September 2, 2014

'The Amazing Race' - 'Dumb Did Us In' Recap

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Apr 11th 2010 11:54PM
The Amazing Race in Singapore
(S16E09) Yikes! I'm finding it hard to believe that we're down to five teams on 'The Amazing Race.' It seems like it just started a few weeks ago. Where has the season gone? The five remaining teams aren't necessarily the final five teams I would have predicted in the beginning. I really thought Steve and Allie or Joe and Heidi would have taken up a few of the last slots.

But both of those teams were Philiminated, so we're down to models, lesbians, cowboys, cops and young brothers, oh my. Well, the cowboys are brothers, too. Are the best teams still in the running? I can only say that since they haven't been eliminated, they deserve to be there. That doesn't mean I have to like them.

Once again, after the teams departed from their pit stop in Malaysia, they were bunched up on a train trip to Singapore. I received plenty of feedback when I mentioned last week that I thought they were bunching them up a lot this season. Now we had it again this week. It's actually okay as it keeps the race starting out fresh all the time, I guess. The big news isn't the bunching -- it's the U-turn ahead. Some of the teams just plain despise each other.

The cowboys and the young brothers seem to be getting along with everyone, at least on the surface. Although the brothers have mentioned in the clips to us that they have some issues with Brent and Caite's treatment of Brandy and Carol, they're keeping it mum to the other teams. But we know that both the cops and the models want Brandy and Carol out while Brandy and Carol would love to boot Brent and Caite. A U-turn is custom-made for this sort of rivalry.

I'm begrudgingly liking the young brothers, Dan and Jordan, more each week. Oh no, they won't top the cowboys as my favorite team for the win. But they're making smart moves. Not only are they staying out of the disputes between teams, but they jumped on the fast forward this week -- a crawl high above the ground on the Singapore Flyer, the tallest observation wheel in the country. I look at these things noting the safety ropes and think, "Well, that's not that risky." But when I think about the fact that their knees are on the hard metal rungs of the wheel and they're forced to look down from such a height ... yeah, it's hard to do. They successfully finished the fast forward and arrived in first place at the pit stop where they told Phil their mother would kill them for winning motorbikes. Yep, they're kids!

The rest of the teams had to do the detour and roadblock before hitting the pit stop. One team had to do both parts of the detour -- pounding drums and pounding the pavement. I would have been a supreme fail at the drums, as were many of the teams. For me, it was a surprise that most of the teams went for the drums rather than selling ice cream. It was a shocker how well Caite took to the drums. I almost liked her for a minute. Then I regained my senses.

Because Caite did so well on the drums, they hit the U-turn first. Naturally, they U-turned Carol and Brandy. This time the U-turn wasn't a blind one, so Carol and Brandy knew exactly who did it. I don't know why they were so surprised. You can't tell me that they wouldn't have done the same to Brent and Caite if given the chance. I'm sick of both of the teams. Between the "dumb" and "mean" kvetching from both teams, I wouldn't mind if there was a double Philimination and they both went far away. I found it interesting that Louie and Michael think they schemed to have the models U-turn the lesbians. Hmm.

Counting the chain links in the roadblock with all the noise must have been easier than it seemed watching it on television as all the teams got the count right on the first try. Then it was off to MegaZip, which looked like way too much fun, then onto the pit stop. Unfortunately (just because they irk me), Brent and Caite came in second. The cowboys were third, the cops fourth, and Carol and Brandy were Philiminated. Good.

Talk about sour grapes from those two! They bickered with each other. They constantly mocked Caite and Brent for being dumb. Yet, dumb did them in. Perhaps it was their own dumbness that did them in, not the mental status of Caite and Brent. If Carol and Brandy had been so openly derisive of other teams, maybe they wouldn't have been U-turned and Philiminated, eh? Apparently the "dumb team" outsmarted them. So who's dumb? Probably the same team who's so bitter.

If they had been given the chance, do you think that Carol and Brandy would have U-turned Brent and Caite?
Yes, in a heartbeat!701 (79.7%)
No, they would have U-turned the strongest team -- the cowboys.140 (15.9%)
Those sweet ladies? They wouldn't have U-turned anyone.9 (1.0%)
They would only U-turn the team behind them if they knew they were at the end of the pack26 (3.0%)
Other -- you tell me in comments!4 (0.5%)

slobejko

last turned us off when cowboys got to go off. seemed liked the other teams didn't do the bike correctly and should . have had been told to do it right.. didn't like sunday results at all don't even care to watch anymore

April 25 2011 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Finn

And by losing a million dollars I meant Brent and Caite losing it, not Brandy and Carol. I think they made a dumb choice and it will cost them in the end.

April 14 2010 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Finn

I fail to see how "will she be running the race in her sash and tiara" is a comment worth losing a million dollars over. Especially since the amount of people both on and off the race who said much worse is almost uncountable. And Caite never actually heard Carol say it, she had it reported to her. Notice how the horrible witches didn't run to Brent and Caite to report Jordan's spot on imitation of Caite's answer to her pageant question. This whole mess is clearly and unquestionably a disgusting mix of homophobia and misogyny. And I blame editing for making this kind of hatred seem acceptable and I hold the amazing race responsible for encouraging the spread of prejudice and hatred. It is nothing less that media sanctioned lesbian bashing.

In fairness to editing and the amazing race they didn't cut out the disgusting comment by Brent "ladies get their way bitches don't". I guess they understand clearly that nobody gives a damn about misogyny. "Off like a prom dress" is strange comment to anyone let alone a small child. Mostly people don't even notice misogyny. It is an acceptable/sanctioned way of life. I wonder how it would sound if some woman said, "gentlemen get their way, pricks don't".

As far as bickering goes, I like the low key, low energy exchanges between Carol and Brandy much more than Brent and Caite's spot on and strangely prophetic "you're a dummy." You're a dummy." you're a freaking idiot." you're a freaking idiot."

Here's a couple of clips that didn't get air time but show a different slant to how Carol and Brandy talked about others and also a little about how they felt uncomfortable at times but made the best of it.

April 14 2010 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

I don't like Brent and Caite but think they are a strong team. If someone was picking on me and calling me names I probably would U-turn them too but that would make as stupid as they were. I believe other than the brothers that the other 3 teams are the strongest and if I were one of the strongest, I would prefer to run the race against the lesbians rather than the Cowboys.

April 12 2010 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

I agree with Ryan. Wouldn't it be great if the cops were "Philiminated" at the next stop? It will probably be a non-elimination round before the get to the F3. If Brent & Caite can pull off the 3rd team for the finals eliminating the cops, what a finale that would be........here's hoping that's how it plays out. Oh well, we'll have to wait two weeks since they're interrupted for the ACM next week.

April 12 2010 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Brandy and Carol's call to Elimination Station shows they won't be letting go of this grudge for a long, long time. They're even exaggerating it a bit. Well, at least for about 5 minutes, they're not tearing each other down.

April 12 2010 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

I like Brent and Caite just fine, seem like nice people to be honest. The girlfriends were just mean spirited all around though, I think I'd have had to U-Turn them as well to get rid of that negativity.

April 12 2010 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sigma982

By the way, I think it would have been even BETTER if it were a non-elimination leg, and Carol/Brandy returned for the next leg. How AWESOME would this coming episode have been?!?!

April 12 2010 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sigma982

The true side (with the help of some editing, of course) of Carol and Brandy came to light as soon as they found out about being U-turned. Their consistent holier-than-thou, fancypants attitude, and their simple petty childishness came out as well. I personally thought that they were more immature than Brent and Caite were "dumb".

Was it a smart strategy move? Probably not the best. But it's the whole "what goes around comes around"...and I think that there was more than just the tiara comment from what I remember. I would say the U-Turn was based 90% on "screwing them" and 10% on getting rid of a team they saw as a threat and not liking them....ok, maybe 95%/5%....

Either way, I wasn't upset about it. I like all the teams left, although I think the cops are getting a bit too big for their britches and need to get over themselves; I actually dislike Brent the most out of everyone left. The cowboys and the young brothers are my favorites, but I wouldn't be upset if any of the teams actually won.

April 12 2010 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

Anyone else think both sides were incredibly immature about the whole thing!?

Although I wish I wouldn't, I'm siding with Brent & Caite on this one. Carol & Brandy were so harsh in their "dumb" comments about the Dating Models, I can only assume that there were even harsher things said behind the scenes...

I'm rooting for the brother teams to win this season, either Jet & Cord or Dan & Jordan! Go Positivity!

April 12 2010 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply