November 28, 2014

'Damages' - 'You Were His Little Monkey' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 13th 2010 3:14AM
Damages, You Were His Little Monkey
(S03E12) "I can only think of one. Turn the Tobins against each other, because we won't find the money unless we tear that family apart." - Patty to Ellen, after Ellen said there must be another angle they can play, now that Tessa is dead.

Hoo boy. You know the end of 'Damages' is near (next week is the finale), because a lot happened in this episode to tie things together. Not everything, but a lot. And I love how near the end, they put the emphasis on "3. Days. Later." If they'd used a drama button in this episode, it would have been there. Well, follow me after the jump and we'll see if we can piece this freaky puzzle together.

Well, let's just jump right to the end, since the last, oh, three minutes revealed a ton of stuff:

Wes Krulick was Detective Messer's former partner. But that didn't look like Timothy Olyphant in the photo, did it? Him being tied up on 'Justified,' maybe they've recast that part, if he indeed shows up in next week's finale. I doubt he will. Anyway, that came about because Terry Brook approached Patty with that little tidbit about Frobisher possibly being a murderer. As Patty told Gates, Brook thought Frobisher hired a cop to commit a murder, and David Connor was the victim of that murder. Messer had reached out to Ellen last year saying he had intel about David's death, only he was killed before he could relay any info, said Ellen. He was worried about corruption in the department; he thought there was a coverup surrounding David's murder. Hmmm...

Patty's still dreaming about that damn horse. This time it's on a farm. There's a hole in the barn wall, and Patty is looking through it. Was that Uncle Pete? And then Patty freaked out when she saw that police horse on the street, saw her bloody feet, and threw up into a trash bin. There's either some deep, dark secret about Patty's childhood we'll learn next week, or she's just starting to lose it.

Tom set up an elaborate scheme to get Lenny to turn against the Tobins. I did not see this one coming, but shouldn't be too shocked. Tom's always been a straight-up guy, and even Patty appreciated the fact that he and Ellen set this up to protect her. "Tom was the one who leaked to the judge that he was invested with the Tobins," Ellen told Patty. "He wanted the world to think he'd cut ties with you so he could make a deal with Winstone, and it worked. Winstone's agreed to turn against the Tobins."

Joe still doesn't know that Tessa was his daughter.
And Marilyn told Lenny not to tell him, because "what's the point now?" Joe is pretty unstable; that might put him over the edge.

Lenny's father is such a good role model ... not. After getting the envelope of money from Lenny (which he'd gotten from Zedeck's attorney, who made the withdrawal), the old man said, "Just keep it comin' and your secrets are safe ... what do you say we buy ourselves a couple of whores. My treat." And Lenny replied, "I'll pass." You can see why Lenny is so screwed up. His dad had a long history of bank fraud, theft and forgery. I get how he was able to pose as Zedeck to make a bank withdrawal, but I'm still unclear as to how he even knew enough to do it.

Lenny's cat's out of the bag. The real Leonard Winstone died in a car accident shortly after graduating from law school. Lenny was arrested in 1984, and managed to steal Lenny's identity, I'm guessing with help from dear old dad.

What's up with the homeless guy?
Does he steal the money Lenny gave to Tom, then toss Tom off the bridge? That's my guess.

Jill played Patty like a deck of Vegas cards. She scammed $500,000 out of Patty, saying she'd hit the road and never look back. Instead, she bought a flashy new car and rented a posh pad for her and Michael and the baby. But it didn't ring true that Patty would never want any contact with her grandchild. You could tell that by the look on her face after she wrote the check to Jill.

Joe Tobin's fragile house of cards is crumbling. A whole lotta crap went down when Ellen took the papers about Lenny's fraud to Joe. Lenny was just kidding himself if he thought he was part of the Tobin family, to wit:

Lenny: "You didn't know your father the way I did. He trusted me with everything he kept secret from you. ... he needed me. He needed a son, and all you did was disappoint him. He knew he couldn't count on you."

Joe: "He trained you to do whatever he wanted. You know what he called you behind his back? He said you were his little monkey. If you ever come near my family again, you're finished."

Lenny thinks he's headed for easy street. He thinks he's got immunity from prosecution, if he gets Tom's investments back to him and provides names, contacts, enough to put the Tobin's away for life. "Joe Tobin is dangerous," Lenny told Tom. "You can be the hero. You can be the one to bring down the Tobin family when Patty Hewes couldn't."

And ... 3. Days. Later!!!!! Can't wait for the finale next week so we can get the scoop on that car with the Statue of Liberty and everything else! Any speculations about what will happen?

martin

Tom is the glue for the show. Patty is a sociopath and she has screwed up Ellen in the way that only a parent can, so that Ellen, in the sum of her choices, has crossed the moral line beyond what most people would choose. But Tom's dilemmas and choices seem the most normal. You can replace Ellen with another daughter to mess with, but if Tom goes away there is no other foil for Patty and you can't construct a new character who Patty will trust - Tom was with her for 10 years. So it's hard to see the show holding up without him. You wonder if they suspected it would be the last season when they decided to write Tom out.

April 17 2010 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Clara Escher

Some very intriguing comments here. it's hard for me to believe they would kill off Tom, the most likable/lovable character on the show. But our eyes can't deceive us even though I wish they could.
I hope Joe and his Mom get what's coming to them. I'd like to see them both do the perp walk.
I love the acting of the regulars and this seasons spectacular turns by Martin Short, Lily Tomlin and Keith Carradine. (I too wonder now if Keith plays a real character or is a figment of Patty's mind)
Wouldn't it be fantastic if one of the cable channels picked it up?

April 14 2010 at 6:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

I keep trying to remember if anyone other than Patty has seen the "architect" (Keith Carradine) - the fact that he appears on the horse in her visions and was "seen" by Patty at her apartment looking at the hole in the wall - I'm wondering if the character of the architect is in Patty's head.

I'm done guessing with this show as it is never as it appears which is why I love it and will miss it if it doesn't come back for another season, which seems likely. Sniff.

I have found the season hard to sit through because we knew from the beginning that Tom dies and I really like the character so much - it has made me squirm with some discomfort through all the episodes.

But, man, what a show.

April 13 2010 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
afg

That wasn't Uncle Pete on the horse - that was Keith Carradine. And Keith has been playing Julian Decker this season so that means that it was Patty's architect on the horse. Can't wait to find out what that all means.

April 13 2010 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

Was I the only one who noticed Wes in the finale preview?

And what the hell was Tom doing in the woods with a bloody ax in the flash forward to 3. DAYS. LATER? I rewatched that portion like 4 times and I'm still not sure what the hell is going on.

April 13 2010 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

Maybe the significance of the horse dreams is that the real reason for the death of Patty's daughter is that Patty accidently trampled her while horseback riding.

April 13 2010 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to George's comment
Saragee

or accidentally caused a miscarriage after horseback riding - Patty did look down at her feet to see blood dripping on them. Did it say on the headstone how old the daughter was when she died?

April 14 2010 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

Lenny had his father get the money for Tom to get immunity. But that may just be a setup for the grifter father and son. They may have other plans to score big and vanish.

So it looks like the homeless man has a key to Lenny's apartment where Tom is crashing, where did he get it? If he can get in, who else can as well? It appears that's where Tom dies.

On the plan Tom made to be a hero. Ellen told, maybe the detective or the wife weeks ago, in a forward jump, that they were working together. So it maybe true, but it does appear weak, especially when Tom approached Tessa out of control.

I'm guessing Patty wrote the check and never intended for it to be good. She stopped payment on it and the Jag and apartment will fall through. She wants to win and this is the means to again crush her enemy. Don't mess with Patty.

The car that crashed into Patty was the one Tom looked at online. We know it was registered to him. Did he need it because his wife left him or was his wife driving it, perhaps to get Patty. Did someone kill Tom and take the keys and then crash into Patty?

Joe Tobin maybe in serious trouble for crossing Zedick. He killed Tessa because he feared that she would turn on him. Well, Zedick may fear that Joe is too much of a loose cannon and take him out.

Winstone and Tom may also be found out and in danger from Zedick and/or Joe. It's all a mystery.

So how does Ellen's bloody bag and driver's license end up in the dumpster? Whose blood is on it? Who is this homeless man? Who falls off the bridge? I can't wait.

April 13 2010 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Anyone else have the belief that after all of this ends next week, Patty will offer Ellen a full partnership in the firm, so that it becomes "Hewes, Parsons, and Associates."

April 13 2010 at 8:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

Lenny's father would have know to pose as Zedeck because Lenny is turning on the Tobins. Lenny got his father to do what he does best, bank fraud.

April 13 2010 at 5:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marali

I'm confused about the "Tom Shayes as a Hero" story. The timeline doesn't add up to me because Tom would have had to leak the info to the judge before knowing Lenny was a fake. I assumed that was a tale he and Ellen (and Lenny) created AFTER the fact. I thought that was the deal Tom struck with Lenny, to be the hero, and that Tom would work with Ellen to lay it all out to Patty.

I can't freaking wait for what happens in the season finale. Even though I've known it all season, I just keep wishing that Tom didn't have to die.

April 13 2010 at 5:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to marali's comment
Jim

Hmmm ... interesting.

They could be playing Patty, because I never believed the "Ellen was covering for Tom" story anyway. They *both* approached Tessa; it all just happened to work out to their advantage.

Should be one hell of a finale!

April 13 2010 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply