September 19, 2014

'24' - '8:00AM - 9:00AM' Recap

by Mike Moody, posted Apr 13th 2010 3:15AM
renee walker, season 8, 24
(S08E17) Hour 17 began on a downbeat and ended with a major tragedy. At least Chloe was finally recognized as the CTU's best and brightest rock star. That was a sweet moment in a sluggish episode full of predictable developments and a senseless "shocking" ending.

Head after the jump for the spoils. And fair warning: get ready for some major whining about this episode.

Renee's death didn't really hit me too hard. It's not that I saw it coming – but I did (how could you not?) – but watching '24' these days is like watching a spectator sport that's lost its surprise and luster. It's solid, fun and familiar entertainment, but my heart just isn't in the game anymore. I'm not invested in the story, and the "shocks" don't land as hard as they used to.

This episode never really took off, mostly thanks to a slow pace and a cheerless tone left over from last week's final reveal. Despite the last few scenes, It felt like the ep was only putting pieces in place that will hopefully pay off in the next few hours. It almost seemed like the writers knew they had nothing truly compelling going on in this hour, even with the return of Charles Logan and Dalia Hassan's appointment as president. So they decided to end it with a major death that, no doubt, ticked off more than half of the show's fan base.

Sure, Renee's death will probably force Jack back out into the field looking for revenge, but killing her off still felt like a cheap move. I wasn't really attached to Renee, although Annie Wersching was great in the role, and almost everything involving Renee this season has been excellent. But the death felt hollow. And where does it leave us? With Jack sad, alone, depressed and angry – again.

Kiefer Sutherland was great in the final death scene, with Renee's body lying on the stretcher. No argument there.

Now let's take stock (er, complain about) the other developments of the hour.

- The convenient idea to appoint Dalia Hassan as IRK president was hailed as "inspired" by Ethan Kanin. He was obviously watching a different show. The government's quick acceptance of Dalia's claim to the office came all too easily and was sorely lacking in suspense or, you know, drama. There's no way something like that would be cleared in under an hour.

- Mr. Novakovich, the Russian Foreign Minister, might as well be wearing a big black hat or carrying around a pitchfork everywhere he goes. He's bad. He's evil. He's the devil. He was connected to Hassan's death and to all of the terrible things that have been happening. This has been obvious since we met him. Yet no one has thought to put a security detail on the guy. I'm curious to find out what the Russian prez has to say about his decision to reject the peace negotiations. Hopefully Taylor can get him on the phone.

- Logan's back! I like Logan, even though I feel like taking a shower every time he's on screen. (The dude's scummy is what I'm sayin'.) But it makes absolutely no sense that Taylor would trust this guy to be the linchpin in the most important peace talks in a generation. Still, watching him weasel his way back into the government might prove to be fun.

- It seems like the slate has been rubbed clean. The nuclear rods were recovered, the IRK terrorists are dead, Hassan is dead, and the plot is now moving in a completely new direction. It feels a little abrupt, but I'm willing to go with it. The focus is on the Russians, Logan's play, and Jack's revenge-fueled return to the field. It looks like things might feel more focused now, which is good, but it also feels like the show just ditched 16 hours of development without much thought or care, which is not so good.

Sir Yuck-Yuck

Ummm Chloe is only the acting head of CTU until a replacement is called in they should call in Alberta Green like they did in season 1 to pay homage to the series since its ending

April 17 2010 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

can't they throw in a twist every few hours, instead of one EACH hour?

April 13 2010 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JennyL

I think Brannon Braga must have a dartboard with things like "kill major character" "evil twin" "Bobby Ewing dream" and "useless subplot."

April 13 2010 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to JennyL's comment
tcc3

If only we had something as cliche and awesome as an evil twin.

Like Ninas evil(er) twin, Tina.

April 16 2010 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I saw this episode as a transitional one. It felt like 24's techtonic plates were really starting to shift. Chloe becomes head of CTU? Oh, yeah. We're inching closer...

April 13 2010 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bonbon99

Okay, here's the thing. I know 24 has gotten into a cycle, terrorist attacks, kidnappings etc etc. But seriously, we don't need to be reminded of that EVERY FREAKIN DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get over it, or don't comment/watch at all. If all you are going to is bitch about the show, do it on ihate24.com/brannonbragasucks.

For the reviewer:

Yes, we all know it wouldn't cleared so quick . . . IN THE REAL WORLD. But 24 is meant to be a suspense DRAMA. Suspend your disbelief. If you've made it this far in the series, you can surely do that.

Just because WE know that Mr. Big Bad Russian Man is, well, big and bad, DOESN'T mean Prez. Taylor does. All she knows is that there is something suspicious going on cuz the Russians have apparently zero interest in peace with the IRK. That is NO reason to have a security guard tail him.

Nobody said that Taylor trusts Logan! Just the opposite! She said, paraphrased of course, "You were responsible for covering up a president's assassination! I only agreed to this meeting because my most trusted adviser told me to. I hate your guts! If you make me regret this . . ." Yeah, there's definite trust there.

Granted, this season has not been as good as past seasons. But really people? REALLY?!

Oh, yeah. I thought this episode was really good. I'm sad that Renee died and very excited about Chloe heading up CTU for the rest of the season.

April 13 2010 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bonbon99's comment
Paulie

Considering how past heads of CTU have ended up, Chloe's promotion might just be setting the character up for killing....another "shocking" moment and reason for Jack to run amuck in the movie if it gets off the ground.

April 18 2010 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FailureAnalyst

Consider these repetitions:

-CTU has never made it through a "day" without at least one change in command.

- Every time people have sex on 24, at least one member of the coupling is punished with imminent death.

April 13 2010 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy Martin

Is it at all possible that she's not really dead and they are just doing this to flush out the Russians? I guess I'm just hoping this might be true but, since Jack didn't find out what she was speaking to Chloe about until after she was dead, I guess that's not the case.

April 13 2010 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Nancy Martin's comment
Edward

silent clock = death

April 13 2010 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MikLamb

Look, it's not as though we really should have thought that Renee would live (although I would have preferred it). That's just not the way it happens on 24. ESPECIALLY since 24 is not really over -- there's going to be a movie. I think the movie deal played a huge part in the decision to keep Jack from riding off into the sunset with true love.

Now, one more thing. If they can bring back Logan for one final hurrah for the end of the series, where's Tony? And even more importantly, where's Aaron Pierce? I believe he's been the only returning character (besides Jack, of course) that's been in every season. We really need Aaron this season!

April 13 2010 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to MikLamb's comment
MrWiseguy

I agree about Aaron. If he's not a fan favorite, who is?

And I don't think it would be that hard sticking him into the storyline, even if for just a minute or two.

April 13 2010 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bonbon99

I agree completely.

Anyone have any idea when the movie is going to come out?

April 13 2010 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daniel

Excellent episode overall. The show had been moving at warp speed the past few weeks; so it was a nice change of pace to have a slower buildup to the final 7 hours. The scenes with Logan and Taylor were riveting, and the Dalia Hassan angle toed the line nicely without ever descending into unbelievability or melodrama.

Renee's death was sudden and (for me) unexpected with so many hours left in the day. It was cold and brutal - just the way I like my "24." Jack and Renee didn't even get a chance to connect emotionally via dialogue or grow closer together. But that's the way "24" is: Happiness is only fleeting. Kudos to the writers for doing this. It struck me pretty hard, but Jack now has a foil for the final 7 hours.

People complaining about Renee's death should remember that those very complaints automatically redeem the writers. If a death is polarizing, that means it was effective. Also for those thinking Season 8 has been weak, I would disagree. I think the pacing and overall story development have been pretty solid this year.

April 13 2010 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

"But watching '24' these days is like watching a spectator sport that's lost its surprise and luster. It's solid, fun and familiar entertainment, but my heart just isn't in the game anymore. I'm not invested in the story..."

If that's genuinely how you feel, I would seriously ask you to consider handing off the reviews/recaps to someone else; for your sake and that of fans of the show.

These are the final few episodes of the show and fans would be much better served by posts from someone who still has real regard and enthusiasm for the show; neither of which preclude a balanced critique of the show.

If your heart "just isn't in the game anymore" and even you feel like you're down to "whining" about the show, please, step back into the role of viewer and let someone else take the reins.

April 13 2010 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply