September 2, 2014

'The Young and the Restless' Takes A Bizarro Turn

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 13th 2010 1:01PM
tracey_bregman_young_and_the_restlessLast Friday on 'The Young and the Restless,' the big reveal -- other than Adam being dead and everyone at the Genoa City Athletic Club was a suspect -- was that the person who had abducted Lauren and locked her in a cage was... Lauren!

What? Okay, it wasn't really Lauren. It was somebody who looked just like Lauren. But who the hell was she? We were left to wonder in our TV Squad weekly recap.

The first guess was that somehow, some way, the Lauren look-alike was Sheila Carter. Even though Sheila, Lauren's arch enemy, is dead... or she's supposed to be dead... could it be that she's not dead? Well, no, no, no. That's not it. 'Y&R' wouldn't stoop to that plot device. At least not this time.

Instead, this week we found out that the woman with Lauren's face who's not actually Lauren is Sarah Smythe. And who is Sarah Smythe and why does she want to put Lauren in a cage and treat her like a criminal? Wait for it... Okay, here it is. Sarah is Sheila's sister!

Sheila never had a sister before, at least not one that viewers knew about, but according to current head writer Maria Arena Bell, Sarah has always been living in Sheila's shadow. In fact, because Sheila Carter had been so obsessed with destroying Lauren -- a vendetta that lasted for years and years -- Sheila dumped her twin babies, Daisy and Ryder, on Sarah. Sarah was forced to be a mother to Sheila's children and her own life was forfeited for her sister.

In an interview with TV Guide's Michael Logan, actress Tracey Bregman -- who plays Lauren and Sarah -- the latter is out for revenge. "She's finally as powerful as Sheila was. Sarah's initial goal is to make Lauren suffer by taking her place in her world, and letting her know it. But pretty soon that doesn't become enough for her."

This is all getting just too too bizarro for most fans. After all, the writers are asking us to swallow quite a lot. For starters, Sheila had a sister. Then Sheila's sister has had this wondrous plastic surgery to become a dead ringer for Lauren. Really? Is the doctor a magician? Also, who's financing this evil plot and why? And then there's Daisy and Ryder, the evil spawn twins of Sheila and Tom Fisher. Who knew that evil was a genetic marker?

If there was just one surgically-altered evil twin on 'Y&R' right now, that would be a stretch, but the show currently has two! There's already the Patty Williams assuming the life of Dr. Emily Petersen, right down to the dyed hair and fake psychiatric diploma.

It's such a leap into inanity that fans are freaking out. Here's an email I received today: "Two storylines about evil women having plastic surgery to impersonate others? C'mon! This is getting completely ridiculous. I think the writers must be having some serious writer's block. I'm really disappointed and completely turned off by it right now -- after 20 years of watching this show."

Will fans actually check out or is this just the type of story line that'll get fans tuning in to see what's next? Let us know what you think.

linda

My name is not Linda. Way too many babies and children on Y and R. I don't watch many soaps for this very reason. If y'all would leave so much of that gooey, silly stuff out, more people than bored housewives might watch.

January 21 2011 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

OMG!!! I think it is great that Victoria married Billy - how funny. I think it is about time a Newman married an Abbot, and how come it has never been done before. I love it! Finally, Y and R is getting a little meat. I want them to solve the Adam murder soon. I am guessing he planted the bomb and planned to get out, but something happened.

May 14 2010 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
harry

If you want your ratings to go up, get rid of your current writers. Kill Patty Cake and all look alikes. Make the story happy for the cast and viewers instead of all the bad things that just could not happen in real life. Give Jack some time with the real Emily and let Kevin have Jenna back.

May 09 2010 at 2:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to harry's comment
brenda

My husband and I have watched this for many years but not anymore...when Shelia in any form came back.I kissed it good bye...How sick the story line became. Do you think viewers are that far out that they want that in their lives...get a new job....

May 09 2010 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

I have watched YandR since the first episode, I have never seen it this crazy. Do they have new writers that just don't understand??? What is going on with this show. If it is the writers from the writer's strike writing this, please, bring back the originals. This show has become stupid. Adam, talking from the grave. Give me a break. How stupid can you be?????

May 08 2010 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

Thank God they have brought the Lauren/Sara story to an end. Now if they would just bring the Emily/Patty story to an end.

May 04 2010 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sandy

O.K. your plots are getting old. How many times are you going to "play" the look alike,Phyllis,Patty and now Loren. Can not the writers come up with something fresh?

April 30 2010 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sandy's comment
Kathy

So true Sandy

May 01 2010 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

I have watched Y&R since the first episode. I like the storyline. Since when does a soap have to be believable?
still a fan. watch everyday

April 29 2010 at 2:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

OMG! Carol, I so agree with you.

April 27 2010 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

Please GOD! bring this stupid Lauren imposter thing to an end. I am also sick of the Patty impersonation thing too!!

April 27 2010 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

Are the writers off their meds or something? The plastic surgery stuff has always been a stretch to credulity but now to have two characters at the same time who've had face, body, and voice duplications is just plain insulting to viewers. Might as well have everybody taken over by aliens. Bring on the pod people. This used to be my favorite soap. Now I watch it only every now and then and wonder why I bothered. Get some new writers in quick or this is another soap on its way down the toilet.

April 27 2010 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply