April 23, 2014

An Open Letter to TV Land About the TV Land Awards

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 15th 2010 11:19AM
Peter BoyleDear TV Land,

I'm very excited about the 'TV Land Awards' that will air on April 25 at 9PM. I'm a big fan of retro television (and Retro Television), and I like seeing a lot of stars both old and new get all dressed up and come together for a night of fun, craziness, and award-giving. Tim Allen as host? Great! You're going to honor Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari from 'Bosom Buddies?' Fantastic! A salute to 'Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks?' Outstanding!

I'm particularly excited about this year's show because from the promos I've seen, it looks like you're going to re-animate the dead.

Robert CulpHonestly, I thought I had seen the last of 'Everybody Loves Raymond' cast members Peter Boyle and Robert Culp when they, you know, died. But it's great to see that they're going to be on stage with Ray Romano, Patricia Heaton, Brad Garrett, Doris Roberts, and the rest of the cast. That's what it looks like anyway in that promo you're currently running, the one that talks about a special award that will be given to the sitcom during the telecast. You show a picture of the entire cast, including Boyle and Culp, and the announcer says "everyone is going to be there!"

Look, I have zero experience when it comes to medicine, unless you count the medication I take for my high blood pressure and the many episodes of 'ER' I've seen. And I have zero experience with autopsies and re-animation, but I'm very curious as to how you're going to get Boyle and Culp on stage. Will it be their mummified bodies, wheeled out by Allen on a dolly? Will they be taken over by something else a la Locke on 'Lost?' Will Boyle and Culp simply appear via satellite from heaven (I'm assuming)?

Seriously, both are dead. It's true! Boyle died in 2006 and Culp died a couple of weeks ago. I assume you at least heard about the latter story since it was pretty recent. By the way, 'I Spy' is on the above-mentioned Retro Television every night. You should check it out.

If Boyle and Culp aren't going to be there, can I make a suggestion? Just tweak the promo a bit and take that cast photo out of it. I'm sure you can find a photo that just includes, you know, living cast members. I suppose you could still show the photo in the commercial, but then you'd have to change what the announcer says to something like "And the surviving cast members of 'Everybody Loves Raymond' will receive a special award," but I realize that would sound awkward.

Anyway, keep up the good work! I'm just happy that you're going to interrupt the endless marathons of 'The Nanny' and 'Roseanne' to air the awards show. I'm especially looking forward to the 700 commercials for 'First Love, Second Chance' that will run during the show. And get crackin' on next year's TV Land Awards. Dixie Carter is going to look just radiant when you reunite the 'Designing Women' cast on stage.

Gary G. Toms

The Honeymooners: Ralph Kramden & Rosa Parks

Cast of Characters Would've Denounced Racism

A special and powerful tribute article to "The Honeymooners", Jackie Gleason and Rosa Parks.

Enjoy!

"The G-Man"

April 18 2010 at 7:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alessandro Machi

What is hard to understand? The point is you can't say everybody will be there if some have passed.

I was trying to figure out what the compromise might be for the promo that is being shown on TV LAND. It is definitely a puzzle and it definitely is questionable to say someone recently deceased (even a few years ago is recently deceased) will be appearing.

Unless TVLAND has an archive tape of the entire cast being honored that they will be showing, I don't see how they can honor the promo's claim.

April 17 2010 at 2:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jerome Victory

I agree with the comments that consider this post in poor taste. I believe it was meant to be humorous but to many it would appear you are poking fun at the dead, rather than sticking it to TVLand which I believe was your actual intention.

I do hope, that the show does take into consideration how well loved Robert Culp was and does some sort of tribute to him. He was one of the greats and should be treated as such.

April 16 2010 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna

Wow! And I thought I was having a bad day.

April 15 2010 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steven M

I don't like these sarcastic news posts. Maybe this site needs a filter, so we don't need to see the sorts of things we aren't interested in.

I suggest this article be put into "bizarely aggressive rants about nothing" section. There has been more and more "funny" news items like this, but this isn't what I like about Tv Squad at all.

April 15 2010 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

Huh?

Did someone actually preview this and think it was a good idea or funny or edgy? Look, I'm not at all offended or anything, I just honestly don't understand the point of this article.

April 15 2010 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barry Greenberg

Bob:

I truly hope you'll watch our show. As producers we've set out to make magic happen every single year, and I believe we've succeeded seven times. We accept your challenge and hope you'll tune in to see the surprises on the 8th Annual TV Land Awards....Sunday, April 25th.

Barry M. Greenberg
Talent Producer
8th Annual TV Land Awards

April 15 2010 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

I find this article to be in VERY poor taste. Robert Culp and Dixie Carter just very recently passed, and to talk about "autopsies, re-animation and mummified bodies" is downright disrespectful. What if a family member were to read this? Would you say such crass and morbid things in their presence? Have you no respect at all for the grieving process? Think about that the next time you write some "tongue-in-cheek" article about deceased people, particularly ones who died so recently! Shame on you!

April 15 2010 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Axel Harris

I'm confused, is this whole post a sarcastic rant at tv land about the whole concept of an awards show and its channel-drift? Or do you actually enjoy the channel somewhat and are just a bit miffed at this particular issue involving the dead?

April 15 2010 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply