October 21, 2014

'FlashForward' - 'Let No Man Put Asunder' Recap

by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 15th 2010 11:07PM
'FlashForward' - 'Let No Man Put Asunder'(S01E16) Well, I'm going to have to take serious issue with at least one of the plot threads that went down in this episode, but we'll get to that in a bit. For the first time since 'FlashForward' came back, we knew what day it was: three days before March 15, when Demetri is supposed to die.

Some nice plot threads were woven together, which should make for some interesting drama as we continue hurtling toward our April 29 deadline. It was nice to see Aaron Stark pulled back into the saga, along with a continued focus on Jericho. I still haven't figured out how they're connected to everything just yet, but it should be fun watching Stark try and find out.

The enigmatic Dyson Frost surprised me by taking a far more active and present role in the events of the episode than I would have ever expected. I was anticipating this mysterious shadowy figure making cryptic statements in the background to confound and frustrate Mark, and us. I couldn't have been more wrong.

He's still being cryptic and evasive in that he's not taking Mark's phone calls. Instead, he's working in the fringes of their investigation, making himself known from time to time to string the FBI along for whatever reasons he's come up with for doing so. I didn't, however, expect him to take such an active role in Demetri's supposed forthcoming demise.

I figure Frost for a "big picture" kind of guy when it comes to this whole flashforward situation, which means that Demetri's death must be key in some significant way. We got a pleasant flashback reminder of Al, which refreshes our memories that he sacrificed himself to prove the visions can be changed, just before Demetri's deadline. That's an innocuous way for the writers to remind us that Demetri's death isn't necessarily set in stone, though it looks like it takes a pretty dramatic move to change things.

Here's my issue with the day of the wedding, though. Mark's already made it clear that Demetri could still die on the 15th, even if he's shot up to a few days before that. So why the hell would nobody be by Demetri's side, helping get him to the church. Hell, death looming or no, the groom usually isn't left alone on the big day. Isn't one of the traditional duties of the best man to make sure the groom arrives at the church on time, or at least at all?

And yet Demetri was completely alone in his place, for Frost to abduct him. Which brings us back to speculating why Demetri and his death is so damned important to whatever Frost knows about the future. Is it that his death will push Mark and/or others in the FBI to do what they otherwise wouldn't? Perhaps he's hoping they'll change destiny.

Speaking of that, I've completely given up on Olivia. She clearly has no real commitment to her marriage with Mark, despite what she's said. It's not that hard to not fall into Lloyd's arms, though the kids setting up play dates together doesn't hurt. Lloyd doesn't seem to mind breaking up their marriage, but what does he have to lose in doing so? Olivia has her family to lose, and she's been vehement in saying that she wants to do everything she could to avoid that.

Or maybe she just wanted Mark to do everything he could to avoid it, and if he's not going to quit his job at the FBI and move away with her, then she doesn't care either and she might as well throw herself into Lloyd's arms. That'll show him! Yes, your marriage isn't perfect, but if you truly didn't want it to end, and you knew already about a moment in the future in which it had already done so with this guy, why are you just letting it happen?

I guess Olivia thinks Mark's a bigger dick than I did throughout the first half of the season. I think he's gotten much better since that hiatus, but I guess Olivia isn't seeing much of him these days so she's missed out on the changes.

Knowing now that Janis is the mole changes every scene with her. As powerful as her revelation to Demetri was that she's pregnant, I'm not even sure if I should believe her about it. She could be working an angle to get into his head psychologically; after all, he did cheat on his fiance with her in Somalia. I appreciate that it adds layers to her character, and makes us watch her more closely, which is intriguing, but I'm with a lot of you in that I really liked her. It's disappointing to lose her to the bad guys, unless she is some sort of strange double agent.

I love the idea of Aaron being Wedick's secret, off-the-books agent on his way into Afghanistan to track his daughter. It not only makes the idea of him accomplishing this mission much more plausible, but it adds some much needed depth to the character of Wedick now. I'm not sure if I trust the Vice President after she gave Wedick that in-or-out speech. I suddenly got a flash of her helping to orchestrate the President's downfall to elevate her own status.

We didn't make it to D-Day this week, which means next week is all about whether or not Demetri dies. The story could move forward in two very different ways depending on his survival. What do you think they'll do?

[See if you can spot the clues with clips and full episodes of 'FlashForward' on SlashControl.]

Joel

My theory all along: Dimitri's unconscious when the flash forward happens...that's why he doesn't see anything. Then they falsify the reports of his death by that gun. They recruited two FBI agents...why couldn't they fake someone's death (Frost already did it for himself).

April 19 2010 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bonbon99

Olivia is really stupid. My first response when she went over to Lloyd's place was, "Why didn't you call?" Then Lloyd posed the same question.

Invite in? Big no-no. So, of course, she went in. Offer of gin? Big BIG no-no. So, of course, she drank some. The kiss deserved a double face-palm.

"I would do anything to save our marriage." Yeah, right. You gave him an impossible choice, sweetie. How many wives would tell a guy, "It's our family or the world"? No, strike that. How many wives would expect the former answer?

I'm sorry, but I was under the impression that Demitri didn't cheat on Zoey at all. I thought they just talked about it but ultimately decided not to. Missed something evidently.

Can't wait for next week's episode!

April 18 2010 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Howard Flysher

Olivia was lying to Mark she knew she was in LOVE with Lloyd and wanted to escape before it couild become a real romance. Like Lloyd said he was in the room with her on April 29th and knew what they meant to each other. And she has said from the start she had feelings for Lloyd

April 17 2010 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

It's always great to see a production shoot in the famous Bradbury Building where so many films & TV shows have been. My favorite was the superb The Outer Limits classic episode "Demon with a Glass Hand" that was written by Harlan Ellison & featured the late Robert Culp.

April 16 2010 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erin

I'm still not entirely convinced that Janice has betrayed the FBI. Is it possible that she deduced Simon's role from the evidence presented? She took a risk approaching him but by speaking vaguely, she got him to confess, so to speak, to what she had already assumed. If I recall correctly, she never actually admitted her involvement, or even came out with an accusation, just let Simon fill in the blanks. She may have done this with or without Stan's prior consent or she may have told him after the fact (or not at all), and we just didn't see that scene. It's just a theory, but one I'm clinging to until I no longer can, because I really like Janice.

April 16 2010 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

Olivia is now irredeemable.

Mark. He's fought to pull his life together. He's out there fighting the good fight, knowing that it puts his life in Jeopardy.

Olivia. Delivering ultimatums, forcing Mark to choose between saving countless lives and keeping his family. Running into the arms of another man and then chatting with Mark on the phone like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth. Ugh.

The Demetri thing doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother others. I can kinda sorta go with the premise that Demetri was, once again (See hostage situation), playing the hard head and waved off the attempt to provide him with security.

Next week looks really good. Can't wait.

April 16 2010 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
charles

I totally had the same thought about Demetri being left alone. In there world, there is a near-certainty that someone is going to at least try to kill him. So, why was he left alone? Why wasn't he in protective custody with trusted bodyguards? Beyond simply the whole "let's not let him get dead" part, catching his attacker would likely help the investigation.

April 16 2010 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FNi

I'm so glad that somebody else picked up on Demetri being left alone. Huge plot holes are nothing new to FlashForward but that one was unbelievably bad. Trained FBI agents know their 'friend' is supposed to die in 24 hours and they just leave him alone and all wait quietly in the chapel? Come on.

Even in the same episode Mark mentioned that Demetri may get shot at an earlier point and then die in the hospital on the 15th.

Oh and how's this for a theory on Demetri's death (which I don't actually think will happen, as John Cho is one of the few likeable characters): Mark finds out Janis is a mole, a fire fight ensues, Mark goes to kill Janis but Demetri steps in because she's carrying his unborn child. The bullet meant for Janis hits Demetri instead.

Any takers?

April 16 2010 at 9:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to FNi's comment
karine22

'Mark finds out Janis is a mole, a fire fight ensues, Mark goes to kill Janis but Demetri steps in because she's carrying his unborn child. The bullet meant for Janis hits Demetri instead.'

waow! you should become a script writer. I think that is an awesome development. Cannot see how they could have a more exciting story than this.

I am still curious how the lady who told Dimitri that he will be shot 3 times by Mark's gun is involved. As she protected D. Gibbons till the moment Mark and Dimitri showed up to meet her. I hope they will explain all the loose ends.

April 16 2010 at 7:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zita

What can I say? I think u just nailed it! Wow, the writers won't be happy about your cleverness, that's for sure! Well done!

April 18 2010 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jessica

great observation about Demetri being alone in his place before the wedding. that's doesn't seem right to me. and yes, the scenes with Janis are so exciting to watch now!!

April 16 2010 at 8:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Z3Relic

After watching this episode, I just felt like they were rushing something. I mean, the relationships suddenly developing, it's like they just wanted to put every episode of not wanting to let that future happen and just saying, oh screw it.

Seriously, it was nauseating to watch this one.

April 16 2010 at 3:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply