September 30, 2014

'The Vampire Diaries' - 'Let the Right One In' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 9th 2010 5:58AM
The Vampire Diaries, Let the Right One In
(S01E17) "I'm not gonna turn someone who learned everything he knows about vampires from Netflix." - Anna to Jeremy

There's a storm brewing, not only in the weather, but also those 25 cranky vampires in the farmhouse outside of town. By the end of this episode, there were a few less vampires there, not to mention the owner of the house.

Damon and Alaric made a great badass team, even if Alaric was ticked enough about the whole incident to slug Damon after it was all over. And everything that happened helped to further my fascination with (the still not-dead?) Frederick, especially after Pearl told him they can't live by revenge and need to have better control over their emotions. We can see how well that worked for him.

And speaking of badass Damon, he almost seems like a different vampire from the one who arrived in Mystic Falls at the beginning of this season. He's still a badass, but in this episode, he used his powers for good -- to save Stefan and comfort Elena. Yes, he actually comforted her, even as he was telling her to stay away from the farmhouse, so he wouldn't be distracted by her safety as he worked to get Stefan out of the torture chamber. All this, even if his ultimate goal is that Pearl will help him find Katherine (and I'm not totally convinced that's his ultimate goal at the moment).

Vicki must have had a bigger impact on Jeremy than I recall. I know she was sort of his port in the storm after everything that happened with his parents, but I didn't think he was enamored with her enough to want to be turned so he could be with her, as Anna implied. And her reasons for why a vampire would turn a human were telling:

1. The vampires need someone to do their dirty work.
2. Revenge.
3. Boredom.
4. "You love someone so much that you'd do anything to spend all of eternity with him."

"You don't fit any of those categories yet," said Anna. I'm sure I heard her say "yet." It made me think she has a little thing for him, especially how she keeps turning up in his room.

My image of Frederick as Nikolas Cassadine from 'General Hospital' was thwarted by this: "One hundred and forty-five years left starving in a tomb, thanks to Katherine's infatuation wtih you and your brother," he told Damon. "The first few weeks, every single nerve in your body screams with fire, the kind of pain that can drive a person mad. I thought your brother might want to get a taste of that before I kill him ... you have a nice day..."

Before Damon killed the woman who owned the house, he asked if she had any family who lived there. At first, I thought it was proof of the kinder, gentler Damon I was talking about earlier. But when he walked into the house, it occurred to me that he was just asking because then someone else would have to invite him in. So if the owner of the house is dead and she doesn't have any heirs or any family who lives there, can a vampire just walk right into the house without an invitation?

The scene where Elena comforted Matt was interesting. I figured, ok, it's an old friend, and he's just learned that his sister is dead. So of course she would comfort him. But after everything that happened with Stefan -- him drinking her blood to gain his strength back, then fighting Frederick in a frenzy and turning on Elena in a rage -- maybe she just wanted a normal human to connect with, and that human was Matt.

And that was certainly a telling scene at the end, where Damon found Stefan with blood on his face. Apparently, Stefan had gotten into Damon's "two liters of soccer mom in the fridge." Now that Stefan's had a taste of human blood, he'll have that hunger.

A Few Quotes:

"Teacher by day, vampire hunter by night." - Damon to Alaric

"Are you insane?" - Damon to Elena, after he sees her inside the farmhouse

"Jeremy knows. He likes it. And he likes me." - Anna to Pearl, who then slaps her

Damon, seeing all the vampires outside the farmhouse: "How many of those vervain darts have you got left?"
Alaric: "One."
Damon: "Not gonna be enough."

"If I had a good side, not a way to get on it." Damon to Pearl, whose vamps spent the day torturing Stefan

Stefan to Elena, after he went all psycho-vamp on Frederick: "I'm sorry that you had to see it."
Elena: "I've just never ... you were like this other person."
(I'm thinking this might be the thing that turns her towards Damon.)

What did you guys think of this episode? I can't wait to see how the rest of this season plays out.

Sir Yuck-Yuck

I miss Dark Shadows

April 09 2010 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sir Yuck-Yuck's comment
ashe

The vampire diaries book was an okay series, its reading level is below high school. Thats why it benefited so much from a tv series, as there could be more to be expanded upon. Now for the True Blood books by Charlaine Harris, the sookie stackhouse series was much better in writing compared to both the vampire diaries and twilight. Now if ur looking for a really dark and sexy vampire saga, I would recommend the Anita Blake series, the 7 or so books are really good before they started meandering and going off the original focus of the series.
But back to the vampire diaries tv, it is definitely getting better. I think Stefan has a dark history before with drinking human blood, i think we will see a reversal of roles between damon and stefan, with human blood stefan becomes a darker version of damon probably, it seems to be pointing to that direction with last we saw stefan drunk with human blood.

April 10 2010 at 2:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

I miss Dark Shadows

April 09 2010 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica H.

Jojee,
I agree completely... it was becoming too Twilight-y with Stefan this season in VD (awful call letters.lol) I think its interesting how they show how hard it is going to be for him to go back to animals, and if he "almost" kills Elena will be another good (yet predictable twist)... Oh, and dead on about the vampire entering the home!

April 09 2010 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zippy_zip74467

I'm glad to see a recap because I didn't get to see it or "Supernatural." Our local station didn't broadcast the shows. They had to air the Tulsa Drillers opening baseball game in their new ball park.

April 09 2010 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

Hiya Jane.

Seems like your getting into the show a lot more than you were. Your reviews are great now! I liked your point about Elana maybe needing just a bit of normal human comfort with Matt. I hadn't picked up on that but I think your totally right.

I'm really liking the vampire named Harper. He comes across really sweet and innocent. I hope we get to see a bit of his back story and more of him in general.

The show has totally and completely left the realm of the books which I think is great because the books are only so so. Between the Twilight movies, True Blood and Vamp D's you think that it would become old but they are all different. I think it's because the three different franchises have completely different tones. eg True Blood is Dark and Twilight is more light hearted with VD somewhere in the middle.

April 09 2010 at 6:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Brent's comment
Erica H.

I am taking it that you have read the books. I was kinda sorta thinking of going and reading them (read the twilight saga). I did wanna check out True Blood too (reading wize) especially considered I am hooked on that show. I frequent like 4 tv sites to get my fill for the day, and found this recap to be incomplete. Check out this one

I must have clicked on tvsquad ten times last night waiting for the review to be up, and was kind of disappointed

April 09 2010 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna

I hate the True Blood books because this I love the show and mildly liked the Twilight movies because I loved the books. I have heard (from my daughter) that the VD books are completely different from the books so I am sticking with the show.

I love the fact that Stefan is going dark. He's character has been my least favorite this season.

And yes a vampire can walk in if there is no human to invite them in, that is why Frederick was shocked that there was not a human living where Damon and Stefan lived anymore. He asked how would they protect themselves from other vampires.

April 09 2010 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply