October 22, 2014

'Project Runway' - 'The Big, Top Designers' Recap

by Michael Pascua, posted Apr 9th 2010 1:26AM
The Project Runway contestants watch a circus performance
(S07E12) The contestants have finally reached the final challenge on 'Project Runway' before the final collection. The final dress has to be a high end dress inspired by performances from Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey. They had two days and $300 to create the best dress they could.

One effect that was used really well this episode was the montage of outfits the contestants used during judging. It made you realize that you went through twelve episodes already. Granted, they skipped several of the dud outfits, but it does show that people like Seth Aaron and Mila have a strong point of view.

I was a bit taken aback by how much black and white the contestants decided to use during the challenge. While I did expect a lot of stripes and dots, I assumed everyone would go in Anthony's direction and pick a strong color and work it in. Anthony had no choice but to pick color after winning with a black and white dress last week.

Tim's critiques felt spot on, but his continued interaction with Emilio is what is concerning me. Mila and other contestants have mentioned that Emilio's head has been growing bigger and bigger. I'm really hoping for a big crash and burn.

Along with the normal crowd of judges, Cynthia Rolley is the guest judge. If you recall, Cynthia was one of the judges who thought Gordana's dress wasn't strong enough last season, causing her downfall. As the models walk down, I don't see the huge appeal of Emilio's dress. While I loved the top of the dress, the bottom reminds me of Little Miss Muffet. Seth Aaron and Mila produced dresses that looked like they followed their point of view; Seth Aaron's screamed anime, while Mila's was getting close to anime with the color choices. Jay's jacket was too circus, while the rest of the outfit could have been purchased at the mall. Anthony tends to be hit (the Heidi challenge) or miss (hardware challenge) and this dress was a bit poor.

With only five contestants left, the judges critique all of the outfits. Emilio (stunning, genius), Seth Aaron (defying gravity, poor crotch), and Mila (dramatic, too shiny), and Jay (well tailored, boring without the jacket) get generally positive reviews, while Anthony (condom, questionable fabric) got more criticism. It was obvious that Anthony was out. In a fantasy, world Maya would have stayed, gotten eliminated, and Jonathan would have been in this position instead. The judges were unsure of both Mila and Jay, forcing them into a face-off just like in season four (Rami v. Chris).

While I think that Seth Aaron and Emilio were sticklers for the final, it was because their taste level got stronger near the end. Ironically, both Jay and Mila were front runners and plateaued by the end. The four all have very different points of view, so I'm not expecting an awkward overlap of ideas. I'm really hoping that Emilio's hubris brings him down a few notches and he loses to Mila or Seth Aaron.

How do you think the final will pan out? Leave comments below.

[Find clips and episodes of 'Project Runway' at SlashControl.]

kristie s.

Emilio was too over-confident. I am glad Seth Aaron won. Mila was terrible, she should have gone home aft the challenge where they mad their own fabric. Would have linede to see Amy or Mya continue on. Congrats Seth Aaron. Thought Jonathan would have been good, too.

May 02 2010 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I think emilio will be third of the final three. I like Mila and Seth Aaron. I am sorry to see Anthony go. He was my third fave all season. But I am so tired of bringing people back and then dumping them again, like with the model last week and as they did on Biggest Loser. When you are gone, you should stay gone. Then again, it's all just a scripted TV show at the end, isn't it?

April 09 2010 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Obsessed with the word final? A bit?

Although I didn't really like Anthony's, I thought Jay continued to be awful. Michael Jackson jacket... nah, not even good enough for that... They worry about a taste level problem with Jay, yet there's been no taste to begin with, so I'm not sure what they're hoping for. His collection will be ugly and awful.

Seth Aaron's clothes are ugly, but they're also sublime. I don't really LIKE anything he does, in terms of clothes, but he brings a sensibility to the table and doesn't just make crap. While the style isn't my thing, Seth Aaron's clothes have a style and aren't goofy. Jay's? Oh please...

I too think Jonathan would've been a better 3rd.

I like a lot of what Emilio does... I just really don't much like Emilio... And while I really don't like to see him rude to Tim, it does seem that for several challenges this season Tim has given him exactly the wrong advice. I like Tim, and I like Tim's style and usually agree with him... and in some cases, like with the print, I still agreed with him.... but, the judges didn't... So I might feel that way if I were Emilio, too... However, I still don't like him, he's an ass, and I hope Seth Aaron wins.

April 09 2010 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lox

Wow. I am an Emilio fan til the end! Like him or not, his designs have been top notch! He has improved with each challenge! He listens to the judges and follows his heart... which has designer stamped all over it! He is a proven winner... hence the reason for allllllllllll of the challenge wins! If he falls at the end, it wont be because he was beaten by Mila or Seth Aaron, but by his own design imagination.

April 09 2010 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kristie s.

mila is terrible! HOW DID SHE MAKE IT THIS FAR!

April 09 2010 at 6:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply