July 31, 2014

'Saturday Night Live' - 'Tina Fey/Justin Bieber' Recap

by Annie Wu, posted Apr 11th 2010 3:49PM
tina fey
(S35E18) Tina Fey gives hope to all nerdy funny girls out there. You may be frumpy and strange now, girls, but all you have to do is work really hard, be yourself, create/write/star in a hit show with Alec Baldwin and become super-famous. Then you will finally be able to soothe the flame of self-hate this is currently raging within you. This is the only option to escape your ugly duckling phase. Sorry if you were convinced otherwise.

All right, seriously, this was a solid episode. It felt like Fey had a strong hand in what kind of material was being produced; most of the sketches worked very well for her. This was also the first time I had heard Justin Bieber. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

Cold Open: Obama breaks down the Census for all of America. All the weirdly sexual questions were hilarious but my favorite line is a tie between "Have any individuals residing in this household on April 1, 2010 criticized President Obama's health care reform plan? What are their names?" or "If some member of this household had to die, so that others might live, who should that be?"

Monologue: Man, Tina Fey has gotten really excited about her own boobs in the past few years. The cut of her tops have been increasingly bold. Anyway, enough about cleavage. This monologue was all right. I've never been a fan of Fey's... rap voice... but I still really enjoyed the shout-outs. And Steve Martin? That guy will find any reason -- any reason at all -- to show up on 'SNL'.

Brownie Husband: I was stunned by Brownie Husband. The sheer (and disturbing) genius of it. It really only would have worked if Tina Fey was the host. What other actress would understand the vigor and aggressiveness required to attack a man-sized brownie with an exploding caramel face?

Tiger Woods at the Masters: The Tiger Woods scandal is a never-ending exercise in slow self-destruction, and it looks like 'SNL' is planning on milking it for as long as they can. This sketch was all right. There were a few good lines here and there, ut the best part was the controversial Tiger Woods ad, featuring Kenan Thompson darting his eyes back and forth guiltily as Bill Hader (possibly?) voiced his late father.

Sarah Palin Network: Perfect, right down to the shimmering flag pin on a black leather jacket. I would love to see a series of sketches just showing soap operas based on right-wing panic. Or, hell, maybe even sketches showing 'Todd!', which was especially great. I also demand that someone bring '30 Main Street' to life.

Teacher: This sketch was so wrong. But also super-great. All the songs were hilarious, as were the Fey's reactions and weird attempt at bedroom eyes directed at the camera. And, geez, good for Justin Bieber being such a sport throughout this entire episode, but I don't think he realized just how creepy some of those moments were. This sketch alone would have been fine, but then he just had to throw in that head-in-boobs side-hug he gave Fey during the good-bye, his little shout-out to her during the song about smiling or whatever... Kid, aren't you, like, thirteen? Months old?

Weekend Update: A totally solid Update this week, apart from a slightly weak appearance from Aunt Linda (after several Kristen Wiig-heavy weeks, she was surprisingly light on material in this episode). A lot of laugh-out-loud moments, including "Four electric trucks!? Well, let me be the first to say, welcome back, glaciers!", Jenga with glue and Jason Sudeikis's devil sharing his thoughts on the Pope scandal and what constitutes as watercooler talk: "Gossip is normally stuff like, 'Hey, did you hear how drunk Tracy from reception got last night?' It's not like, 'Didya hear who got molested? Thousands of kids.'"

I was a little disappointed about the Asian-American Snooki joke, though. I mean, give us some credit. We can be just whores and disappointments to the human race as much as anyone on 'Jersey Shore.' Don't make me prove a point.

Of course, Tina Fey had to step in and put on the ol' Update blazer again. She talked about lady-news and, after Seth Meyer's "Good night!", made sure to drop in a "And have a pleasant tomorrow." Memories.

Al Roker's Ruff, Rugged and Roker: One of the weaker sketches from the night, but still a pretty funny concept. Nasim Pedrad's Kim Kardashian is a little too Fran Drescher and not enough girly-baby voice.

School Dance: Wow, Tina Fey can really look like Sally Jesse Raphael. Nasim Pedrad played this character beautifully, making this sketch kind of adorable. And creepy. But mostly adorable. Once again, Bieber showed up. His presence is inescapable.

Lolene, the 9-Inch Tall Hooker: This sketch was incredibly weird but, for some reason, I really liked it. To take a completely surreal situation and make it overly heartfelt works. She's a hooker! With a heart of gold! And she's only nine-inches tall!

[Watch episodes and clips of 'Saturday Night Live' and other shows over at SlashControl.]

izikavazo

It was a very Tina Fey type episode. You could tell she took over head writing from Seth Meyers. Seth doesn't write sketches about teenagers or sketches with endings.

April 13 2010 at 2:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xolus

Oh c'mon! No love for Brownie Husband??? Tina Fey in a nightie licking up caramel. Nuff Said.

April 12 2010 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j0phus

I love Tina Fey and the Palin Sketch and Weekend Update were great, as always. But the funniest part of this episode was the second musical performance when they kept going to a camera that completely blocked out the kid's face completely. I'll bet the set was heated when the cameras went off.

April 12 2010 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sid

This was their best episode in a long time. I didn't realize why at first, but when Kristen Wig did her aunt Linda character, I realized why, she wasn't doing her annoying characters.

April 11 2010 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Solid episode. The cold open was weak, but the Palin Network sketch was perfectly written, and the Tiger Woods ad was great. Even Keenan's Al Roker sketch was good -- better than another "What Up With That," anyway.

Only criticism: Not enough Wiig.

April 11 2010 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OB

Great episode overall, and thank you SNL for limiting Kristen Wiig. She has been way overused this year and has become more annoying than commercials....thankfully we have DVRs now.

April 11 2010 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Rober Palmer "Simply Irresistble" Boom!

Sorry that Boom was totally uncalled for.

April 11 2010 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Chris's comment
Joanna

Boom! is always called for.

April 11 2010 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Thank You.
Let the record show my boom was "Justified". BOOM!

April 12 2010 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wince

Ok what is the music video is she protraying in the top picture? I cant remember and its driving me crazy.

April 11 2010 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Wince's comment
Annie W.

Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love." I think "Simply Irresistible" is the one that substitutes instruments with EXTRA-GYRATION.

April 11 2010 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maggie

Shame on TIna Fey and SNL. The student teacher skit was so inappropriate. This is an era of teachers being arrested for this type of behavior. Justin is 16 and Hollywoood is already doing a number on him. No morals, no shame, no class. These writers need to look at todays youth and stop already!TIna is the mother of a male child? Wow what a bad role model!

April 11 2010 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Maggie's comment
Miles

If I lived in a world where television that comes on after 11pm had to cater to children, I'd just hook my computer up to my LCD. Relax, no one is gonna rape a kid because of SNL. This show comes on late , so you should expect "saucy" content.

April 11 2010 at 6:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j0phus

I'd be a little more worried about the predators dressed like priests roaming the streets, than something that obviously shaming teachers who are sleeping with children. Get some perspective.

April 12 2010 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bawb

-Too bad NBC hasn't put the monologue online. "...and this is my *child's* nanny"= comic genius.
-"School Dance" would've been better if we didn't see the punch line coming from a mile off. The INSTANT I saw the socially-awkward-teenage-girl character I KNEW she would wind up with Bieber in one form or another. Would've been better earlier in the show, or maybe taped and played in another episode to maximize the element of surprise.
-Lolene wasn't bad but I hope we never see her again. It's basically a one-joke sketch, but SNL has milked movies out of less.
-They didn't take the squick as far as they could. The INSTANT I saw Bill Hader as a priest I thought he'd wind up with Bieber....but no. Nothing of the sort.
Whew.