October 20, 2014

'Stargate Universe' - 'Divided' Recap

by Mike Moody, posted Apr 10th 2010 3:40PM
stargate universe divided recap
(S01E12) The tide is turning. 'Stargate Universe' is quickly becoming a must-watch sci-fi drama. So far, season one's second half has delivered two of the best episodes of the series. The writers, cast and crew are really starting to get the hang of that dark, tense and atmospheric thing they've been trying to do since the show premiered last October.

"Divided" grabbed me from the opening moments with Chloe walking through the empty ship and that brooding Brand New song creeping up in the background. The nightmare sequence ended on a chilling note with Chloe trapped in the water tank trying to make contact with her mother. Things got extra spooky when that Blue Meanie showed up; those guys are really starting to give me the creeps.

This episode centered on Wray and Rush's attempt to seize command of the ship from the military personnel. Like I wrote last week, I really wasn't looking forward to watching Wray stroke her ego by leading a mutiny, but this ep had a lot more to offer than that.

The mutiny was a direct consequence of Young's decision to abandon Rush on the planet. (I guess he's gonna be paying for that one for a while.) Young's choice to dump Rush gave Wray the ammunition she needed to start her coup. Rush, not surprisingly, joined the mutiny only to save his own arse. He was certain that Young would toss him out the airlock if he ever learned about the alien tracking device.

This ep also explored Chloe's connection to Rush. They are both suffering from strange nightmares and emotional issues after being abducted. I like that these two are bonded by their shared trauma. I'm not sure where it's gonna go, but it's interesting to see Rush forced to connect with someone like Chloe, especially when I think about that ugly confrontation they had early in the series after Chloe's father died.

We got a peek inside of Chloe's nightmare, but I wonder what Rush's dreams look like. He was on that alien ship a lot longer than she was. It seems like they did a lot more to him than plant a tracking device in his chest. It's almost like he has mental or spiritual connection to the aliens now. That wouldn't be a surprise though, considering that they're in possession of that mind-reading technology we saw in the last ep.

So where do you stand on Colonel Young, folks? Me? I've always liked the guy, but he's turned into a cold, grunting and decidedly glum chap ever since the show returned. I'm not sure if he's still fit to lead the crew.

Johansen had a nice moment when she said the crew needed a leader. She was probably talking about Young, but I didn't instantly think of him when she said that. I started scanning the faces of the crew for someone who could succeed Young. Scott is definitely a candidate, even though he's a little young and immature. Wray would be awful. She seems like a power-hungry bureaucrat who is in way over her head. Rush is too crazy and self-serving, and Eli would never even think of taking the job. Johansen might be a good fit. She can act calm and decisive, and she seems to be maturing with every episode.

I'm not sure who will end up leading the ship, but one thing is for sure, these people need leadership. The crew is more, er, divided than ever before, and someone needs to step up. Still, I'm not sure if that's gonna happen after the stalemate that ended this ep. It's more likely that everyone will bond and unite when forced to fight a common threat or work toward a common goal.

The ship is called Destiny. I'm sure it was built for a greater purpose than traveling the stars and collecting data. Maybe Destiny's greater mission will be what unites the crew. But what is Destiny's greater mission? Any theories?

Other thoughts:
- Young is convinced that Rush stole one of the communication stones. Is he paranoid? It seems like something Rush would do, and it might explain how Young ended up on the alien ship last time.

- Loved, loved, loved the steampunk space suits.

- So the Blue Meanies are obsessed with Destiny? That guarantees they'll be back. Hopefully they'll come up with a better plan than shooting at the hull until the ship goes into FTL.

- Chloe joined the rebellion and pretty much betrayed Scott in the process. I guess their relationship is over. Time for Eli to make his move!

- Looking forward to next week's off-world adventure. And I'm really diggin' on this funny clip:

(Watch free episodes of 'Stargate Universe' on Slashcontrol)

William Dunigan

GREETINGS AND FAITHFUL SAYINGS:

Greetings to one and all: In that most precious name. That name which is above every name, the name: "Jesus" ____There's tremendous power in that name. I'd suppose we'll never fully realize all that can truly be accomplished, by us simply calling out that name in true faith.____There's an old, old, gospel song that goes like this: Faith in the Father, faith in the Son, faith in the Holy Spirit, great victories are won. Demons will tremble and sinners will awake, faith in Jehovah will anything shake.____For you who have never come into this realization, if you're reading this, just give him a welcome into your heart and life. You will both feel and see an awesome difference. You will have also purchased the ticket to heaven (by accepting), therefore making him welcome to come into your life. You will also sup from His cup that contains living water. (As did the woman at the well of Bethesda.) John 4:10____Much love, ____Your brother in Christ Jesus, who is both our Lord, and Savior.____www.eloquentbooks.com/BeyondTheGoldenSunsetAndByT... "http://www.eloquentbooks.com/OffToVisitTheProphetElijah

April 13 2010 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
csb1227

Best line...(forgive me if I mess it up)

Johansen: ...you started a war. This is what we do.

April 12 2010 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to csb1227's comment
theoneadd2

I laughed so hard at that line.

April 12 2010 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

Wray and Rush violated the first rule of staging a coup, "If you strike at a King, you must kill him". They had a perfect opportunity to get rid of Young and Scott, but they didnt have the stomach for it. Its a good thing too, because, while Wray and Rush do have legitamat concerns about the military being in control, they werent worth killing people in cold blood over. The whole mutiny/coup was a huge overreaction on Wrays part and it puts her judgement and integrity in question every bit as much as Youngs is from leaving Rush to die.
All Wray had to do was go to Young and suggest to him in a calm, reasonable manner(admittedly not her strong point) that the civilians would like to be kept in the loop a little bit more about what was going on and propose they elect some kind of advisory councel to give them a voice in the decision making process, except in obvious military tactical situations. That would have been to Youngs advantage as well, because it would help put a stop to a lot of rumours and suspicions and made his job easier. Now she has stirred up a bunch of nonsense and made the situation worse.
I loved it when Johansen basically told Rush and Wray that their shit was weak and clued them in that they had declared war on the professional warriors. And I agree that when it all shakes out, I think Johansen will end up in charge. Everyone seems to trust her because she isnt insane and doesnt have any hidden agendas, like a few other people do. She is decisive when she needs to be and has good command presence, something that I cant say for Scott, who just strikes me as dumb and possibly unbalanced.
Despite all of that, this was the second good, strong episode in a row, so things are looking up for the show.

April 12 2010 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scifi.lefemme

Only way unite everyone... he keeps command, but they elect a civilian to be at his side..

April 11 2010 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
excentric

My benchmark for a show is if I know the names of the characters. I know Rush, Eli, and Young, and now Wray after reading this. Everyone else is just a vaguely familiar face. Good writing makes you care about the characters. If you don't even know their names, I guess the caring is missing. This was the problem with Enterprise, as well. I remembered Doctor Phlox's name every week, but that's about it. Oh, and Porthos.

April 11 2010 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

Whether or not Young has some political right to run things, the fact is he is an idiot who keeps making stupid choices and alienating the people whose skills he needs to make sense of the whole situation. I despise him and would love to see him take a big fall.

April 11 2010 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gooby

God I'm getting SO sick of Young. I wanted him to lose his power SO badly because I do think that right now the military pretty much has a dictatorship going on.

I get that they run into all kinds of new situations all the time and they need leadership and decisions to be made quickly, but for EVERY decision to be made by Young? Yeah, really no.

I really do hope they'll sort out the powerplay at some point and distribute the power a bit more evenly among the crew. It's never good to have only one guy (or just the guys & gals with weapons) in charge, cause you basically running a prison camp that way.

But the episodes were really great and at least I wasn't bored. Stargate Universe is turning out to be completely different from the two previous versions and I'm really liking it.

April 11 2010 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

While Wray is right that a civilized society has the military under the people's rule, it's still true since Young takes his orders from his generals on earth who take their orders from the President. I may not be recalling correctly, but this is still true, right? If anything, Wray should be under suspicion since she's enabling a coup to happen.

April 11 2010 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

This episode of Battlestargate was great..... Sigh no it was semi-decent but it seems they are just trying to jam too many BSG type episodes into one of a Stargate show. New Caprica coming up next week...sigh....
Ohhh we have aliens following us dropping out of hyperspace a little bit after we do ohhh noes....
We have a self serving scientist aboard ohhh great... and we still have Izzy sorry Johansen not sure of her full role beyond being a medtech/doctor on the Seattle Gracetiny.

April 11 2010 at 2:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
theoneadd2

To me it's like Stargate Universe "Destiny High school"
Young (The Jocks) VS. Rush, Wray(The Nerds)
I love the show but hate it at the same time. Greer goes from cool kickass guy to I'll shot a bitch episode to episode, Chole gets way to much screen time, Eli the only likable person on the whole ship gets crapped on by almost everyone. One of the few reason I watch is at some point I hope Eli tells Chole, Yong, and Rush he's taking over the ship and putting them out an air lock.

April 11 2010 at 2:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply