July 29, 2014

'V' - 'John May' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 14th 2010 5:18AM
V, John May
(S01E07) "Let them have this one victory, because I'm about to deliver them a thousand defeats." - Anna, before she sinks into the shiny pool with her little eggs.

Hells bells, Ryan may be a good guy now, but he wasn't always that way. In fact, he was pretty nasty back in the day. When he and the gang went to track down John May's communication device, Ryan spilled the beans to John's stepson James about what really happened ten years earlier. John May's suicide note was a fake.

Oh, and by the way, James, that girl you're hanging out with? Under that human skin, she looks like the Vaal from the planet Gamma Trianguli VI on 'Star Trek.' Hmmm...

We also learned quite a bit about the mysterious John May, including the fact that he was the first V to turn against Anna, and now every time his name is mentioned, it's like a dagger stabbed into her reptilian heart. And as mentioned, John's suicide note was a fake. In reality, Ryan killed him. That came as a blow to both James and Erica et al. What else is the team hiding (*cough* Kyle *cough*)?

Anna seems to be showing some tension, doesn't she? Maybe it's because she's gestating a whole bunch of baby aliens. It probably does a number on her alien hormones. She's also a little freaked that Chad is getting closer to the truth and her particular choices for the live-aboard program. She can't pass off the "John May Lives" hacking as a glitch in the system of old codes. He's not that dumb, although he's sort of dumb if he thinks working with Anna will help to further his career. No good can come of it. She can't be trusted. Not one bit.

Oy, I just want to smack Tyler. This "thing" -- get over it, she's not that pretty underneath her meat suit, Tyler -- has worked her reptilian feminine wiles on him, and now he's turned against his parents. What a dork. What do you think is up with his real parentage? Did the doctors do a number on Erica by saying Joe wasn't Tyler's dad, when in fact, he is? I wonder what that's all about. She certainly seems convinced that Joe is his dad.

The jig is up for Ryan, after Val found his secret safe. And really, Ryan? You hide a giant safe behind a flimsy wall? What kind of alien are you anyway? Anyway, she's figured out by now that the bun in her oven will come in handy on St. Patrick's Day.

Oh, Georgie. It didn't have to be that way. They could have gotten you out of there. But you lasted longer than most, what with those pesky scours rattling through your body and the awful memories of the V who killed your family. The whole toast to Georgie at the end seemed a little cheesy, but I'll go with it, because the storyline makes me want to know what happens next.

Another great episode directed by Jonathan Frakes. And I'm sort of in love with Charles Mesure, who plays Kyle Hobbes.

imisspaty

"Come Down Easy" by the band Mere Mortals

May 13 2010 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tri

Saw Brannon Braga in the opening credits, enough said.

;-)

April 17 2010 at 4:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nix

Who sings?
What is the song?

when you come down
come down easy
let your heart slide through the floor
I need something to believe in
I don't need this pain no more

saw the writings in the city
i go marching all of the crowd
"somethingsomething" lay traps for troubadours
"somethingsomething" always with yourself

April 16 2010 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

Erica still doesnt know Lisa is a V, right?

April 15 2010 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arpan

TV squad I also am sort of in love with Charles Mesure, who plays Kyle Hobbes.... ; )

April 15 2010 at 4:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

John May is a cylon

April 15 2010 at 3:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

While I'm not that interested in the Kyle and Lisa story, I'm intrigued by Kyle's paternity. I don't think it was a plan by the V's, at least not Anna as she would have told this to Lisa a long time ago since Kyle is for some reason important to the V's plan.

April 15 2010 at 12:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tv junkie

i know the producers wanted to put focus on Erica and Anna being mothers and wanting to protect their children and stuff, but oh my gosh, why can't they see Tyler and Lisa are dragging the show down!?
I'm so sick of them, the cliche teenage rebellious son, the you-all-lied-to-me fluff (who cares if the guy's not your father!!? unless it's got something to do with lizards.) Alien hottie should be more interesting than just a manipulating girlfriend. the cringe worthy performances by those two made me want to hit the fast forward button whenever they show up. boring!
Either kill off Tyler (a long time ago, say, during the Pilot?) or whisk him off to the mothership so Erica has more motivation. if Tyler and Lisa are part of the big picture, hybrid baby or not, they better integrate those plots ASAP before it's canceled.

April 14 2010 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

Could Erica have been visited by the V before she gave birth to Tyler, changing his dna/blood type? Therefore the special interest/treatment of Tyler as a "friend" of the V and Anna's daughter!

April 14 2010 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Ian - I wondered about that, too. Do we really know that John May is dead for sure? I'm thinking no, but if that's the case, why would Ryan say that? Could he and John be somehow working together separate from everything else that's going on? Has there been some major reference to that I've missed?

And Ruben - Agree on Samuel T. Anders. If he's not alive and well and working undercover somewhere, I'll be disappointed.

April 14 2010 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply