October 1, 2014

'Bones' - The Death of the Queen Bee' Recap

by Rich Keller, posted Apr 15th 2010 11:28PM

Brennan goes to her high school reunion on the latest episode of 'Bones'
(S05E17) Okay, boys and girls, here's the deal...

For some reason unbeknownst to me, my Stupid DVR (name brand) did not record this week's installment of 'Bones.' This, despite the fact that I set it up as a series recording. Of course, I can blame it on the kids, but that wouldn't be fair to them (I need to save that blame for when I do something stupid).

Until I can catch the episode on the Interwebs, I'm going to leave this post open for you, the wonderful and caring readers of TV Squad, to comment on the show. Let us know how you felt about this post-'I love you, but we're just friends' episode of the series, and if you think their new relationship will actually work until they eventually fall passionately into each others' arms sometime around season 33.

You can also let me know if the same mystery DVR loss has ever happened to you. That'll make me feel a little bit better.

(Update: You can now see the review after the jump)

Having Temperance return to her old high school to solve a murder was a fun trip. Not only did we get to see how the rest of her class saw Tempy during her formative years, but we also came to the realization that she was probably the sanest person there. So what if she spent her time cutting up animals and hanging out with the janitor! In the end she turned out more well-adjusted and more successful than any of the rejects that shunned her.

When you think about it, this happens a lot in real life. How many times have you met someone that you virtually ignored while in high school that became a large success. Why is this? They didn't spend needless time looking for approval from others or trying to fit in. They just did what they did and were happy about it. This seems to be the way Temperance spent her teenage years. Lonely? Definitely! However, she now has friends that do truly care about her.

Though I knew who the killer was already from the comments you posted over the last few days, I still never figured Robert Englund's character as the killer. Englund was the stereotypical creepy janitor -- not crazy enough to kill someone, but just strange enough to make people think he did. I would probably put him somewhere between Groundskeeper Willie of 'The Simpsons' and The Janitor of 'Scrubs' on the creepy scale. That's even with all of the sharp cutting objects hanging on his walls. Did you see Tempy's classmates? Hell, everyone was as freaky as him!

Well, not as freaky as the girl who murdered Evelyn. A pact to share a guy that involves killing anyone else who dates him? Sounds like the basis for a Lifetime movie. As some of you mentioned in the comments, the murder suspect was pretty easy to spot once we knew Brad was married to Evey and how much Julie fawned over him. Plus, her smile was just too fake. The only question I have is if she actually ate the ribs she cut off Evelyn's body or shaved them down to bone powder in the shop.

A final thought before moving over to the Jeffersonian. While the moments surrounding Robert Englund's character of Mr. Buxley hearkened back to his days as the fedora-wearing Freddie Kruger, it was really the first scene of the episode that was a direct homage to Friday the 13th' movie series. The two girls on the blanket ready to experiment, the camera looking at them from the horse posts, the strange sounds followed by the seemingly-alive, maggot infested skull...substitute barn for cabin in the woods and the two teenagers with a teenager in the shower, and you have the setup for every movie in the series!

Back to the Institute. Poor Wendell! Did he ever think he would really have a chance with Angela? There's no doubt he's a good man, and he is becoming one of my favorite interns, but he's too damn chivalrous! That's fine for Angela when she's accepting money to save whatever animal it was that led her to kiss Wendell the first time, but not when the possibility of having a child hangs in the air. At that point, she needs someone more direct. Which, in this case, was Hodgins, who bluntly replied that he was her man to raise that child.

Attention now turns back to Hodgins and Angela as the 'Will they or won't they?' question rears its ugly head once again. My initial reaction is yes, because they fit together as a couple so well. It's just a matter of when they will get back together. Unless there's a resolution to the Bones-Booth romance in the next few weeks, there's a good chance Angela and Hodgins will hook up sooner. Then, we'll have some closure on at least one romance!

Pamela

"I know Booth and Bones can't get together because it will make the show too weird..."

Absolutely not. It would be a great shame to waste such writing talent & great chemistry if they failed to bring those two characters together. I would be a VERY disappointed fan.

April 19 2010 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucycaruso

The first scene with booth and bones fell flat for me... they didn't even mention last episode which was incredibly annoying.
Their dance was cute but like someone said Booth did want to be in a relationship and he said something about opening a door and not wanting to go through it... liar!
Lastly i'm pretty excited at the prospect of Angela and Hodgens getting together again let's hope it happens :D

April 19 2010 at 4:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zita

A bit OT but I can't hold it... All of you remember Robert Englund as Freddy Krueger... None of you remember him as sweet Willie (the innocent, good Visitor) in 1983's "V"?

April 16 2010 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to zita's comment
wulfn1

I remember!

April 17 2010 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

Since the killer only cut off the ribs as part of her plan to blame the murders on a local folk legend, I doubt she actually barbecued them but was careful to dispose of them far from the bodies.

As to the townspeople not knowing about Bones' books, I'd suggest that:

1) They didn't strike me as people likely to do much reading.

2) They couldn't even remember her by name or face. She was nothing but "that creepy girl" in their memories, so even if they had heard of the books, they wouldn't associate them with anyone they knew.

April 16 2010 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

I found it so odd that only the janitor knew she was a best selling author.

I have never been to a reunion (my middle name is apathy) but wouldn't a "where are they now" sort of thing be done? My mother went to her 50th a couple of years ago and they had a booklet listing all of the classmates and what they had done since graduation.

I have gotten to the point where I can tune out most product placement but the Sienna ad a couple of weeks ago was just impossible to ignore.

April 16 2010 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dan Chichian's comment
Gina

They never liked her and probably never gave her another thought after she left. Do you really remember the name of the social outcast from high school?

April 16 2010 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

I thought this was a good episode and wasn't sure what to expect after last week. Yes, they did kind of wrap it up quickly but I thought it was interesting how they worked through the list of suspects-- although as soon as I saw that blond chick-- I knew she was up to something. What did Mr. Buxley say...something about her being too smiley??

I'm glad that for all accounts, Bones and Booth were able to hold it together although Booth did put some distance b/t them (literally leaving room for the holy spirit- he so went to Catholic school). BUT, wasn't he the one who came up with the fact that they were married???? I mean sure, what else was he supposed to pick but really....married? And when he said that "they opened a door door that neither of one of them wants to walk through'-- what a lie! They both want to open the door and walk through it but she's scared and he's hurt but still in love. But being the good guy that he is and being that he is in love with her, he pulled her in close when she said that it was "the prom that she never got to go to". So sweet and slightly heartbreaking at the same time.

April 16 2010 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy See

C'mon...no mention of the obvious...Robert Englund as the creepy janitor. Of course they had to run a commercial for the new Nightmare on Elm Street after one of his scenes in case we forgot about the orignal Freddy Krueger... Glad they did not decide to make him the killer.

April 16 2010 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Andy See's comment
Happy Steve

Yeah, Robert Englund was really great here. I just couldn't help but laugh at everything the creepy janitor did. Nobody plays creepy like he does.

Mmm... I could go for some ribs now. heh heh.

April 16 2010 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rahul

Booth seemed like the only one who was aware that them pretending to be married and dancing was a bad idea, it was putting them in the same crutch they had been their whole partnership by creating a false mate.

April 16 2010 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rahul's comment
beanspants1

Totally agree. If I had been Booth, I would have handed Bones a 'personal massager', and said "Here's your prom date, enjoy the dance."

They never explained, what did the killer do with the ribs?

April 16 2010 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I may have been really tired and slap happy, but I loved the scenes with the creepy janitor and a scene where Booth and Bones enter the gym looking for a murder weapon and see everyone wielding some kind of sharp implement.

April 16 2010 at 9:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

Ditto for most all of what Alicia said.
Though I think they made TOO much of Brennan's outcast status, including the adult behavior toward her.

Wendell would indeed be a broken man if Angela's father got hold of him. Hodgins is her perfect match, and they do belong together and it wouldn't ruin the show's attraction to people, which is why it worked so well with them as a couple. Bring it back!

The killer was too easy to spot this week. Took less than one minute after they introduced the character to guess she was the one who-dunit. Despite the fact that we didn't know as yet who the victim was, there was something there right from the start that screamed "I'm the one".

It was also too obvious the creepy janitor wasn't the one.

Brennan's missed prom dance was sweet.
I think it would be interesting to have future interaction between Brennan and the town sheriff (or whatever capacity she held?).

Was it me or did they wrap the whole thing up too quickly and with much less closure than we're used to expect from the show? It was like, they quietly solved the mystery and voila they're back to DC in the bar. No explanation of what happened in the town, no closure with the peers of Brennan's past.

I was kind of dissatisfied with this episode. It fell flat a couple times, and while the focus seemed to be on Brennan, it was really on Angela's dilemma and the possibility of a future resumed relationship with Hodgins.

April 16 2010 at 6:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply