October 21, 2014

Six Questions I Want 'Lost' to Answer Before It Ends

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 14th 2010 4:54PM
Lost
As last night's episode of 'Lost' showed, this season really is giving us a lot of answers. And even if the show isn't giving us all the answers we want/need, at least we can now feel a forward momentum driving us towards the end. There are only five episodes of the show left, can you believe it?

The show can't possibly answer all of the questions, small and big, that have come up since the show started in 2004. I think they'll answer enough of them for most fans, but you and I both know that 37 seconds after the season finale ends, some people are going to go online and complain. That was a lame ending! They didn't even answer the question I wanted them to answer! I wasted six years for this?!

I won't be one of those people. They've answered the question of the numbers enough for me, and several other mysteries don't bother me. Unless the show ends in a WTF 'Sopranos' fade-out, I'll just go with what the writers give us. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't want some questions answered:

1. What is the island? This is the big question, right? Although I have some problems with Jacob touching everyone and bringing them to the island and causing them so much pain supposedly under the guise of "good," the show seems to be a good vs. evil battle between Jacob and Smokey. The "candidates" were brought to the island to see who would replace Jacob. How this will happen remains to be seen, but the larger question is what is the island?

Last night Michael said that the dead people are the ones providing the whispers we've been hearing since the show began. They can't move on. That sounds rather Purgatory-ish, but didn't Cuse and Lindelof at some point say that it wasn't? Maybe it's a spaceship and there are aliens involved or maybe it's just, you know, an island. Albeit one with a giant frozen wheel that can make it disappear.

Chances this will be answered: Excellent.

2. Who are the skeletons? No, they're not Nikki and Paolo. I have no idea who the skeletons in the cave are. Since we've jumped back and forth in time so many times and it's hard to keep track of who was in what year and why, there really haven't been any big clues. A lot of fans think the skeletons are Rose and Bernard.

Chances this will be answered: Excellent.

3. What happened to Rose and Bernard? We know where Rose is in the alternate timeline, but where are she and Bernard on the island? Didn't we see them last a while back, older and living happily in the woods? I think Rose and Bernard have always been supporting players, but they're supporting players that also happen to be two of the biggest fan favorites on the show.

Chances this will be answered: Excellent.

4. What's up with Walt, Aaron, and Christian? Locke tried to get him to go back to the island, but he was busy with school and his life. He's older now, but we need to find out what his part was in all of this. Why did the guys on the boat want him? Why could he see certain things, why/how did he visit Locke after Locke was shot by Ben, etc.

We've seen Michael now, but no Walt. Will the writers just assume that fans will be happy that the last time we saw the kid explains his story? And what about Aaron? He was major before but now he just seems to be a "Claire is going to kill Kate because she raised her kid" plot point.

Chirstian Shepard? Still not exactly sure what happened with him. Still dead? Taken over by the Smoke Monster? A ghost?

Chances this will be answered: Fair.

5. What's the whole story with Ben Linus and Charles Widmore? We know what happened decades ago and we know that they're enemies. But what exactly is their battle about and what does Widmore intend to do with the island? Is Widmore actually good because he wants to get rid of the Smoke Monster or is that just part of the plan? How does Eloise fit into all of this? And Annie?

I know a lot of this has been answered already, but I need more, because I think this is one of the more interesting aspects of the show.

Chances this will be answered more thoroughly: Very good.

6. What is the sickness? Sayid has it and it looks like Claire has it too. What is it exactly and how do you get it/get rid of it?

Chances this will be answered: Good.

I think if we went back and watched the entire series again, we'd see 3000 inconsistencies. So hopefully fans will be just accept what happens and enjoy the overall story. What's the big question you want answered?

schof1212

Lindelof: It's like when you spend time with a 3-year-old, you quickly find out that one question just begets another - there's a "why" in the wake of every "why" - and the only way to end the conversation is to say, "Oh look, a Chuck E. Cheese!" The show is doing its best to say, "Oh look, Chuck E. Cheese!" For example, we've now given the viewers as much as we're willing to say about the numbers, and we're moving on.

April 30 2010 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to schof1212's comment
schof1212

Nothing else about the numbers then.

April 30 2010 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

If any fans want to watch prior episodes of Lost online, I just found out that AXN Asia is showing previous seasons. Time to get nostalgic before The End arrives!

April 30 2010 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JohnSmith

I just want to know why Hugo calls himself "Hurley," for God's sake!

April 27 2010 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan

I'm going to make a bold prediction... Lost is going to wrap around back on itself. The collision between the timeline and the sideways verse is what brought the plane down S01E01.

April 20 2010 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

What question do I want answered: Why did I waste so much time watching the first 3 seasons of this show?, and why did it take me that long to swear off it?

April 20 2010 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jose

Here is something to ponder....what ever happened to Farraday when he was on a quest to find 'The Constant'?? The whole concept, which a considerable amount of time was devoted to, has gradually been erased from the show's storyline. I realize what Juliette started by causing the atomic bomb to go off but to just veer away from the whole 'Constant' premise just resulted in another mindless plot.

April 18 2010 at 2:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brooke

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Lost creators got way too crazy with some of the previous seasons' smoke and mirrors and now they've really backed themselves into a wall in terms of coming up with quality answers that aren't horribly inconsistent.

I don't expect to have every question answered to my satisfaction because that would be impossible. You can't please everyone. However, I'm going to be pretty annoyed if they blow off a bunch of things because they were simply too difficult to explain in the context of the show's "end."

Distraction can be a very powerful storytelling tool but it should never be abused. I'm beginning to feel that they took it and us viewers for granted.

I hope I'm wrong because I've been a huge fan since episode 1 but I can easily come up with a list of 50+ things that I can't see them ever explaining.

April 16 2010 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brooke's comment
lmfsyrny

Brooke, i think your theory is spot on

April 16 2010 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hugeliver

@Paul
Ohhhhh...the WRITERS said it happened afterwards. Well, as long as the WRITERS just TELL us what happen and not actually show us, then it's all good. Maybe they can have a Cliff's Notes for LOST.

Just kidding. Thanks for the clarification.

April 16 2010 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Delko

want to see the Henry Gale story? What? too late for that?

And

What happened to the dog, vincent, on the show? Would also be a really cool jump the shark ep. seeing a whole ep thru his eyes. It could be shot from about 3' off the ground.

April 16 2010 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan Bruck

Why haven't we seen "Zeke?"(Sawyer's name for him) in all of the jumping forward/backward through time? He seemed like a big part of the Others. I kind of thought 1970s Dharma Sawyer was going to turn into him.

April 16 2010 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply