August 23, 2014

'Glee' - 'Hell-o' Recap (Spring Premiere)

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 13th 2010 11:11PM
Glee_fox_matthew_morrison_idina_menzel
(S01E14)
Hello, indeed! 'Glee' is back, and Mr. Schuester declared that New Directions needed an exciting new re-introduction to vault them into the next level, regionals. After all the glory and greatness of winning sectionals, McKinley's glee club was back to basics, thanks to reality setting in -- slushees in the face again! -- as well as Figgins reinstating Sue, who renewed her attacks on Will.

If that sounds like a spoiler to you, you haven't been paying attention to the groundwork laid in the first thirteen episodes. For more on the latest from Ohio's little singing group that could, read on after the jump.

Carrying over the excitement from the sectionals, the "Don't Rain On My Parade" musical riff played all through the opening, but that didn't stop Kurt, Mercedes and Rachel from getting the slushees in the face from the cool kids. So much for glitterati.

The more things have changed, the more there are new issues with which to be dealt. Finn, for instance, is as confused as ever. "Hello, I Love You" was the Morrison song he chose to perform for Mr. Schu, but music is the only thing Finn has in control. He's flopping on the basketball court, and completely indecisive about his love life.

Finn's still hung up on Quinn, but when Rachel offers him a real boyfriend-girlfriend relationship, he honestly told her that he didn't want that. Then later, he did. Rachel's reaction to his rejection, initially, was like a scene from another Barbra Streisand movie, 'The Way We Were.' Rachel's revenge was achieved in song, naturally. "Gives You Hell" was an angry song, and all for Finn.

Mr. Schu's new direction with Emma didn't get beyond "Hello" from Neil Diamond. There was no way Will could have guessed that Emma's a virgin. Not like a virgin, the real thing. By the end of the episode -- and with Terri undermining Emma's faith in Will's fidelity -- Emma was recommending that Will spend some time unattached.

What Emma didn't know was that Will's too horny to remain unattached. Sneaking into the "Highway to Hell" rehearsal by Vocal Adrenaline, Will was attracted to his chorale counterpart, coach Shelby Corcoran, who dissed Will skillfully. No sooner was she telling Will about "the heart wants what the heart wants," and they were making out.

Since the first half of the season, Vocal Adrenaline has been lurking out there as New Directions' biggest obstacle. You knew when Jesse St. James peered over Rachel's shoulder and insulted her amazing performance of "Don't Rain on My Parade" at sectionals, it was trouble. Their performance of Lionel Richie's "Hello" was stellar. Jonathan Groff can really sing; and in this instance, he was reunited with Lea Michele, with whom he co-starred on Broadway in 'Spring Awakening.'

Once Rachel realized that her glee compatriots were forcing her to choose between Jesse and the club, she tried to find a way to have it all. That's pure Rachel Berry -- she wants everything, just like a Streisand movie character (she sings a song called "Everything" in 'A Star Is Born'!).

So Rachel proposed a secret 'Romeo and Juliet' romance with Jesse, once she was certain he wasn't going to break her heart. Unfortunately, he's already arranging to do just that. Shelby's pulling his strings and it's all about Vocal Adrenaline winning. When it comes to nefarious tactics, New Directions as a group is clueless.

Speaking of nefarious, if Vocal Adrenaline doesn't get to Will and his singers, Sue will. She used a little blackmail to get Figgins to reinstate her -- pseudo sexual congress -- but her goal is still to destroy Will and glee club at all costs. Her key is Rachel, because she is the star of the group and Sue knows it. And Figgins has laid down the law to Will about the glee club: place at regionals or New Directions is over.

Overall, romance, love and sex may be the death of New Directions. Maybe they all should be celibate until sectionals; that might solve a lot of problems.

Other Points of Interest

-- The Beatles' "Hello, Goodbye" was a good song for New Directions. Done in all black and white costumes, it may not have had the glitz of Vocal Adrenaline, but it was a better number. However, there was nothing black and white about the emotional turmoil on stage between Finn and Rachel.

-- Finn explained how Coach Tanaka pulled a Jessica Simpson; he lost his fiancée, gained 40 pounds and stopped showering.

-- Will has to learn how to edit. He blabbed to Shelby – of all people – about his private life. Making out is one thing, but don't give the competition all your Achilles' heels at once.

-- Terri returned to the house for her Jerry Bruckheimer DVDs, but used the opportunity to shake Emma to the core.

-- When comparing how stupid Brittany and Santana are compared to someone else, Sue recalled a girl who came before them: "I once taught a cheerleading seminar to a young Sarah Palin."

-- Inane Brittany line of the night: "Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?"

-- Sue's method to convince Rachel not to give up the chance at romance was "The McKinley High Old Maids' Club." Between the Weight Watcher drop-outs, nerds and girls with glasses, it was a motley crew. All that was missing was a full body brace.

-- All Sue's Old Maids spent Friday night watching 'Ghost Whisperer.'

[Check out 'Glee' episodes on SlashControl.]

Sigma982

Brittany rules. Period. And thankfully, she only has one or two random "Brittany-esque" lines....hopefully, it will stay that way, because they come WAY out of left field and get me every time. Hopefully, it won't be overdone like Sue's hair insults are starting to become.

April 15 2010 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aberdeen

Shouldn't that be 'Gleetterati'?

Yeah, sorry.

This episode practically gave me whiplash there were so many relationship changes. And, um, was there just one song too many o is it just me?

April 14 2010 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

As their White House appearance and their resumes show, the cast is perfectly capable of singing without auto-tune. The problem is that they have so little time to learn and rehearse new material, particularly now that the amount of music per show has been upped, they can't perfect a new song before it's time to record and film it. Hence the safety net so that expensive and time-consuming retakes can be avoided.

April 14 2010 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Leroy's comment
ashe

Glee is a good tv musical series, not bad, but not great either, an excellent escape for an hour for the night. Whats with all the bitching about the auto tuning, this isn't a live show or on stage broadway. have you ever listen to the radio and songs these days, its all about auto tuning and sythnesiers (sp?) or machines that mix in other tracks to a songs and voices to the track. And lets face it, it doesn't take any real talent to be a singer theses days, its all about selling an image about the singer. So if you dont like it, you have an option of not listening to it, because i will usually go back and hear the original song by the original artist. Love The Doors btw, my favorite song from them are "people are strange" and "riders on the storm", never got the attraction to the beatles though, they are okay.

April 14 2010 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lelolai

Last night's episode was just OK for me. Cory Montieth's singing was much better than usual in "Hello" by the Doors. I'm getting whiplash from Rachel's love interests. Every episode she's madly in love with someone else (Finn, Puck, Mr. Shu, etc), in this one she had 2 boyfriends. I know everyone worships Jonathan Groff, but it all happened too quick to make any sense. The Beatles song at the end was OK, but I can't stand Lea Michele's vocal acrobatics. She makes sure her voice stands out from everyone else's (she reminds me of Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey in that way). We know you can sing, but so can your other cast mates. And I also disagree with the previous poster, Diana Agron (Quinn) has a fantastic signing voice, but it's rarely featured. The Vogue video was so much better than this episode that I can't wait for next week.

April 14 2010 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Finn and Quinn broke up, right? I'm just wondering where she's living now.

April 14 2010 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joey grim

I thought last night's episode was fantastic, especially the song/harmony from Richie's song "Hello". Their voices together was unreal and started off this new season with a bang. Don't give up after one episode. Be patient and give an uplifting, funny and touching show a chance. Looking forward to next week!!

April 14 2010 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

I loved last night's episode... it was full of storyline but that's ok because it was just coming back and had to get people back into the groove... next week is the Madonna episode, pure fun! Can't wait for that... The Vogue video was a hoot!!

April 14 2010 at 7:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Garrett

I know this show is a guilty pleasure and not meant to be taken seriously... but I'm feeling less pleasure and more guilt for watching.

I agree with the other comments re: the poor acting, writing, and auto-tuning.

also, even in the most suspended-of-realities, there is no way in hell they're going to beat Vocal Adrenaline. if they do, I'm pretty sure I'm finished with the show.

April 14 2010 at 6:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j0phus

Now that the novelty has worn off, I think the show is gunna dwindle. They need to back off the auto-tuning, replace the Quinn character who can't act or sing, and back off the teacher's love sub-plot.

They've got the female lead right, rivalry, and supporting actors right though. I really hope they do something about the extreme over production of the voices though.

April 14 2010 at 3:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to j0phus's comment
malren

That is the fatal flaw of the show, the thing that pulls you out of the moment, the absolutely overprocessed singing. I totally realize it needs to be overdubbed, but does it have to be that bad?

April 14 2010 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

The auto-tune is painful. I watch Glee on Hulu while I am wasting time at work (got nothing better to do and there's only so much available on Hulu) and I find the show parts to be entertaining enough, but I skip past the songs unless they have some kind of plot development happening in the background.

The worst part of the Auto-Tuning craze that has hit these past 5 years is that moronic kids don't seem to realize that they aren't even listening to real voices.

If these kids are talented enough to be on Broadway (it takes plenty of talent, clearly they all have it) and to get a part in a Musical TV Show, wouldn't their voices be decent enough to allow them to actually sing?

To me it makes the entire show fall into that High School Musical world when it could be a respectable satire of the cliches of HS.

What I don't get is how the Auto-Tune craze even started. How was there even one person who said "you know what, I think this sounds better than an actual human voice"? If I wanted to listen to a synthesizer sing, I'd buy a speak-and-spell.

April 14 2010 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake G

Uugh, I just couldn't get back into Glee... Maybe it was the loooooong break or the music selection wasn't really something I cared for (The Beatles FTW)... but whatever.

Finding out Emma was still a virgin was... meh.

Maybe the Madonna episode next week will be more entertaining.

April 14 2010 at 12:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply