December 21, 2014

'The Big Bang Theory' - 'The Wheaton Recurrence' Recap

by Kona Gallagher, posted Apr 12th 2010 11:22PM
Big Bang Theory, wil wheaton
(S03E19) Wow, Wil Wheaton really is evil. First he plays the dead Mee-Maw card, then he sinks even lower. I mean, he doesn't sink so low that he'd break up a relationship to win a bowling tournament -- or would he? I do love the fact that they used Wheaton for the majority of the episode this time, instead of just having him show up at the end, like they did in his first episode.

He had quite the impact on everyone's lives, although probably not in the way that anyone would have guessed. I don't know about you, but I certainly wouldn't have thought that Wil Wheaton was going to alter the entire course of the show. So what do you think about what he did?

The writers seem to have had a bit of a problem with the whole Penny/Leonard relationship this season, and quite frankly, I've been expecting the break-up to happen for quite some time. However, having Wil Wheaton rent space in Penny's head and convince her that she's just leading Leonard on was a pretty brilliant way to do it.

Although I'm unconvinced that this is truly the end. Sure, Penny may not be ready to tell Leonard she loves him, but she is quoting 'Empire Strikes Back,' which is nerd for "love" anyway. I don't believe she's actually leading him on; she's overwhelmed and confused, but I think this pair is ultimately going to get back together. It may take a few episodes, and they may drag it out as much as possible, but this isn't the end of Leonard and Penny.

A few other things:
  • Wolowitz and Raj trying to guess what went wrong with Leonard and Penny was hysterical -- and now it's even easier to see where their relationships have gone wrong.
  • How long until we see 'The Wesley Crusher' shirts?
  • I'm not surprised at all that Raj loved his Catwoman costume so much.

Some of my favorite quotes from this week's episode:

Wolowitz: "Why is Leonard being a giant douche? That is, assuming, of course that giant douches are possible."
Sheldon: "Of course they are -- Leonard's being one."

"What did you do, Romeo? Did you pour maple syrup all over your body and ask her if she was in the mood for a short stack?" - Wolowitz

"A common spare. The Miss Congeniality of the Bowling Pageant." - Sheldon

"Tweet that, Tweetie Bird." - Sheldon

"I've been familiarizing myself with female emotional crises by studying the comic strip, 'Cathy.' When she's upset she says 'Ack' and eats ice cream." - Sheldon

"Enjoy the accolades now, Wil Wheaton. But like your time on 'Star Trek: The Next Generation,' your smug self-satisfaction will be short-lived." - Sheldon

TVBin

Watch all new The Big Bang Thoery at http://www.tvbin.org/category/the-big-bang-theory

April 18 2010 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

I think Wolowitz stole the show last night. The whole episode was funny, but it was Wolowitz that made me laugh out loud..

April 13 2010 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thor

"I don't believe she's actually leading him on; she's overwhelmed and confused, but I think this pair is ultimately going to get back together. It may take a few episodes, and they may drag it out as much as possible, but this isn't the end of Leonard and Penny."

That's what I think, too. She'll get there; she just needs time. *crosses fingers*

April 13 2010 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I loved this episode, it was the first time I took Leonard & Penny relationship seriously. I have no doubt they'll get back together at some point in the near future (for how long it lasts... who knows), but I think their relationship will be more believeable next time around. But the reason I liked this episode was because I got all the characters interacting together, although the main plot-lines were Penny-Leonard / Sheldon-Wheaton, it didn't seems so separated! It was great!

April 13 2010 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kristi's comment
Erica H.

I liked this episode too. It's been way too much Sheldon, and they did spread it around a little, but not a lot. I loved the whitty humor that Walowitz and Raj had. Specifically about the Manstruation... Then the hysterical The premature I love you... or just Premature... lol. Those guys are hysterical and need more of them in it!
Oh, and I want a Will Wheaton shirt too! Check out this review

April 13 2010 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Drew

The shirts can be purchased, the links Sheldon rattled off last night were real ones with the shirts available to buy on Zazzle. http://www.willwheatonstinks.org/

April 13 2010 at 6:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Drew's comment
Rube

I don't expect that site will be up for long. It's not official and will probably get nuked for copyright infringement. Note that Wil's name is misspelled in the URL, and it's registered to some guy, not CBS. The properly spelled domain (wilwheatonstinks.com) is registered by CBS, but has no live site.

April 13 2010 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Aw, man - I totally didn't realize this was the week Wil was back. I can only plead loopiness from having the ick. Does anyone stream CBS shows?

April 13 2010 at 4:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to RobynM's comment
Seth

cbs.com

April 13 2010 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yvonne

I for one hope this is the last of Penny/Leonard--I love her as their friend, but she lost all individuality while dating Leonard (and I don't get the attraction). Just because she could love a geek doesn't mean it has to be this one.

April 13 2010 at 1:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fullman

I, for nothing short of pure selfishness, absolutely must buy a 'The Wesley Crushers' shirt AS SOON as it's available, and I'm sure it very well may be in the near future!

April 13 2010 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply