'American Idol' - 'Two of 9 Voted Off' Recap

by Kona Gallagher, posted Apr 14th 2010 11:22PM
American Idol top 9
After Big Mike's dramatic save last week, this show is being set up to be super-intense. Not only have the judges used their only save, but as the title indicates, two people are going home. But before that, we need a lot of filler. We have performances by Brooke White and Adam Lambert, which wow -- I enjoyed Brooke when she was on the show, but I can honestly say I haven't thought of her since.

We don't start off the show with any of this. Instead, we start off with the longest Elvis medley ever. It was so long, in fact, that I'm pretty sure they sang every single Elvis song ever written, four songs written by Elvis impersonators, and a verse from "Allison," just to round things out a little bit.

The Ford commercial was up next, and it involved two things: The Polyphonic Spree and the Idols singing in the middle of the road. These commercials are invariably boring, but just seeing them singing in the road made me giggle, just thinking about how hilariously that could go wrong.

We have our first batch of eliminations, and they're switching it up a bit by not having people from the same row stand up. Instead, Ryan has Aaron, Casey and Andrew come onto the stage. Ryan goes on a little bit, but doesn't really mince words, instead getting right to the point:

Casey James: SAFE
Aaron Kelly: SAFE
Andrew Garcia: OUT

Well, based on our poll, you guys had Andrew and Aaron going home. You're half right, and I have to say that out of the two, I would have liked to see Aaron go; I really don't get him. However, I can't say I'm surprised to see Andrew go. He's been living on borrowed time for a while now.

After the break, we get a segment about Kara and Elliot Yamin going to Africa on behalf of 'Idol Gives Back.' There are a few important things about this:
  • Elliot looks kind of hot with the big floppy hair that he had in the 2008 video.
  • Kara wears tube tops to do charity work at construction sites
  • Someone should probably check her house, because I'm pretty sure she stole a baby or two.
Brooke White and Justin Gaston make an appearance and sing a duet. I had absolutely no idea who this Justin Gaston kid was, other than the fact that he looks exactly like Colin Farrell's character in 'Crazy Heart.' Turns out he's a singer/model who came in 10th on Nashville Star and dated Miley Cyrus. They sang 'If I Can Dream,' which isn't a super-well-known Elvis song, but they did an amazing job with it. I always loved Brooke, but she hasn't done a lot since her 'Idol' days -- perhaps this will give her a little boost.

Next up, Ryan has the entire bottom row join him on the stage. This group includes Lee DeWyze, Siobhan Magnus, Katie Stevens, Michael Lynche, Crystal Bowersox and Tim Urban.

Crystal Bowersox: SAFE
Siobhan Magnus: SAFE
Lee DeWyze: SAFE

First of all, how awful was it when Ryan made Lee walk with him across the stage? Secondly, the bottom three is Big Mike, Katey and Tim. Wouldn't it be terrible/hilarious if Big Mike got sent home again? I have a feeling it's going to be Katie though -- isn't it about her time?

Before we find out, Adam Lambert is performing his new single, 'What Do You Want From Me.' The amount that he's matured as a singer and performer just in the year since he was on 'Idol' is really impressive. He was always good, but he rarely had it completely together. This performance, however, made him seem as though he's been on the scene for years.

Now, it's time for the final results of the night:

Tim Urban: SAFE
Michael Lynche: SAFE
Katie Stevens: OUT

So Katie's going home, which isn't a huge surprise. She goes out singing 'Let it Be,' which is a great choice, as that song was by far her best performance, and she kills it again tonight. It's also cute how sad Siobhan and Crystal are to see her go.

Are you sad to see Katie go? If so, who do you think should have gone home this week?

Leroy

There's a story out today that Crystal was considering leaving the show and Ryan talked her out of it. Perhaps that is connected with her not being in the Ford "video".

April 16 2010 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
am_hollitz

I don't even need to see the next few weeks...

1) Eliminate Aaron (too young)
2) Eliminate Big Mike [too "R&B" (i.e., too black)]
3) Eliminate Tim (just plain bad, in a off-keyed Plain White Tees douchebaggy kinda' way.)

Finale: Crystal, Siobhan, Lee, Casey

Winner: Lee (Because he sounds like every other 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, Daughtry-esque performer that's on the radio right now.)

Runner Up: Crystal (Because the eccentric who "knows themself from the very beginning" ALWAYS comes in 2nd.)

Top 4 Post-Season career:

Casey: cuts a minorly successful single in the same vein as Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend" then goes back to the endless bar circuit.

Siobhan: Goes back on her meds and becomes an accountant or a fashion designer or maybe both?

Crystal: Makes an album containing 8 tracks (two of which are covers), does one spotty 12-city tour to support it, gets preggers/has a miscarriage half-way through and drops out of music altogether

Lee: Cuts an album of generic Daughtry reject tunes; makes a couple of embarassing public appearences at Wal-Mart grand openings and disappears into obscurity within 9 months.

April 15 2010 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

I think Michael Lynche should be worried. His support is very fluid and linked to whether he sings well or not. When he sang bad two weeks ago he was in the bottom and this week he sang well and was not in the bottom.
Unlike Siobhan who made it despite singing bad.

April 15 2010 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

Seeing Adam Lambert on last night's episode made me sad that this year's caliber of contestants doesn't seem even remotely near that of last year...but with that said, I think the results were pretty fair - Andrew has deserved to go for a while, and Katie was not going to win (if we're going to be honest with ourselves). I don't this week changes much up, with the big exception of Tim Urban...power rankings for this week: http://thesmogger.com/2010/04/15/idol-hangover-the-lucky-7/

April 15 2010 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sjackson

Ryan should have been sent packing.

April 15 2010 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

April 15 2010 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I think the right people went home this week. I think Andrew has been treading water for a long time, and has been a huge disappointment this season. I doubt he'll have much success in the music industry in the future, but I wish him luck. And as for Katie, I think she did make improvements week to week, and will definitely gain the much needed stage experience on the Idol's tour this summer. If she's packaged right, I can see her hitting the charts at some point, so I wish her luck also!

I think Big Mike, Aaron and Tim have to have a BIG night next week in order to escape elimination, because I truly believe that Crystal, Casey, Lee and Siobhan (*needs a good week!) are this season's Top 4 contestants.

April 15 2010 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

Anyone else notice that Crystal was not in the Ford video this week?

April 15 2010 at 9:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mark's comment
Ladybug

Yes I did notice that. I wonder what gives with that? Someone let us know.

April 15 2010 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

"[Adam] was always good, but he rarely had it completely together."

Really?!?

"[Katie] goes out singing 'Let it Be' ... and she kills it again tonight."

Really?!?

Kona, your credibility is in serious doubt.

April 15 2010 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Jim's comment
NightOwl

Andrew was the obvious choice to go home, but it was a toss up between Aaron and Katie, in my opinion. I like Aaron a little better than Katie because I like his voice better and his confidence for such a young guy. He wont be around much longer though. It seemed that he might have been sick last night and performance night because he was more subdued than usual and just looked like he felt kind of blah.
Andrews performances never lived up to the quality of his voice and he could have been sent home in any of the past several weeks and it would have been justified. Now he can go on to pursue his true calling as a Kim il Jong impersonator.
I figured Adam Lambert would be a good mentor and he did do a great job. Adam seems like such a sincere person and he if very smart and insightful about the way he approaches and prepares for his performances. He gave the contestants good, honest advice while being supportive. And his interaction with Ryan seemed relaxed and easy going, unlike some mentors who seem that they are just going through the motions and arent really engaged in what they are doing.
One final thought, we have now had Beatles week and Elvis week. To me, it seems like the Beatles songs have held up much better over the years than have those from Elvis. It may be because the Beatles wrote a lot of really great songs and many of the songs Elvis had hits with wouldnt have been hits if it hadnt been for him.

April 15 2010 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply