking at a bible for some unknown reason. Did I miss an episode where she got her head blown off or something?

Anyway, I can't wait to meet the evil Alter-Walter ("Walternate") from the other dimension. I am sure he's the ultimate bad guy, seeking revenge for the kidnapping of his child (but does he know who took his Peter?).

April 09 2010 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
Jeremy

I believe Walternate knows exactly who took his son. Once his wife told him he took his son to the lab for treatment the penny would have dropped.

April 12 2010 at 1:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wofgang

I do like the family dynamic that is evolving with Peter, Olivia and Walter. It gives context to the case of the week episodes. By the way, I spotted the Observer. When the lawyer was at the stop light the Observer was to the left of the screen crossing the street. Wearing a hat and carrying a briefcase.

April 09 2010 at 8:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

Only had one thought this episode. Boy that X-Files who pretended to be a EMT would be the happiest first responder on the scenes of each victim. The one that ate cancer I'm talking about.

April 09 2010 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply