September 16, 2014

'Fringe' Theories - Where Do We Go From Here?

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 11th 2010 10:40AM
Fringe, John Noble, The Man From the Other SideNow that we're firmly into the second half -- and heading towards the end -- of season two of 'Fringe,' let's talk about what's happened so far, and what we think might happen. Some of these speculations will mirror those I made last September, because not all of those questions have been answered yet. In fact, we may have more questions now than we did back then.

Still, with the episode titled 'Peter,' we finally started to get into the nitty-gritty about Walter stealing Peter from the alternate universe. Of course, we all knew this, but when will Peter find out, and who will tell him? That and lots of other questions spring to mind.

Will Peter learn the truth about his origins?
Yes, I believe so, but the question is who will be the one to tell him? In last week's episode, 'Olivia. In the Lab. With a Revolver,' Olivia was determined to tell Peter the truth, but then decided against it after realizing that their family unit (Peter, Walter and Olivia) was more important than Peter knowing the truth. Then Walter decided that HE should be the one to tell Peter, painful as it might be. Walter knows there's a good chance that he could lose his son ... again. One other question is this: Walter visited Peter's grave in season one. If that grave is in this universe, why on earth would they use his real name on the gravestone? What if Peter stumbled across it?

Wouldn't Peter remember anything about being taken?
In 'Peter,' the boy looked at the other Walter and said, "You're not my father, are you?" He seemed old enough to have some memory of all of that, and even if he didn't remember the actual "taking" of him to the other universe, it seems like he'd certainly remember meeting someone who looked like his father, but wasn't, in fact, his father. Unless Walter did something to erase his memory. Or maybe it was in Peter's subconscious all this time, and that's why he was never close to this Walter. In last week's review, commenter Alana noted that "Alternate Peter knew our Walter was not his father, which could be why grown Peter has always seemed far more emotionally attached to his mother. That's how it was from where he was from. It only follows reason that would continue in this universe, even if Peter believed he had dreamed the whole thing."

Will we see the Walternate, and what is his state of mind?
Well, we saw him in the 1985 flashback, and my guess is we'll see him again. It's probably not too much of a stretch to say he's majorly ticked that his son was taken away; then again, does he even KNOW that his son was taken by the other Walter (the one we know and love)? I mean, people disappear all the time, and you wouldn't automatically think, "Oh, someone stole him and took him to an alternate universe." But then, we're talking about the Walternate, so that's probably exactly what he would think.

Is Walternate the cause of the strife in the alternate universe? The images we've seen of the other universe look bleak and desolate, but how would this be tied to Walternate trying to get his son back? If Walternate does know that Peter was taken, he would undoubtedly do everything possible to get him back. Commenter Jason speculated that "the further cause of new events and further collisions of the alt universe and the present are a result of alt-Walter looking to seek revenge on Walter for taking his son, and his quest to take him back to the alt universe." And as I understand it, any time there's a breach between the two universes, it causes both to become unstable.

Where was William Bell in 1985 when Peter was taken?
D speculated that Bell wasn't in Berlin; "I, like Walter, don't just buy that he was at meetings or whatever. I suspect there's more to that." So if Bell was in the alternate universe in 1985, then possibly he knew about the taking of Peter. Who's side is he on? This Walter or the Walternate? Juan.Herrera10 feels that Bell was in the alternate universe during Peter's funeral, "which means that Walter erroneously thinks that he is guilty for first opening the first hole into the alternate universe." Interesting thought. Bell might be the cause of the initial breakdown between the two universes.

Is Nina Sharp Peter's mother? Bruce and Nattyff are among the commenters who think that Nina Sharp may be Peter's mother, and they might be on to something. She's said more than once that she and Walter were "very close" when Peter was young, and she's also said how important Peter is to her. It's not impossible to think that Peter could be Nina Sharp's son.

Is John Scott still being held in a vegetative state at Massive Dynamic? And am I misremembering, or isn't there a room full of other bodies being held there?

Who is Sam, the Bowling Alley Guy? In last week's episode, I theorized that he might be from the other universe. "I'm older than I look," he told Olivia. "I barely remember my childhood. I'm also taller than I appear." Why she didn't grab him by the scruff of his neck and demand answers is beyond me. Oh no, they just played a harmless game of 'Clue.' What a metaphor for 'Fringe.'

How do the Observers play into all this?
They're still a mystery to me, including the young Observers found in this universe (remember the one they found in the building that was about to be demolished?). And as Bruce noted, I, too, found it interesting that the Observers can screw up, although as D mentioned, they signed off on the fact that Peter was here to stay, and they engineered a "fix" with the pond incident.

Leave your own theories, questions, answers and speculations in the comments below.

juan.herrera10

Is Nina Sharp Peter's mother? Logically, we have met Elizabeth in both universes and there is no doubt that they raised both Peters. Remember both Walter, Walternate and William Bell are highly skilled scientists. Has any one conceived the idea of Nina being the surrogate mother or egg donor? I don't think "invitro fertilization" is out of the question here.

April 11 2010 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Blue Sunflower

Walternate would know it was Walter who took Peter. Elizabethnate would have told him.

April 11 2010 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lincoln Paradox

Bell is actually Spock Prime, who traveled back in time accidentally during an attempt to try and switch over to the original Trek universe (and save Vulcan). Now, he's stuck in Earth's past, searching for a way to save his homeworld and reality.

That, and the Walternate is the "big bad." In fact, the Walternate might be so bad that he sparks the formation of the Terran Empire and the spawning of the Mirror, Mirror universe.

And I wouldn't have these theories if Orci and Kurtzman didn't write the new Trek and Fringe.

Trek references I can handle, but once I see Decepticon testicles I'll stop watchin.

April 11 2010 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kris

I don't trust William Bell. Like others, my assumption is that Bell is in the alt-universe during the funeral. I don't see how Nina Sharp could be Peter's mother, however, because Elizabeth would know whether Peter was her son or not. I'd bet that it was William who opened the door, but allows Walter to accept the blame for being the first to open the door between worlds.

I'm disturbed by the fact that nobody has told Peter. Once Peter knows, however, I suspect that a huge rift will open between Peter, Olivia, and Walter. The fact that they both know and have not told him will hurt him...particularly since he feels he can trust Olivia. I do wonder how Peter's odd past in this universe is going to factor in.

April 11 2010 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

" If that grave is in this universe, why on earth would they use his real name on the gravestone? What if Peter stumbled across it?"

They used his real name because their Peter was dead and buried before Walter brought Peter #2 to his universe. Since Peter was basically sheltered at home for his adolescence, not many, outside Walters inner circle of friends, probably knew he even existed, so the likelihood of Peter going to a random cemetery and stumbling across his own headstone seems fairly remote.

April 11 2010 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to LC's comment
Brett Alan

I'm thinking that even if he did come across the headstone, he'd think it was someone else. It's not as though "Peter Bishop" is such an unusual name.

April 11 2010 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alana

"Is Walternate the cause of the strife in the alternate universe?"

You know, I'm having a hard time choosing between Walternate and alt-Elizabeth as to whom is causing the strife. Honestly, if forced, I would have to go with Elizabeth. She just seemed so much more forceful in the alt-verse than Walternate, as evidenced by her mirrored relationship to Peter that our Walter had. She made Walter promise to bring Peter back and he didn't. She, in my opinion, will do whatever it takes to get her son back. She doesn't care about the rest of the world. All she cares about is her boy.

As to Walter erasing Peter's memory:
Remember the episode "Dream Logic"? Season two, episode five. Peter tells Olivia about having terrible nightmares as a child. Walter taught him how to condition himself so that Peter wouldn't remember his dreams. He said, "From the age of eight to almost nineteen, don't remember a single dream." Eight is the age at which he was taken. It stands to reason that his nightmares would be a result of being stolen from his parents and the drowning incident. He also says "it was one of the rare occasions in my childhood that Walter was helpful."

Really, the person two people we should feel the worst for in this situation are Walter and Peter. Peter was taken from his real parents and Walter's son, who worshiped the ground he walked on, was replaced by a boy who worshiped the ground his mother walked on. It's tragic.

I can't believe I just typed all that. Does geekiness/dorkiness know no bounds?! I blame the show.

April 11 2010 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrissthomas

What if Bell is not from our universe at all. Maybe Bell is from the alternate and broke the veil by first coming here. Why is Bell always missing and seems to always mysteriously be vague about where he is?
Nina couldn't be Peter's mom because Peter had a mom and we know who she was. There doesn't seem to be any indication that she was not his biological mother and that would be something far less concealable than a Father not being the biological parent.

April 11 2010 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kp

I think as far as Peter remembering that Walter wasn't his real father, his memory was probably messed up because of the near drowning right after.

People tend to have memory loss surrounding major accidents, especially if he received a concussion.

When I was younger, I was in a hiking accident and can't remember a minute or two before the accident, the accident, or right after.

April 11 2010 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply